DisplayLink Forum

DisplayLink Forum (https://displaylink.org/forum/index.php)
-   Windows Software (https://displaylink.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Night Light with D6000 dock (https://displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=65788)

robbo 12-01-2017 12:08 PM

Night Light with D6000 dock

Night light feature in the latest released build of Windows 10 does not work with the dock's display adapter. Driver v. 8.3.2008.0 (9/12/2017)

The dock’s hardware id starts with USB\VID_17E9&PID_60 which I assume is the cause for EnableGammaRamp key failing to have due effect. What is key for the more advanced piece of equipment? Could you enable the ID series in the upcoming driver release?

Thank you.

AlbanRampon 12-01-2017 01:31 PM

You are correct.
That feature has not been developed so it is not expect to work.

Currently on Windows 10, using F.lux gives almost identical functionality to the new night light setting. Had we known that it would become inboxed, maybe we could have reviewed our priorities at the time, but we did not. F.lux did some development work to enable this.

Doing colour correction requires development and is not just a switch to flick.

Also, this will not be possible on HDMI below 4K on that hardware. HDMI output includes passive DisplayPort++ as it is (roughly) HDMI signals over a DisplayPort plug. This is a technical limitation.

The feature priority is currently under review. The upcoming release, 8.4, is already frozen as it is under final tests before getting out.

Regards,
Alban

robbo 12-19-2017 08:36 PM

You know your hardware better, but f.lux has limitations of its own. Screenshots taken when f.lux is active have reddish hue.

Even unofficial expansion of support of the feature to the chip within D6000 will be appreciated, if it is simple matter of adding qualification string for another device. Then it will be up to users to sort out limitations related to certain resolutions and connection types.

Thank you.

Wim 09-24-2019 09:56 AM

Flux is now supported on some devices and can be enabled by following this article:

https://support.displaylink.com/know...ticles/1886413

Wim

havranek1024 03-31-2020 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlbanRampon (Post 84776)
Also, this will not be possible on HDMI below 4K on that hardware. HDMI output includes passive DisplayPort++ as it is (roughly) HDMI signals over a DisplayPort plug. This is a technical limitation.

I understand that because it's a technical limitation this will not be supported even in future versions of the driver. Is there any way to overcome this limitation? Using active DP -> HDMI converter? Any software workaround? Just anything that would make f.lux or night light work, as it's extremely uncomfortable to work without it.

AlbanRampon 03-31-2020 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by havranek1024 (Post 89572)
I understand that because it's a technical limitation this will not be supported even in future versions of the driver. Is there any way to overcome this limitation? Using active DP -> HDMI converter? Any software workaround? Just anything that would make f.lux or night light work, as it's extremely uncomfortable to work without it.

Hello,
Which brand and model of end product are you using?
Kind regards,
Alban

havranek1024 03-31-2020 07:16 PM

Hi,
I'm using i-tec 3x 4K Docking Station (CATRIPLE4KDOCKPD). I'm not using it's native HDMI output (which is DP alt-mode), but a passive DP -> HDMI converter. I believe those DP ports are driven by DL-6950 chip.

Regards,
Michał

AlbanRampon 04-01-2020 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by havranek1024 (Post 89574)
Hi,
I'm using i-tec 3x 4K Docking Station (CATRIPLE4KDOCKPD). I'm not using it's native HDMI output (which is DP alt-mode), but a passive DP -> HDMI converter. I believe those DP ports are driven by DL-6950 chip.

Regards,
Michał

Hello Michał,
Using a passive adapter means DP++, which means (roughly) HDMI signals over the DP plug.
I am afraid you'd need an active adapter so DisplayPort out is used.
But, before you spend money, could you confirm monitor make and model? I need to check its pixel clock...
Kind regards,
Alban

havranek1024 04-01-2020 05:18 PM

Sure, my display is Samsung LS24E390HL/EN.
Thanks for help, those technical details are way over my head :)

As I understand, no software workaround is possible?

Regards,
Michał

AlbanRampon 04-02-2020 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by havranek1024 (Post 89582)
Sure, my display is Samsung LS24E390HL/EN.
Thanks for help, those technical details are way over my head :)

As I understand, no software workaround is possible?

Regards,
Michał

Hello Michał,

From DisplayLink, this needs an active adapter for your display.

But, long before Night Mode was added to Windows, F.lux wrote software for most platforms to achieve blue light reduction.
They have added a function for DisplayLink when EnableGammaRamp is not helpful.
It works differently, as software cannot easily replace the hardware block, and therefore has some drawbacks: mouse cursor isn't "filtered" (so I recommend you switch to black mouse cursor), and printscreen will be "filtered" (but there's a key shortcut to enable/disable f.lux layer). You need to remove the EnableGammaRamp registry if you wish to use F.lux, otherwise you will get twice the effect on the DisplayPort display.
https://justgetflux.com/ is where to get F.lux from.

Kind regards,
Alban