DisplayLink Forum

DisplayLink Forum (https://displaylink.org/forum/index.php)
-   Linux and Open Source (https://displaylink.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Support Ubuntu 20.04 LTS (Focal Fossa) (https://displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=67007)

PilotPaul 05-04-2020 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeins (Post 89774)
Yep. Both are installed. I uninstall both an let the installer install them, but that don't work too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeins (Post 89777)
lsb_release -a:

No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
Release: 20.04
Codename: focal

uname -a:

Linux Jonas-Linux 5.4.0-28-generic #32-Ubuntu SMP Wed Apr 22 17:40:10 UTC 2020 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

apt search:

Sortierung... Fertig
Volltextsuche... Fertig
libdrm-dev/focal,now 2.4.101-2 amd64 [installiert]
Benutzerbereichsschnittstelle zu Kernel-DRM-Diensten – Entwicklungsdateien

Well I'm assuming that the German is the same as my English version! :-) The only difference i have is that I am running kernel 5.4.0-29.generic...maybe try enabling the focal-proposed repository?

Jeins 05-04-2020 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PilotPaul (Post 89778)
Well I'm assuming that the German is the same as my English version! :-) The only difference i have is that I am running kernel 5.4.0-29.generic...maybe try enabling the focal-proposed repository?

I hope so! :D Okay I will give it a try. Thanks

PilotPaul 05-04-2020 12:21 PM

You could also try "sudo apt -f install" to fix any missing dependencies before re-running the installation...

Jeins 05-04-2020 12:34 PM

Tried that before. Don't help. And also with new kernel, I get the same error

PilotPaul 05-04-2020 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeins (Post 89781)
Tried that before. Don't help. And also with new kernel, I get the same error

Interesting...

I've done a "apt search libdrm" on my system for comparison. Output is as follows:

"Sorting...
Full Text Search...
libdrm-amdgpu1/focal,now 2.4.101-2 amd64 [installed]
Userspace interface to amdgpu-specific kernel DRM services -- runtime

libdrm-common/focal,focal,now 2.4.101-2 all [installed]
Userspace interface to kernel DRM services -- common files

libdrm-dev/focal,now 2.4.101-2 amd64 [installed]
Userspace interface to kernel DRM services -- development files

libdrm-intel1/focal,now 2.4.101-2 amd64 [installed]
Userspace interface to intel-specific kernel DRM services -- runtime

libdrm-nouveau2/focal,now 2.4.101-2 amd64 [installed]
Userspace interface to nouveau-specific kernel DRM services -- runtime

libdrm-radeon1/focal,now 2.4.101-2 amd64 [installed]
Userspace interface to radeon-specific kernel DRM services -- runtime

libdrm-tests/focal 2.4.101-2 amd64
Testing tools from the libdrm project

libdrm2/focal,now 2.4.101-2 amd64 [installed]
Userspace interface to kernel DRM services -- runtime

libdrmaa1.0-java/focal,focal 8.1.9+dfsg-9build2 all
Distributed resource management Application API library - Java bindings

libdrmaa1.0-java-doc/focal,focal 8.1.9+dfsg-9build2 all
Distributed resource management Application API library - Java bindings docs

libdrmaa1.0-ruby/focal,focal 8.1.9+dfsg-9build2 all
Distributed resource management Application API library - Ruby bindings"

Maybe you are missing one of these? Just a thought...

davidjonbarnes@yahoo.co.u 05-04-2020 02:05 PM

Working with new 20.04 DisplayLink driver

Only thing extra I had to do even though on Intel graphics I
had to make /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-displaylink.conf
contain:
Section "Device"
Identifier "DisplayLink"
Driver "modesetting"
Option "PageFlip" "false"
EndSection

not this:
Section "Device"
Identifier "Intel Graphics"
Driver "intel"
EndSection

PilotPaul 05-04-2020 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidjonbarnes@yahoo.co.u (Post 89791)
Only thing extra I had to do even though on Intel graphics I
had to make /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-displaylink.conf
contain:
Section "Device"
Identifier "DisplayLink"
Driver "modesetting"
EndSection

not this:
Section "Device"
Identifier "Intel Graphics"
Driver "intel"
EndSection

I needed this with the 5.2 driver, but not for the 5.3 one, which works with both X and Wayland...I'm using Intel HD 4600 graphics (builtin).

Jeins 05-04-2020 02:17 PM

Now I have the same output, but that don't change anything.

PilotPaul 05-04-2020 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeins (Post 89793)
Now I have the same output, but that don't change anything.

Have you removed any previous installations, such as the displaylink-debian one, before trying the new installation? I removed all previous displaylink drivers and re-booted before trying the latest one...

Jeins 05-04-2020 02:24 PM

Yes. I used the displaylink uinstaller

PilotPaul 05-04-2020 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeins (Post 89795)
Yes. I used the displaylink uinstaller

Well I'm running out of ideas! Maybe try a fresh installation of 20.04, either in a VM or a spare partition, and see what happens?

txtweet 05-04-2020 02:46 PM

I have the same issue. I'm on a fresh install of Kubuntu 20.04, it's the first thing I try to install...

PilotPaul 05-04-2020 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txtweet (Post 89799)
I have the same issue. I'm on a fresh install of Kubuntu 20.04, it's the first thing I try to install...

Mine was upgraded from 19.10, which may mean some libraries are present that are not in a fresh install. Have you tried installing build-essentials before running the install?

txtweet 05-04-2020 03:29 PM

Thank you for your idea,
The apt install command did not change anything...

If I can't find a solution before tonight I'll go back to the 18.04 and wait sometime before upgrading...

PilotPaul 05-04-2020 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txtweet (Post 89803)
Thank you for your idea,
Unfortunatly it was installed by default. The apt install command did not change anything...

If I can't find a solution before tonight I'll go back to the 18.04 and wait sometime before upgrading...

If it helps at all the "displaylink-debian" solution referred to in previous posts seems to work fine for most people (though you may need to tweak your Xorg.conf a little)...maybe try that before ditching 20.04?

SuperQuokka 05-04-2020 11:45 PM

I only signed up to DisplayLink driver update alert emails yesterday. Got the one about 5.3 this morning. Ran the installer and happy happy joy joy.
Had previously tried the debian one, but uninstalled a couple of days back when I gave up trying to get it to work. If there's any logs/config anyone wants to see from my working install, let me know.

garipat 05-05-2020 04:17 AM

same problem with libdrm

txtweet 05-05-2020 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PilotPaul (Post 89804)
If it helps at all the "displaylink-debian" solution referred to in previous posts seems to work fine for most people (though you may need to tweak your Xorg.conf a little)...maybe try that before ditching 20.04?

Unfortunately displaylink-debian now try to install the v5.3 so i get the same libdrm issue.

Btw even on ubuntu 18.04 with the 5.2 I have to tweak a Xorg.conf file.

barzar 05-05-2020 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txtweet (Post 89821)
Unfortunately displaylink-debian now try to install the v5.3 so i get the same libdrm issue.

Btw even on ubuntu 18.04 with the 5.2 I have to tweak a Xorg.conf file.

I ran into the same issue(displaylink-debian downloading 5.3) but it can be easily fixed by replacing head -n 1 on line 21 and 23 of displaylink-debian.sh with
HTML Code:

sed -n '2p'
so the script grabs the second download link. Works for me, finally got my 2 displays working. 5.3 didn't work at all for me.

PilotPaul 05-05-2020 08:51 AM

Probably worth submitting a bug report to DisplayLink as this seems to be affecting quite a few people...

Jeins 05-05-2020 09:05 AM

Yes. I contacted DisplayLink and they adviced me to post my output files in this forum. Nice support of them (irony).

JakubDabrowski 05-05-2020 09:59 AM

Dear users!

Thank you for your constant communication here on the forum and your patience.

We would like to apologize for the inconveniences that you have faced while trying to use our new driver.
We are aware of libdrm issue on our new driver for Ubuntu 20.04

Right now our Engineering Team is working on the resolution of the problem. We should be able to release a fix very shortly as our engineers are already testing the possible solution for this case.

As a possible temporary workaround you may start our installer in this manner:

From console:

Installing Workaround:

LC_ALL=C sudo ./displaylink-driver-5.3.0.28.run

Uninstalling Workaround:

LC_ALL=C sudo displaylink-installer uninstall

This should help you for now before we have a permanent fix done.

Thank you very much for help in developing our drivers and I will be posting here any new information we would be able to share with you!

Kind regards,
Jakub

Adrillex 05-05-2020 12:21 PM

I just installed displaylink 5.3 on ubuntu 20.04, but now boot freeze just after starting displaylink service. Any idea ?

JakubDabrowski 05-06-2020 05:32 AM

Hello,

Thank you for your patience.

As I have mentioned yesterday, we were working on a installation fix for Ubuntu 20.04.

Here it is: https://www.displaylink.com/downloads/file?id=1576

Please verify that version and if you would face any issues inform us.

Thank you very much for your cooperation!

Best regards,
Jakub

jarsal 05-07-2020 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JakubDabrowski (Post 89846)
Hello,

As I have mentioned yesterday, we were working on a installation fix for Ubuntu 20.04.

Best regards,
Jakub

Many people are having performance issues with the new driver and can't use their display link devices. Are you planning to fix this issues or maybe you already have any solution?

Tiberius 05-07-2020 11:35 AM

ubuntu 20.04 + thinkpad t420 intel

I recently installed ubuntu 20.04. (fresh install)

I use displaylink D3100 to connect thinkpad t420 with intel graphics to view on external FHD monitor. I use X11

When used only on external monitor it lags a lot it's not usable at all. When i use inbuilt display , mirror, extend works ok

Same configuration worked flawless on ubuntu 18.04

PS : tried but same result
make /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-displaylink.conf

Section "Device"
Identifier "DisplayLink"
Driver "modesetting"
EndSection

garipat 05-08-2020 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JakubDabrowski (Post 89846)
Hello,

Best regards,
Jakub

thank you for the fast fixing. The installation of the new driver with
Code:

$ sudo LANG=C ./displaylink-driver-5.3.1.34.run
and
Code:

$ sudo ./displaylink-driver-5.3.1.34.run
is working fine.

Unfortunately the perfomance issue maintains. Do i miss something?

I am using a Lenovo Dock 2 USB-C with USB-A

Stofe7 05-08-2020 02:26 PM

I can confirm Tiberius's issue.

specialworld83 05-08-2020 03:42 PM

Amd Ryzen 5 3500 U vega radeon 8

Good evening, the lag are very evident and even if imposed the effects of plasma with xrender are still visible. If I remove the dock everything goes back to normal. I am attaching the debug file.

In fact, on ubuntu 18.04 I had no problem with any lag.

It doesn't allow me to attach the file. I enclose it with connection via gdrive

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1wa...h_w2132Fj25snP

Jeins 05-08-2020 03:55 PM

Same here. Big lag's when using external screen only.

shellfyred 05-09-2020 12:15 PM

Confirming there is still an issue with the latest package for Ubuntu 20.04. I recently upgraded 20.04 and installed the latest DL package, displaylink-driver-5.3.1.34. Now if I close the lid, the UI lags 3-5 seconds on input (e.g. button click does nothing for 5 seconds). Opening the lid and the issue immediately goes away. Nothing from htop seems to indicate this is in anyway tied to CPU/memory load.

Tiberius 05-09-2020 09:40 PM

tonight i tried on other laptop ubuntu 20.04. same problems lags badly on external monitor (intel graphics).

snipe122 05-11-2020 06:50 AM

Confirming happening for me as well. Maybe after latest kernel upgrade? Was working fine for me before. Have to keep the lid open now :(

michal.postrozny 05-11-2020 06:36 PM

Mouse clicks and keyboard lags 2-4 seconds behind

Interestingly the mouse movement does not lag. Just the click and keyboard. This happens even though mouse/keyboard is not connected to the dock. Dual monitor setup. Does not matter if lid is open or close.

I would be happy tho share the logs gathered with displaylink tool on priv to DisplayLink support. I'm not comfortable to share anything gathered using 'sudo' on public forum.

rjbathgate 05-11-2020 11:19 PM

Confirming same issue here.

Running Ubuntu 20.04, with a StarTech DK30C2DPPD dock (DisplayLink chipset: DL6950) and ThinkPad E590 and DisplayLink drivers 5.3.1.

When connecting via the dock to an ultrawide monitor (LG 38 inch), with native resolution of 3840x1600, it is extremely laggy - every mouse click action takes 3-5 seconds - it completely unusable.

If I switch back to just use Laptop display (dock still connected, but monitor setting set to laptop screen only), everything works perfectly fine.

CPU load seems a bit high, but not massively high.

When on Ubuntu 19 and using the previous driver, I had exactly the same issue plus CPU was even higher (htop was maxing all threads at 100%).

I have set the logging to 1 (as per https://support.displaylink.com/know...-of-messages-t) but made no difference.

Have also amended the 20-displaylink.conf as per a lot of other threads, again with no difference.

On a smaller monitor (34 inch with native resolution of 3440x1440), it performs better but still unusable.

Keen to see if DisplayLink update the driver soon.

UPDATE

With EVDI logging set to 0, DRM logging set to 0, pageflip modsetting applied (https://support.displaylink.com/know...ent-x-upgrades) AND (important AND), the external monitor set to extend mode, the lag is significantly reduced - almost usable!

If I change the display settings to external screen only (i.e. single display, laptop display off), then the massive lag instantly returns.

So, the primary (laptop) screen needs to be on and active for the lag on the external monitor to be 'acceptable'. This seems like a really strange bug.

Anyone else experience this?

Stofe7 05-12-2020 10:40 AM

@rjbathgate, can you compare with "mirror" settings please? I curious about your case.
In my case if I choose mirror, then it will be a kind of usable scenario, but of course I lost the external monitor highest resolution. So the exact case is, Linux screen mode is mirror, resolution is set to the highest one of the internal screen, lid off.

rjbathgate 05-12-2020 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stofe7 (Post 89900)
@rjbathgate, can you compare with "mirror" settings please? I curious about your case.
In my case if I choose mirror, then it will be a kind of usable scenario, but of course I lost the external monitor highest resolution. So the exact case is, Linux screen mode is mirror, resolution is set to the highest one of the internal screen, lid off.

In mirror mode, there is near to no lag, but the resolution achieved makes it pointless (1080 on a 37inch ultrawide monitor...!)

Stofe7 05-13-2020 09:27 AM

Thank you, agree.

marijic.silvio 05-13-2020 01:29 PM

I am using Wavlink WL-UG69PD2 with Dell Latitude 5590 and LG 34U" (3440 x 1440). I faced same issue this morning after upgrade to Ubuntu 20.04 and after upgrading to latest display link driver and switching from Xorg to Wayland I am able to extend screen with external display running above mentioned resolution with no noticeable lag.

Hope it helps someone.

spences10 05-14-2020 08:33 AM

I've been following this thread, I used the support tool to add my zip but don't seem to be able to add files, maybe I need to build up cred on here first? Not sure.

Anyways, my issue is the same.

I have two external monitors going through a DispplayLink box, I upgraded to 20.04 and the screens lag when trying to turn off the built in monitor

My hardware is a Asus Transformer 3 Pro T303UA

Maybe if the mods approve me I can add the support zip?