DisplayLink Forum

DisplayLink Forum (https://displaylink.org/forum/index.php)
-   Linux and Open Source (https://displaylink.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Ubuntu 18.04, D6000 and Displaylink Release 5.3.1 (https://displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=67119)

Ilhan 05-18-2020 08:29 AM

Ubuntu 18.04, D6000 and Displaylink Release 5.3.1
 
I have always used the displaylink drivers with a Dell D6000 and an Ubuntu laptop. All versions before release 5.3.1. would fail and some point the connected display would go black and stay that way, the mouse would flicker and would stay like that. Only way to fix it was to pull the usb-c out and put it back in.

With the current release it has gotten better ,the connected display still goes black but returns after 3-5 seconds, it disconnects the network, but connects again. This is particularly bad when being in videocalls, but it has improved the time I can spend on the bigger display a lot. Also when I use a cable e.g. displayport to usb-c this issue doesn't arise.

Just wanted to add that release 5.3.1. is a lot better then the releases before and hoping it will get better in the short time.

I was also wondering where I can add my logs and feedback, so the bug fixing on the crashes can improve. If someone can point me in the right direction with issues and logs that would be helpful

snipe122 05-18-2020 10:03 AM

Regarding the blackouts there is a workaround. It works for me and I have the same setup (D6000):

You need to comment out "load-module module-suspend-on-idle" in /etc/pulse/default.pa:

#load-module module-suspend-on-idle

However, are you not affected with the slowness bug when you close the laptop screen?

micsnare 05-18-2020 04:37 PM

Hi all,

I am affected by the slowness bug, when I close the lid of the laptop and work on two external monitors. This seems to be a bug in the evdi component (there's a bug report on github).

since the latest displaylink version I get kicked out of my X-Session various times. This is reproducible/repeatable.

I was wondering, which version of evdi and which version of displaylink are you using?

JakubDabrowski 05-19-2020 08:07 AM

Hello Ilhan,

Thank you for contacting our support.

I would recommend updating your D6000 firmware. It can be unfortunately only done on the Windows machine.

Please follow this link.
Please remember to perform the update without any device connected to D6000.

After the upgrade please verify the issue on your Ubuntu machine and let me know about the outcome.

Best regards,
Jakub

Ilhan 05-19-2020 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JakubDabrowski (Post 89956)
Hello Ilhan,

Thank you for contacting our support.

I would recommend updating your D6000 firmware. It can be unfortunately only done on the Windows machine.

Please follow this link.
Please remember to perform the update without any device connected to D6000.

After the upgrade please verify the issue on your Ubuntu machine and let me know about the outcome.

Best regards,
Jakub

Hello Jakub, I think I did that at some point. As the latest firmware dates back to 24 Jun 2019. I haven been trying to find how check my firmware version of the dock on my linux machine, just be sure.

snipe122 05-19-2020 05:31 PM

Hi Jakub,

I already have the latest firmware installed, it doesn't change anything. And as you can see in the forums it's not only this dock that has those problems, it is a generic issue.

Neil Kidd 05-21-2020 11:35 AM

Thnaks for the fix :)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by snipe122 (Post 89950)
Regarding the blackouts there is a workaround. It works for me and I have the same setup (D6000):

You need to comment out "load-module module-suspend-on-idle" in /etc/pulse/default.pa:

#load-module module-suspend-on-idle

However, are you not affected with the slowness bug when you close the laptop screen?

Thanks for this. I can confirm the above fix is working for me - though I never close the lid.

Previously the external monitors and connection would drop out. WFH on a call was frustrating!

My config:
- Dell Latitude 7490
- Dell D6000 dock
- 2 * Dell u2515h monitors
- Ubuntu Mate 20.04 LTS

Thanks again.

JakubDabrowski 05-22-2020 09:55 AM

Dear users,

I would like to shed some light on this issue that you are experiencing.

The issue started some time ago and we have verified that it has been coming from the system itself and not from our driver.

Firstly, it was needed to re-plug the device and it was also our fix for this issue. Right now we have changed it and the re-plug is not needed anymore but the screen may blink for maximum few seconds and it happens automatically which was not the case with a re-plug.

Secondly, we are planning in the future releases for Ubuntu drivers to get the option to disable U1/U2 so the device will never get into this state and hence the blink or re-plug will not be needed.

Thank you very much for your patience and cooperation. We do greatly appreciate your feedback and activeness here on the forum.

If you would have any questions, feel free to post them here or write on this email address: technical_enquiries@displaylink.com

Best regards,
Jakub

Ilhan 05-22-2020 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil Kidd (Post 89981)
Thanks for this. I can confirm the above fix is working for me - though I never close the lid.

Previously the external monitors and connection would drop out. WFH on a call was frustrating!

My config:
- Dell Latitude 7490
- Dell D6000 dock
- 2 * Dell u2515h monitors
- Ubuntu Mate 20.04 LTS

Thanks again.

Same here, been working a full day with the display hooked on the D6000 and it didn't switch off once. Thank you.

snipe122 05-23-2020 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JakubDabrowski (Post 89986)
Dear users,

I would like to shed some light on this issue that you are experiencing.

The issue started some time ago and we have verified that it has been coming from the system itself and not from our driver.

Firstly, it was needed to re-plug the device and it was also our fix for this issue. Right now we have changed it and the re-plug is not needed anymore but the screen may blink for maximum few seconds and it happens automatically which was not the case with a re-plug.

Secondly, we are planning in the future releases for Ubuntu drivers to get the option to disable U1/U2 so the device will never get into this state and hence the blink or re-plug will not be needed.

Thank you very much for your patience and cooperation. We do greatly appreciate your feedback and activeness here on the forum.

If you would have any questions, feel free to post them here or write on this email address: technical_enquiries@displaylink.com

Best regards,
Jakub

Hi Jakub,

when can we expect some fix for this?

Thank you!


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:09 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.