DisplayLink Forum

DisplayLink Forum (https://displaylink.org/forum/index.php)
-   Linux and Open Source (https://displaylink.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Support Ubuntu 20.04 LTS (Focal Fossa) (https://displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=67007)

bben81 05-14-2020 02:00 PM

same problem

hi,
i use a lenovo thinkpad L460 with ubuntu 20.04 and dual boot windows 10 with an usb3 targus dockstation. When i use ubuntu 20.04, I have the same problem if I close the laptop screen. In mirror or extended mode, no slowdown.
Under windows, no problem whatever the mode used.

xitiomet 05-14-2020 06:00 PM

Lag

I'm also experiencing extreme lag under ubuntu 20.04, using the latest displaylink driver 5.3.1.34

Everything worked fine in 19.04 with displaylink 5.2.14

micsnare 05-16-2020 08:24 AM

Dear friends,

I have been experiencing this issue for quite some time, since I run Arch Linux (rolling-release with always the most recent updates) therefore I run into these problems often and always very early.
I have identified this problem already over a month ago.
This seems to be a problem with the evdi-component that is installed with the displaylink driver (it's a dependency).

Someone has reported this upstream (with the Displaylink developers), since the displaylink driver depends on it.

@JakubDabrowski and @mlukaszek (Michal)

PLEASE REACH OUT TO ME. I'M HAPPY TO COLLABORATE TO GET THIS FIXED WITH YOU.

Here's the link to the evdi-bug report:
https://github.com/DisplayLink/evdi/issues/181

By the way, see the links below.... I have reported similar behaviour in the past quite often:

https://displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=66906
https://displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=65346
https://displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=65281
https://displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=65296

mrderooij 05-22-2020 08:49 AM

Desktop Displaylink behaviour

I use a displaylink device (HP portreplicator 3005pr) to switch between Ubuntu desktop and windows laptop. Two monitors.
Issue with the desktop: clean install Ubuntu 20.04 and following displaylinks installation instructions for 5.3.1 driver. Works fine with one monitor connected to video out on the desktop and one one displaylink device.
Both on the displaylink device mouse movement okay, but reactions on actions to slow, serveral seconds (>5), reaction on typing also lagging behind.

Second try: clean install Ubuntu 20.04 and following display link instructions, but instead of libdrm-dev I used the non dev version. same behaviour, but reactions speed now increased tot a lag of 3 seconds when alle displays are on the displaylink device.
Video Both on Displaylink
Video One on Displaylink On on desktop video out

snipe122 05-24-2020 11:34 AM

Hi,

as I wrote in the other thread: don't know how it is for others, but for me the issue seems to be fixed. Can close my lid and still system is responsive...

I guess some recent Ubuntu patch fixed it again?

Update: Unfortunately the issue still exists. It seems it was by pure luck it was working that time. After reboot back to the old 5s lag when lid is closed... !

mrderooij 06-04-2020 02:35 PM

issue checked this morning, no progress

Hey,
checked the issue this morning. Same behaviour.

snipe122 06-09-2020 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JakubDabrowski (Post 89846)
Hello,

Thank you for your patience.

As I have mentioned yesterday, we were working on a installation fix for Ubuntu 20.04.

Here it is: https://www.displaylink.com/downloads/file?id=1576

Please verify that version and if you would face any issues inform us.

Thank you very much for your cooperation!

Best regards,
Jakub

Hi Jakub,

could you please update us if your team is working on any fix for the lag issue and if there is any ETA on this?

Thank you

snipe122 06-11-2020 08:15 AM

Hi Jakub,

I could not reply to the other thread, it was closed.

I have tried the fix and can confirm it is working. I can close my laptop lid and the system is behaving normal, e.g. no lag.

Regards

mrderooij 06-11-2020 12:22 PM

seems to work

first trail today. Fix seems to work

rick_pri 06-12-2020 08:40 AM

I seem to have the same issue on Xorg, even when I have an HDMI screen as well as a DP screen connected, but with the laptop lid closed. When I switch to Wayland it's much better but the input stalls frequently leading to input being repeated a number of times.

I'll wait until the patch comes out to see if it helps but I see latency on the same dock with the same devices connected on Wayland with the laptop display in use, so it may be that this is the most obvious issue currently but that there may be a lot of other issues to resolve at the moment.

McGregor80 07-01-2020 07:33 AM

Cursor jumping and pixeling,

I just installed the USB to HDMI extension to may Ubuntu 20.04 LTS. Installed displaylink-driver-5.3.1.34.run. It's a thinkPad laptop with closed screen which is connected through docking station to one DisplayPort screen and one VGA screen.

The USB screen is displaying correctly.
The issue i have is that as soon as i use mouse the cursor starts to jump around and sometimes pixeling. I can't perform basic operations like grab and drag as the cursor location changes. When not using mouse it seems to be stable.

Changing the refresh rate for the USB to HDMI screen from 60 to 50Hz decreased the scale of the issue a little bit, but the problem persists.
Tried to move the mouse to another USB port and even change the mouse

Is there any solution for that ?

jigglywiggly 07-08-2020 06:10 AM

I am using Ubuntu 20.04, Wayland, an rx5700
5.3.1 is the displaylink version

Installation was a breeze, however performance is very bad. I am on a dl 6950
On Windows performance is great, here however it's not usable.

I am using Wayland.
Monitor setup:
Left: 1080p Potrait
Center: 1440p 144hz (On primary gpu)
Right: 4k 60hz

This is a desktop system, I can plug all the displays into the rx5700 and it works fine, but I am testing this device.

There is extreme lag moving the mouse/dragging windows.

mrderooij 07-13-2020 06:52 AM

please cgeck https://www.displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=67148

@jigglywiggly

Having problems? Please check https://www.displaylink.org/forum/sh...ad.php?t=67148

It is working fine so far.

jigglywiggly 07-13-2020 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrderooij (Post 90315)
@jigglywiggly

Having problems? Please check https://www.displaylink.org/forum/sh...ad.php?t=67148

It is working fine so far.

Hmm, it says that is not for amd only machines which mine is, I will try it anyway though.
EDIT: Went ahead and tried it, rebooted it and it didn't do anything.

fitter 07-24-2020 12:42 PM

Unfortunately this performance issue also affects my AMD-only laptop running Ubuntu 20.04 and my new docking station.
Is there any ETA for possible fix?

emericv 08-04-2020 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fitter (Post 90389)
Unfortunately this performance issue also affects my AMD-only laptop running Ubuntu 20.04 and my new docking station.
Is there any ETA for possible fix?

I have same issue on a laptop with AMD GPU : the second screen (using DisplayLink) is detected but the display is very jerky

mugiwara 08-07-2020 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emericv (Post 90448)
I have same issue on a laptop with AMD GPU : the second screen (using DisplayLink) is detected but the display is very jerky

Having the same exact issue with AMDGPU + DisplayLink as well.

My workaround has been to stay with Ubuntu 18.04 using the DisplayLink 5.3.1 driver for Ubuntu for the time being alongside the AMDGPU-PRO driver as that seems to be the only working configuration for me, but it's not ideal, especially considering I'm having to use the AMDGPU-PRO driver which has had compatibility issues with running software that works fine using the AMDGPU open-source driver. The lack of proper support for AMDGPU is what's keeping me from upgrading to Ubuntu 20.04 LTS and it seems like this issue has been brought up my numerous people for a few months now with no real answers or estimations on progress. :confused:

I would definitely advise DisplayLink to make their drivers fully open source, as many others have suggested over the past several years. That way, you know, us pesky Linux users wouldn't have to be so much of a bother. ;) I think it'd be to their benefit anyway, it's not like open source contributors would be seeing any of the profits DisplayLink makes and if anything it'll help to get their software available on more platforms which ultimately results in greater revenue for them.

fitter 08-07-2020 01:33 PM

I just realized that all displaylink developer replies were about "1FPS problem" when laptop screen is off. I failed to find any mention of screen lag for external monitors problem. Which is a little bit worrying me. Nevertheless we have vacations season rn, lets hope this topic will be addressed soon.

I could even live some time with lagging external screen, I can just display there some static things and mainly work on my laptop screen. But this problem also affects my laptop's audio, which gets some hiccups. I cant accept it unfortunately...

Quote:

Originally Posted by mugiwara (Post 90475)
My workaround has been to stay with Ubuntu 18.04 using the DisplayLink 5.3.1 driver for

Be careful with updates, looks like new kernel for 18.04 also breaks DisplayLink
https://www.displaylink.org/forum/sh...ad.php?t=67228

mugiwara 08-07-2020 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fitter;90477
Be careful with updates, looks like new kernel for 18.04 also breaks DisplayLink
[url
https://www.displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=67228[/url]

Yeah, I'm aware. The latest 18.04 kernel using the latest DisplayLink driver for 18.04 did indeed break DisplayLink with AMDGPU, which is the main reason I'm using the 5.3.1 DisplayLink driver as it's an older version that seems to be working fine with the latest kernel alongside AMDGPU-PRO.

Without these workarounds, my external monitor exhibits high latency and really bad screen tearing. The monitor behaves fine with AMDGPU-PRO, so I doubt the fix is impossible. Hopefully some sort of update is given soon considering it seems to be affecting AMDGPU users as a whole and is likely keeping some, like myself, from updating to Ubuntu 20.04 LTS.

mrderooij 09-02-2020 07:44 PM

When is the new fix comming

Hello,

The fix worked fine, but is now running behind a few security updates. can you please append the fix to the latest version?

Mark

fitter 09-09-2020 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fitter (Post 90477)
I could even live some time with lagging external screen, I can just display there some static things and mainly work on my laptop screen. But this problem also affects my laptop's audio, which gets some hiccups. I cant accept it unfortunately...

Small update. Ubuntu 20.04 got minor kernel update recently, so I decided to install the displaylink driver again and check if it fixed the external screen responsiveness (it didn't...).
But by accident I discovered something else, audio provided by the docking station is not as jerky as the native laptop's headphone output. Small win, I can now use the external screens to do some tasks
Edit: It's not completely fine, I can still hear cracking when window displayed on the external screen refreshes it's content

@any_displaylink_dev
Are you aware of the performance issue on AMD systems running 20.04? I see that "1fps when laptop screen disabled" bug got some attention and there is a work going on it. I don't know if the problem I am facing is related to it or no. If you want I can provide more data

thopiekar 09-11-2020 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fitter (Post 90690)
Small update. Ubuntu 20.04 got minor kernel update recently, so I decided to install the displaylink driver again and check if it fixed the external screen responsiveness (it didn't...).
But by accident I discovered something else, audio provided by the docking station is not as jerky as the native laptop's headphone output. Small win, I can now use the external screens to do some tasks
Edit: It's not completely fine, I can still hear cracking when window displayed on the external screen refreshes it's content

@any_displaylink_dev
Are you aware of the performance issue on AMD systems running 20.04? I see that "1fps when laptop screen disabled" bug got some attention and there is a work going on it. I don't know if the problem I am facing is related to it or no. If you want I can provide more data

Got the same 1fps thing here with Nvidia hardware. I can only assume that the OS tries to save power and trottles the GPU or the USB controllers. I tried to prevent this but no success. Any ideas here?

thopiekar 09-25-2020 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thopiekar (Post 90696)
Got the same 1fps thing here with Nvidia hardware. I can only assume that the OS tries to save power and trottles the GPU or the USB controllers. I tried to prevent this but no success. Any ideas here?

The DisplayLink staff is working on getting fixes merged into Xorg-Xserver.
For Ubuntu 20.04 they provide a package with a temporary fix.
Just google or search around here.

pat1 09-26-2020 09:45 AM

Latest kernel

I forced my system (20.04) with the latest kernel available.
With the latest kernel from apt-get dist-upgrade (5.4) still had problems, then used this script to get kerlnel 5.8 and now works fine.
:eek:

Only side problem is that my vmware and virtualbox stopped to work because no drivers available for this kernel. Great oppurtunity to learn 'virt-manager' qemu kvm stuff ...

fitter 09-26-2020 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pat1 (Post 90769)
With the latest kernel from apt-get dist-upgrade (5.4) still had problems, then used this script to get kerlnel 5.8 and now works fine.

Only side problem is that my vmware and virtualbox stopped to work because no drivers available for this kernel. Great oppurtunity to learn 'virt-manager' qemu kvm stuff ...

Good to hear that. 20.04 probably will get 5.8 kernel next month as another point release with stuff from Ubuntu 20.10.

I am not very familiar with kernel development, but since 5.4 is LTS, used by the most popular Linux distros rn and affected by nasty displaylink bug which was fixed in later kernel versions. Shouldn't it get the fix backported then?

Ah, btw. I tried installing proprietary AMDGPU drivers to check if it fixes anything - no changes at all...

andy_g 09-27-2020 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pat1 (Post 90769)

I've been testing Linux again recently and can confirm Release: 5.3.1 05 May 2020 seems to work on my AMD 4800H CPU with Kernel Version 5.8.12-050812-generic although it seems to use more CPU than I would think reasonable - over 30% at times :eek:

I'm going to try the special Ubuntu xserver-xorg-core version stickied to see if that helps but at least I can see my AOC USB 3 monitor now on one Linux distribution finally so thanks :p

EDIT - All is working well the latest 5.8.12 kernel with no high cpu usage. I installed the kernel via the mainline 'app' plus the latest displaylink-driver-5.3.1.34 from Display link direct on Kunbuntu 20.04 LTS

mauromol 10-10-2020 04:34 PM

I have recently upgraded from Linux Mint 18.3 (Ubuntu 16.04) to Kubuntu 20.04. The improvement I see in DisplayLink behavior is noticeable: no more screen corruptions even if I use the OpenGL compositor and VSync, for instance, and no apparent performance issue (the video seems to work just fine, like if I had the monitor connected directly to the HDMI port of my notebook).

However, what is not working is audio: even if I have the output in Kubuntu audio panel ("USB3.0 Dual Video Dock") and even if I try to change the output profile to anything listed there (from digital stereo IEC958 output to analog stereo, 2.1, 5.1, what else output), I hear no audio neither from headphones connected to the audio jack in the front of the docking station, nor from the speakers of my monitor connected to the docking station through HDMI.

Has anyone this problem?

mauromol 10-12-2020 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mauromol (Post 90827)
I have recently upgraded from Linux Mint 18.3 (Ubuntu 16.04) to Kubuntu 20.04. The improvement I see in DisplayLink behavior is noticeable: no more screen corruptions even if I use the OpenGL compositor and VSync, for instance, and no apparent performance issue (the video seems to work just fine, like if I had the monitor connected directly to the HDMI port of my notebook).

I must partially correct myself. Indeed, after some minutes of usage and when there are many applications open, the DisplayLinkManager process almost constantly eats from 0,5 to 1 full core of my CPU (12%-25% of an i5 Haswell 4-core CPU).
Sometimes you won't notice it, but sometimes it slows down the system a lot...
The audio problem remains, too.

snipe122 12-06-2020 12:02 PM

Today I have closed my laptop screen, just to try. And guess what, no lag anymore. Is this problem finally fixed? :rolleyes: Running Ubuntu 20.10 with latest updates.

bbrout 12-16-2020 01:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Am attempting to get Displaylink USB/VGA adapter to work on Ubuntu 20.04 with NVIDIA Card. I have filled my video ports with three monitors and need to add a fourth. I have installed Ubuntu driver from Displaylink site and upgraded with xserver patch for 20.04. Still no joy. lsusb "sees" the Displaylink as:

Bus 001 Device 004: ID 17e9:4300 DisplayLink Displaylink USB3.0 Display

but no action on the attached monitor. Am using CableCreation Adaptor.

Attached is the Linux Support tool zip file.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

snipe122 12-16-2020 12:53 PM

After latest Ubuntu updates it seems the problem is back, lagging when laptop lid closed.

nvergontbij 01-04-2021 01:39 PM

If you are still having problems with Focal Fossa, try this.

Most compatibility issues between displaylink, evdi and kernel vers. > 5.8 have been solved by the evdi branch 1.7.x
Instructions for its installation are reported here:

https://displaylink.org/forum/showth...1259#post91259

Perhaps this might work for you as well.
If not, feel free to report back.

n1n4 01-20-2021 08:18 PM

stopped working in Mint 20(.1)

Problem described here (for those who might come to this thread due to same issue):

https://www.displaylink.org/forum/sh...ad.php?t=67537

Tried the fix explained here: https://displaylink.org/forum/showpo...9&postcount=19

Tried the fix with both 5.4 kernel (default in Mint 20.1) and a 5.8.x kernel (via Update Manager). Neither made a difference. Still just blurry lines in correct resolution.

snipe122 01-22-2021 06:10 AM

Today I tried to close my laptop lid. Guess what, no lag today. Wonder how long that will hold!

cement_head 04-22-2021 04:24 PM

Totally broken on a System76 GalagoPro with Kernel 5.11.x and DisplayLink 5.4.

Worked without issues on Kernel 5.3 and DisplayLink 5.3, so there must be an incorrect parameter.

cement_head 06-11-2021 02:14 PM

Looks as if it's a MESA bug; patch needs to be applied:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...r/+bug/1931547

z0rk 08-21-2021 02:45 AM

It has now been more than a year since DisplayLink provided a patch for this issue. We are now up to xorg 1.20.12. Will this ever get fixed?

https://www.displaylink.org/forum/sh...ad.php?t=67148