DisplayLink Forum

DisplayLink Forum (https://displaylink.org/forum/index.php)
-   Mac Software (https://displaylink.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Monitors periodically go blank (https://displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=67538)

STexDrip 01-12-2021 04:29 PM

Monitors periodically go blank

I have MacBook Pro 16" connected to external monitor (Acer S231HL) via Plugable USB 3.0 docking station. DisplayLink Manager 1.2.0 (Build 55.125) installed and running. Running external monitor as an extended monitor.

Both MacBook and Acer monitors frequently go momentarily blank. Anyone else have similar issue and solution?

sliberty 01-13-2021 12:30 AM

I am using a brand new M1 based Mac Mini, and loaded DisplayLink on Saturday, so i is the latest version. I am having the same issue - my HDMI monitor periodically goes blank. Note, I also have a USB monitor, and it doesn't go blank. But, the USB monitor is not detected about 1/2 of the time, and I have to unplug and reconnect the USB monitor to get it to be detected.

The download page indicates that the current release of DL is only supported up to 11.0.1, and I am on 11.1. So I hope and assume that there will be a new version of DL sometime soon to support the 11.1 version of macOS.

STexDrip 01-13-2021 01:26 AM

I am also running Big Sur 11.1, new computer, most recent available DisplayLink Software, and HDMI monitor connection.

ShadowNZ 01-13-2021 01:58 AM

My Workaround

Hi there,

I have the same problem as well. One way I get around it is by:

1. Having everything plugged in and the DisplayLink app running.
2. Quitting the DisplayLink app (so my 2 external monitors disconnect)
3. Unplugging the USB-C docking station cable
4. Wake my MacBook Pro 16" laptop
5. Re-connect the USB-C cable to the docking station
6. Wait for 1 of the external monitors to appear
7. Close the lid to my MacBook Pro 16"
8. Open the Display Link app
9. All fixed

Not sure if this will help you guys, but worth a try.

sliberty 01-13-2021 03:55 AM

After reading those steps, I attempted a poor man's version of the procedure: I quit and restarted DisplayLink Manager. Since doing so (approx 2 hours), my screen hasn't gone blank. Previously it would go blank every few minutes.

Not sure if this will work next time (I assume there will be a next time, perhaps after a reboot). But for now, I am happier.

Hope a new version comes along soon that solves this problem.

STexDrip 01-13-2021 09:30 PM

I tried several variations of the suggestions. Reduced the frequency of blank screens but did not eliminate the problem.

Yes, hoping for an updated DisplayLink app soon.

gklin 01-15-2021 02:12 PM

I have the same issue , the monitor periodically goes to blank and return in 1s.

My USB to HDMI adapter is Tek Republic TUA-400 with Macbook Air m1.
https://tek-republic.com/products/tua-400

georgeboydratcliff@me.com 01-16-2021 09:40 AM

Possible solution?

Hi
I may have stumbled on a fix. I read somewhere else that people were having problems with 'broken' colour profiles. So I opened the Settings...Displays, and then on each monitor reset the colour profile to the default for that monitor (in my case Samsung U28E590) .... and the periodic blanking I was getting has stopped! Previously it was blanking for about a second every minute or so)
Hope this works for you!

CyriouslyDylan 01-26-2021 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by georgeboydratcliff@me.com (Post 91404)
Hi
I may have stumbled on a fix. I read somewhere else that people were having problems with 'broken' colour profiles. So I opened the Settings...Displays, and then on each monitor reset the colour profile to the default for that monitor (in my case Samsung U28E590) .... and the periodic blanking I was getting has stopped! Previously it was blanking for about a second every minute or so)
Hope this works for you!

I just tested this one, and it unfortunately did not work for me

CyriouslyDylan 01-26-2021 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowNZ (Post 91372)
Hi there,

I have the same problem as well. One way I get around it is by:

1. Having everything plugged in and the DisplayLink app running.
2. Quitting the DisplayLink app (so my 2 external monitors disconnect)
3. Unplugging the USB-C docking station cable
4. Wake my MacBook Pro 16" laptop
5. Re-connect the USB-C cable to the docking station
6. Wait for 1 of the external monitors to appear
7. Close the lid to my MacBook Pro 16"
8. Open the Display Link app
9. All fixed

Not sure if this will help you guys, but worth a try.

I attempted this one, but no luck either. It's worth mentioning that step #6 wouldn't work for me as without the Displaylink Manager app running, neither of my external monitors showed up.