DisplayLink Forum

DisplayLink Forum (https://displaylink.org/forum/index.php)
-   Windows Software (https://displaylink.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   5k2k screen on HD620 GPU (can DisplayLink help) ? (https://displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=67722)

Gsud987 06-09-2021 05:46 PM

5k2k screen on HD620 GPU (can DisplayLink help) ?

Hello,

My Work laptop is a HP x360 830 G6 with a intégrated Intel HD620 GPU.
The specifications tell me it can't output a greater resolution than 4K.
I also have a HP USB-C Universal Dock which can output 5120 × 2880 apparently.

I'm looking to buy a new screen from DELL.
Either the U4021QW (5 120 x 2160) or the U4919DW (5 120 x 1 440).

Question : Could i use the HP dock with the DisplayLink technologie to bybass the limitation of the intel GPU and use the full native resolution on this screens at 60 hz ?

I'm sorry if my question is kind of dumb. I think it's ok but i'm not familiar with displaylink and i don't want to spend so much money on a non working setup.

Thank you for your help :)

rboerner 06-10-2021 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gsud987 (Post 92057)
Hello,

My Work laptop is a HP x360 830 G6 with a intégrated Intel HD620 GPU.
The specifications tell me it can't output a greater resolution than 4K.
I also have a HP USB-C Universal Dock which can output 5120 × 2880 apparently.

I'm looking to buy a new screen from DELL.
Either the U4021QW (5 120 x 2160) or the U4919DW (5 120 x 1 440).

Question : Could i use the HP dock with the DisplayLink technologie to bybass the limitation of the intel GPU and use the full native resolution on this screens at 60 hz ?

I'm sorry if my question is kind of dumb. I think it's ok but i'm not familiar with displaylink and i don't want to spend so much money on a non working setup.

Thank you for your help :)

Can you please provide a direct web link to the HP Universal Docking Station you are using, or provide the specific product number? For example --> Product #- 5TW13UT#ABA

I ask because I would like to review the unit's specifications online before offering my opinion.

My impression is that you are referring to this product --> https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/pdp/hp...versal-dock-g2 however I do not want to make any incorrect assumptions.

AlbanRampon 06-10-2021 12:18 PM

Hello,

Yes, but the dock also has its specifications.

Due to the video link speed, that dock supports 5K (=5120x2880) using 2 DisplayPort cables for 1 display, and on Windows only. This requires a monitor conceived as tiled mode (=2 panels next to each other without a bezel). I don't believe that new display is tiled so it would not work.

On the other hand, 5K Super Ultrawide (=5120x1440) can fit in that link speed. So you can use 2 of them on the dock, and each with a single DisplayPort cable.

I personally would prefer the Super Ultrawide choice, as the aspect ratio sounds better for productivity.

Regards, Alban

Gsud987 06-10-2021 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rboerner (Post 92062)
Can you please provide a direct web link to the HP Universal Docking Station you are using, or provide the specific product number? For example --> Product #- 5TW13UT#ABA

I ask because I would like to review the unit's specifications online before offering my opinion.

My impression is that you are referring to this product --> https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/pdp/hp...versal-dock-g2 however I do not want to make any incorrect assumptions.

I can't find it on the HP Website. It must be an old version.
I have this one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlbanRampon (Post 92063)
Hello,

Due to the video link speed, that dock supports 5K (=5120x2880) using 2 DisplayPort cables for 1 display, and on Windows only. This requires a monitor conceived as tiled mode (=2 panels next to each other without a bezel). I don't believe that new display is tiled so it would not work.

On the other hand, 5K Super Ultrawide (=5120x1440) can fit in that link speed. So you can use 2 of them on the dock, and each with a single DisplayPort cable.

I personally would prefer the Super Ultrawide choice, as the aspect ratio sounds better for productivity.

Regards, Alban

Thank you. It's clearer for me now.
I was looking for the 40 inch in part because of the higher définition (dpi) for photography works.

clifflinmao 09-27-2021 06:44 PM

Thank you for the anwser, I have a LG 34WK95U (5120x2880) and a Macbook Pro with M1 chip, can I confirm that even with two DP cables for 1 display, it works only for Windows, not Mac?? If not, is that going to be supported on Mac later?

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlbanRampon (Post 92063)
Hello,

Regards, Alban