DisplayLink Forum

DisplayLink Forum (https://displaylink.org/forum/index.php)
-   Linux and Open Source (https://displaylink.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   USB cut off (https://displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=68071)

maxmonz 12-30-2021 10:56 AM

USB cut off

Hi,

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad T580 notebook connected to an i-Tec docking station via usb-c cable. All USB peripherals (mouse, keyboard, etc.) and 2 monitors (HDMI) are connected to the docking station.
I used DisplayLink driver to make everything working fine until the version 5.4.0.89 of Linux kernel.
With version 5.4.0.90 and the latest 5.4.0.91 a strange situation occurs. Occasionally the monitors darken and even the mouse does not respond. From in-depth analysis it seems that there is a problem on the USB bus for which the devices are disconnected for a few seconds until everything starts working again.
It is definitely a problem related to the new kernels because everything was fine with the previous ones.
Anyone have an idea and can help me?
Thanks

snipe122 01-10-2022 09:06 AM

Facing the same issue. I also think it's related to the latest kernel / firmware somehow. Not sure if it is a Displaylink problem at all, maybe it's connected to USB firmware.

I have only bluetooth mouse / keyboard and cannot connect my monitor directly to the laptop. Maybe to test, can you connect everything directly to your computer and see if keyboard / mouse stop working at some point? That would indicate a problem with the USB firmware itself which then kills our displaylink docks as well :mad:

snipe122 01-20-2022 06:24 AM

I just remembered that i had this fix applied before. Trying it again now, either it got vanished due to some update or at least something reactivated this behavior. I think I remember that I had undone this fix after some upgrade and it was working fine since but now it started again.

Comment out this line in /etc/pulse/default.pa

Code:

### Automatically suspend sinks/sources that become idle for too long
# load-module module-suspend-on-idle

I'll report back how it goes. Just had a blackout before and applied the fix now. If I don't get another blackout during the day I guess this fix is working again.

snipe122 01-20-2022 06:35 AM

Just got a blackout again, you can forget about this "fix" then.

maxmonz 01-24-2022 06:34 PM

I was hoping...
I didn't try yet to connect mouse and kboard directly to the notebook because I always forget.
I will

maxmonz 01-25-2022 09:49 PM

I tried to connect mouse and keyboard to the notebook instead of the docking station.
I have the same problem.
There is something related to kernel that cut usb. It can't be explained in any other way.

maxmonz 02-01-2022 04:18 PM

Any other idea or suggestion?

snipe122 02-03-2022 08:49 AM

Maybe you can open a support ticket for it? I don't think this forum is actively monitored by the staff at all times.

maxmonz 02-17-2022 08:50 AM

Problem solved. The support game me a patch for the device's firmware.

snipe122 02-18-2022 10:55 AM

Oh wow, new firmware for your docking station?