DisplayLink Forum

DisplayLink Forum (https://displaylink.org/forum/index.php)
-   CLOSED: 5.2 Software Release (https://displaylink.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Windows Server 2008 R2 support (https://displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=102)

merlyn 09-25-2009 04:45 PM

Windows Server 2008 R2 support

I noticed that the RC and Beta 2 are blocked on Windows Server 2008 R2 (X64). When I attempt to install, a message is displayed, "The software for DisplayLink Graphics is not supported on this operating system version. Please visit www.displaylink.com/software for an updated driver."

I realise that the configuration may not be supported, however:
  • I'm currently running "DisplayLink 5.2b1" and it works fine on Win2k8 R2.
  • Previously, I was running Win Server 2k8 X64 with DisplayLink and it worked great.
I suggest displaying a message that the configuration is not supported, but allowing the installation to continue.

prologix 10-01-2009 10:53 PM

I agree. The first beta supported Windows Server 2008 R2 and now I'm stuck 3 beta drivers behind and it's bad too because of the slowness and the speed of window refreshed that have been fixed in the later beta's in fixed in Windows 7.

Please please please fix this or provide a work around for power users who need the 3 monitors and utilize a power workstation / server as a monitoring station.

I'm almost to the point where I'm going to buy another video card and sell the dock because if it's not going to be supported then this solution won't work for me.

Please give us an update on this.

fozi 10-08-2009 06:38 AM

I just purchased a Mimo and I'm very disappointed to find out that I couldn't run it on 2008R2 or 2003 (32bit).

I can understand the reason for not supporting an OS (dev time, testing, etc.) but please don't block the install. It would be nice just to have a pop-up that says "Hey this is unsupported OS. Do you want to continue?" I can't see any reason to block 2008R2 it's just Win7 with server licensing even the build numbers are the same.

Please. At least remove the block and sign the driver for R2.

prologix 10-08-2009 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fozi (Post 412)
I just purchased a Mimo and I'm very disappointed to find out that I couldn't run it on 2008R2 or 2003 (32bit).

I can understand the reason for not supporting an OS (dev time, testing, etc.) but please don't block the install. It would be nice just to have a pop-up that says "Hey this is unsupported OS. Do you want to continue?" I can't see any reason to block 2008R2 it's just Win7 with server licensing even the build numbers are the same.

Please. At least remove the block and sign the driver for R2.

I am in absolute agreement here. This is silly. Don't support it sure even though it's driver architecture is 99% of Windows 7, same core kernel etc.. but don't block the install.

As a tip you can download the very first beta and it does work on R2 but it's slow and buggy with screen refresh on my setup. Dunno if it's an Aero thing or not but it takes sometimes 4 to 5 seconds to switch between windows and this is on a fast Raid 0, Quad core machine.

Again we've had almost 100 views and 3 ppl post. I'm certain this is a larger problem than most are even posting and we've yet to see anything from the Display link staff even noting that we exist. If we don't get an answer in the next week or so I'm returning mine for a full refund at Sam's. That is where I bought it and I'll just buy a different solutions. It's a real shame this solution and our questions go unsupported and unanswered for so long. I'm sure we are going to get a post that says "IT'S BETA YOU IDIOT" and I totally understand that it is but having 0 communication with the dev team is also unacceptable too. Especially if they have this forum for communication and feedback for issues.

Slider-Override 10-13-2009 06:26 PM

Is there now a way to use it in Server 2008 R2 64Bit ? :(

It says Unsupportet OS :(

Please DisplayLink Support Team Help

nissimn 10-13-2009 10:21 PM

Need Win2008 R2 X64

I join the above thread. Note that some software companies are using Windows Server 2008 X64 as their main desktop to run Hyper-V. If you do not support this OS, they will not be able to use DisplayLink-certified hardware to add monitors to their desktop.

Indeed, B1 driver works fine. We all want to enjoy from latest improvements, please do not completely block setup or at least enable command line switch to unblock it.

Slider-Override 10-14-2009 08:36 PM

The B1 driver says wrong driver :(

what am I doing wrong?

http://www.freepicload.com/view.php?...5fb5c722a8.png

The Device Manager says:

-USB-Display Adapter
->DisplayLink Display Adapter (0030)

If it works in your Windows 2008 R2 x64 Please uploaded a worling driver and tell me the URL.

rys 10-15-2009 12:51 AM

Not 100% sure on this, but you may be able to edit their setup file by using Microsoft Orca or InstEd.

I don't think the developers are watching this board at all or even care...

Slider-Override 10-15-2009 02:11 PM

, i will test it,

but last time i edit the driver, Windows Server 2008 R is Booting without USB Support ;( No USB Keyboard or USB Mouse, i can only undo this with a PS2 Keyboard ;)

I have found the Microsoft Orca

but not the "InstEd." have you a url for me ?

now i test Orca, but i have never use this tool, i will test it.

Edit:

Both tools works only with msi files, the RC driver is a .exe file

rys 10-16-2009 05:47 AM

Sorry to hear that Orca can't open it. Sometimes it can open certain exe files even though they are not MSI format.

I did notice that it is possible to open setup.exe using 7-zip, which reveals DisplayLinkUpdater.exe

Not sure if DisplayLinkUpdater qualifies whether it is allowed to run on an OS or not, or if it contains enough of the software to get the USB adapter to work (and not just the driver.)