DisplayLink Forum

DisplayLink Forum (https://displaylink.org/forum/index.php)
-   Windows Software (https://displaylink.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Windows 10, high load from WUDFHost.exe Windows Driver Foundation - User-mode Driver (https://displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=64887)

luuk 10-25-2016 01:17 PM

Windows 10, high load from WUDFHost.exe Windows Driver Foundation - User-mode Driver

Anyone knows how I can fix this? The process WUDFHost.exe Windows Driver Foundation - User-mode Driver cause a very high CPU load.

When this happens the screen works buggie / stays behind / not rendering correctly. Or only render parts.

System details:

Dell Inc. XPS 13 9350
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz, 2592 MHz, 2 core('s), 4 logische processor(s)
M​emory:16GB
​Microsoft Windows 10 Pro​ , 10.0.14393 Build 14393

2x Dell USB3.0 dock D3100
Screen Resolution : 2560 X 1440

Displaylink manager: 8.0.762.0

Thanks for the support

luuk 10-25-2016 01:29 PM

I think the problem is caused by the update of windows. And the way how the displaylink software integrate with it.

AlbanRampon 10-26-2016 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luuk (Post 81674)
I think the problem is caused by the update of windows. And the way how the displaylink software integrate with it.

Hello,
I'm afraid I don't understand this, can you explain what you mean?
Kind regards,
Alban

luuk 10-27-2016 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlbanRampon (Post 81699)
Hello,
I'm afraid I don't understand this, can you explain what you mean?
Kind regards,
Alban

Before the update of windows, [Anniversary Update] I mean.

luuk 10-31-2016 03:06 PM

Any clue what it can be?

perlamoldovei 11-01-2016 05:38 AM

Still mouse lag was not removed

I've been expecting for more than one month the update of displaylink driver but the horrible mouse lag was not solved. Before W10 Anniversary update everything worked smooth. I have 3 computers with 2 monitors (1 on video card and 1 on usb - Philips C221S) and one with 3 usb monitors only.
Before W10 Anniversary update all computers worked fine without any mouse lag no matter what i did on the computers.
After W10 Anniversary update the computers with 2 monitors started having an annoying mouse lag on the USB Monitor especially when the computer was doing something, i.e. loading a webpage. I noticed that there is a high cpu load on Windows Driver Foundation when that happened (USB monitor activated and kind of graphic refresh of screen no matter the monitor). Things didn't improve after the last release (25 October) of the DislayLink driver.

Now it is impossible to use two of the computers with 2 monitors as they have a dual core processor. I still have to mention that the computer with 3 usb monitors (and no vga monitor) works flawlessly.

Is there any chance that this issue is solved? I invested a lot in these monitors and tehnically i cannot use them.

zephnn 11-01-2016 07:59 AM

We are also still facing the lag issues at our office. It has indeed improved after the last cumulative patch. However in our situation where we use 3 monitors we still can't work with it. Especially when Remote Desktop RDP or VNC is used on one of the secondary screens. I'm not sure how to call it but windows are not refreshing completely it seems. When you go over it with the cursor it gets there.
We removed the anniversary update on one of our systems and we don't experience any issues at all there.

Qvazar 11-01-2016 09:14 AM

Confirming

Confirming this.
The Windows 10 Anniversary Update drivers are causing CPU usage to spike when anything "real-time" happens on the connected USB monitor.

My original setup was a Dell XPS 15 Laptop connected to a Dell D3100 USB docking station with two HDMI monitors attached.
Before the Windows Anniversary Update I could play Guild Wars 2 at 40FPS on one USB monitor while playing Twitch/YouTube content on the other USB monitor. Everything was working smoothly.
After the update, games are unplayable on any USB-attached monitor.
I've resorted to attaching one monitor directly to the laptop with HDMI and playing games on that, but if any rendering happens on the USB-attached monitor, game performance drastically drops. If I play a video on the USB-monitor while playing on the HDMI-monitor, game FPS drops to 20% of before. 40 FPS becomes 10 FPS!

My girlfriend is using a Surface Pro 4 with this same dock and is suffering the same problems; but obviously she cannot connect one of the monitors directly through HDMI, so any continuous rendering on the monitors causes heavy CPU-load and lag and any CPU-heavy load causes the monitors to lag greatly, i.e. when playing Flash games.

I understand that the Windows Anniversary Update forces this new driver model, but this performance decrease is completely unacceptable. You and Microsoft needs to work together to fix this.

I have all Windows, Dell and NVidia drivers up to date.

AlbanRampon 11-01-2016 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zephnn (Post 81764)
We are also still facing the lag issues at our office. It has indeed improved after the last cumulative patch. However in our situation where we use 3 monitors we still can't work with it. Especially when Remote Desktop RDP or VNC is used on one of the secondary screens. I'm not sure how to call it but windows are not refreshing completely it seems. When you go over it with the cursor it gets there.
We removed the anniversary update on one of our systems and we don't experience any issues at all there.

Hello Zephnn,
The paint effect you are describing with having to mouse over to refresh the area has been reported to Microsoft. This is not a lag as you can leave it for a minute and it still won't change.
Can you check if the content of the Print Screen shows the corruption?
Regards,
Alban

AlbanRampon 11-01-2016 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qvazar (Post 81765)
Confirming this.
The Windows 10 Anniversary Update drivers are causing CPU usage to spike when anything "real-time" happens on the connected USB monitor.

My original setup was a Dell XPS 15 Laptop connected to a Dell D3100 USB docking station with two HDMI monitors attached.
Before the Windows Anniversary Update I could play Guild Wars 2 at 40FPS on one USB monitor while playing Twitch/YouTube content on the other USB monitor. Everything was working smoothly.
After the update, games are unplayable on any USB-attached monitor.
I've resorted to attaching one monitor directly to the laptop with HDMI and playing games on that, but if any rendering happens on the USB-attached monitor, game performance drastically drops. If I play a video on the USB-monitor while playing on the HDMI-monitor, game FPS drops to 20% of before. 40 FPS becomes 10 FPS!

My girlfriend is using a Surface Pro 4 with this same dock and is suffering the same problems; but obviously she cannot connect one of the monitors directly through HDMI, so any continuous rendering on the monitors causes heavy CPU-load and lag and any CPU-heavy load causes the monitors to lag greatly, i.e. when playing Flash games.

I understand that the Windows Anniversary Update forces this new driver model, but this performance decrease is completely unacceptable. You and Microsoft needs to work together to fix this.

I have all Windows, Dell and NVidia drivers up to date.

Hello,
There are several points in this post.
WUDFHost.exe load has no direct bearing on performance. The algorithm uses, and has always used the available CPU to minimise latency and achieve the pixel-perfect we expect. The CPU is used because it's available, otherwise the quality will be dropped temporarily.
Would you look at your laptop to check if there are multiple graphics cards in it? If so, can you please disable the low end one to see if there is a performance gain? We know the Anniversary Update OS will the choose the best graphics card but the one used at startup. We know this because we have already been working with Microsoft on this. The compute of graphics has never done by DisplayLink as this is not a GPU. How do you measure your FPS? Do you have a sensor on the monitor, or is it an in-game counter looking at what the graphics card is handling?

The second aspect around general performance is on the engineering backlog to be worked on. There are a number of features which were available to us prior to this OS which have to be totally redeveloped with this new way of doing indirect displays.
The priority was to have the system work for the OS launch.

Kind regards,
Alban

AlbanRampon 11-01-2016 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luuk (Post 81759)
Any clue what it can be?

Hello,
When you do a Print Screen, do you see the corruption?
If so, then this is a bug we've reported to Microsoft already and they are working on it.
How many displays in total are working? We've noticed you need 3+ for the issue to be obvious and that's why this is reported by DisplayLink users... because we make it easy to add that many displays on machines.
Regards,
Alban

jaydub 11-01-2016 07:40 PM

same exact issue here. if the dock is connected and you use any peripheral the process will spike just moving the mouse can be enough to get wudfhost.exe to spike up an extra 25% cpu load. (even though the mouse is plugged into the laptop)

with the dock not connected there are zero issues in fact the process doesn't even show in taskmgr

uninstall use the install cleaner tool, reboot reinstall no change.

Qvazar 11-02-2016 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlbanRampon (Post 81767)
Hello,
There are several points in this post.
WUDFHost.exe load has no direct bearing on performance. The algorithm uses, and has always used the available CPU to minimise latency and achieve the pixel-perfect we expect. The CPU is used because it's available, otherwise the quality will be dropped temporarily.
Would you look at your laptop to check if there are multiple graphics cards in it? If so, can you please disable the low end one to see if there is a performance gain? We know the Anniversary Update OS will the choose the best graphics card but the one used at startup. We know this because we have already been working with Microsoft on this. The compute of graphics has never done by DisplayLink as this is not a GPU. How do you measure your FPS? Do you have a sensor on the monitor, or is it an in-game counter looking at what the graphics card is handling?

The second aspect around general performance is on the engineering backlog to be worked on. There are a number of features which were available to us prior to this OS which have to be totally redeveloped with this new way of doing indirect displays.
The priority was to have the system work for the OS launch.

Kind regards,
Alban

The Intel GPU cannot be disabled, since the NVidia GPU is only a co-processor, but the NVidia GPU can be set as default. See http://en.community.dell.com/support...39779#20639779 and the post below it.

This changes nothing however.

But I was able to come to a new conclusion.
When both monitors are connected through USB the game reports a max of 17 FPS and is unplayable, even on the laptop display.
With one monitor connected through USB and the other through HDMI the game reports 60FPS when played on any of three displays. But still, the USB monitor is obviously not rendering 60FPS since the mouse cursor and the game feels obviously sluggish when compared to the HDMI and integrated monitor.

The FPS counter is an in-game one.

theolditguy 11-04-2016 09:56 PM

Same here, build 1503 was fine with displaylink 7.7 m4 drivers, but as soon as I install 1607 I'm getting input lag, high CPU load from WUDFHost, and the screen fails to update until I interact with the window. Tried new 8.0 m3 drivers, uninstall/reinstall, old drivers, nothing seems to help. I'd rather not roll back to 1503 but it seems I may have to.

theolditguy 11-08-2016 04:32 PM

If anyone else find this thread they should give the 8.1 alpha driver a shot, its not perfect but it helps a lot. Made my win10 1607 setup usable again with two displaylink adapters connected.

close all apps, save work and prepare to reboot:

http://www.displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=64916

Josbourne 11-30-2016 09:39 PM

Unfortunately this did not work for me. Experiencing the same issue as all of you guys on build 1607..

KR, Jos

robert.angell 11-30-2016 10:41 PM

I have also tried the 8.1 alpha and this issue is still occurring.
From when I got the dock, I started with DisplayLink 8.0 M2, then M3, now 8.1.782 Alpha. Issue still occurring.
I've only ever had Win 10 1607 on this device, so not sure if performance is/was better prior to this version.

Windows 10 Pro 1607
Dell Inspiron 13 - 7000 series
Core i7-7500 @2.7 GHz
16GB RAM
Intel HD 620
Dell D3100 USB 3.0 Dock
1 external monitor connected at 4K via DisplayPort on dock.

Mouse cursor is laggy most of the time - especially once more than a few applications are open.
External monitor goes black for 2 seconds about every 15minutes during use, as though it is resetting itself. The laptop monitor remains on. There is nothing to indicate that the monitor is 'disconnected'... the primary screen settings remain in place.
WUDFHost.exe consumes 10-15% CPU continuously while the dock is connected and actions are occurring on the external monitor. When disconnected, this process is 0%.
Possibly related: audiodg.exe consumes 5-10% CPU continuously while the dock is connected.

Happy to provide more information if required.

daniel 12-21-2016 09:59 AM

Same issue here. It is impossible to use my ThinkPad USB 3 dock now because of the severe lag. It's been working fine for quite some time, but as of last week it's extremely laggy. I've been on Anniversary update for a couple of months, so it didn't happen along with the update.

Why so silent AlbanRampon and others at DisplayLink? Please try to advise here.

tbone 12-24-2016 08:45 PM

High CPU - X1 Yoga + Thinkpad USB 3.0 Dock

Same challenge here folks with a Lenovo X1 Yoga 1st Gen. When docked, Windows Driver Foundation is always at the top of the CPU list at 5% – 10%. No issues when running undocked. Yeah… I know… well then run it undocked.

Lenovo X1 Yoga 1st Generation OLED
Windows 10 Pro Build 1607
Core i7-6600U @ 2.60 GHz
16 GB RAM
Intel HD Graphics 520 (Driver 20.19.15.4463)
Thinkpad USB 3.0 Docking Station (with DisplayLink 8.1M0 drivers)
2 x external Dell 2407WFP (1920 x 1200) + X1 Yoga native laptop screen on
StarTech 2 Port Dual DVI USB KVM Switch with Audio

Configuration:
X1 Yoga -> Thinkpad USB 3.0 Dock -> 2 x DVI to StarTech KVM -> 2 x DVI to 2 x Dell 2407WFP

I have this configuration so that I can switch between two laptops; work and personal.

Just for fun, other laptop connected to the KVM is

Thinkpad W510
Windows 10 Pro Build 1607
Core i7 Q20 @ 1.73 GHz
8 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX880M
Lenovo ThinkPad Mini Dock Plus 3 (who comes up with these names)
2 x external Dell 2407WFP (1920 x 1200) ONLY; can’t have the W510 native display on with 2 monitors.
StarTech 2 Port Dual DVI USB KVM Switch with Audio

No high CPU issues with my W510 configuration.

So, any way to get my newer X1 to stop running so hot when docked?

nouserr 01-15-2017 03:53 PM

High Cpu and freezing - Lenovo Yoga 500 & Plugable UD3900

same issue here, not so bad as other are saying but laptop is freezing and slowing badly when one of the screens has some video turned on, youtube, google hangouts, skype etc

Lenovo Yoga 500-14IBD
i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz, 2201 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
8GB RAM DDR3
Intel HD Graphics 5500

DisplayLink 8.1.843.0
Acer Led 1920x1080 Extended HDMI
Iiyama Prolite E2407HDS 1920x1080 DVI

anyweb 01-16-2017 01:26 PM

I have the high CPU load issue with Windows Driver Foundation when docked in the Displaylink dock, simply moving the external mouse causes the cpu to spike and lag, when undocked from the displaylink dock (thinkpad) everything is normal and no spiking of cpu,

this is frustrating, i've tried every driver released for this and still the issue persists, as this is occuring on several hardware vendors you cannot blame the manufacturer of the computer,

the computer i'm using in this case is a Surface Pro 4,

please fix this annoying problem

thanks

bfcamara 01-16-2017 05:33 PM

The same issue here with a Dell XPS 13 9360 and a Targus Dock with an external monitor.
WUDFHost.exe consuming always some CPU, monitors lagging, etc.

I hope a fix is available soon.

ed34567 01-17-2017 09:28 AM

Got the same issue here with the Anniversary update and WUDFHost.exe, specifically the process loading the Intel 520 driver dll's.
Updated the Intel drivers to 21.20.16.4574 and the DisplayLink to 8.1.843.0 but still getting the problem. It's actually making Edge unusable.

This is on a Dell Latitude E5470 and a Targus ACP71EU dock.

EyalBkk 01-19-2017 09:34 AM

Same issue with Windows Driver Foundation hogging the CPU. Latest displaylink driver just installed. Running 2 external screens with Lenovo Yoga 3 (i7 5500U + 8GB ram).

Can we have an update on expected next step and timeframe to solve this?

AlbanRampon 01-20-2017 03:57 PM

Hello,

I have been notified that engineering has now been able to reliably reproduce it on a model of machine.
They are now working on understanding the problem.
There are a few leads they are following, one of them is linked with memory. Result of the investigation will be telling what will help and a timeline.

If I understand that 50% CPU is considered high, having 5% would leave still 95% free... If a computer is struggling with 5% CPU usage, then there is something else at play!
Unfortunately the system gauge doesn't give any obvious information about where the bottleneck is.

WUDFHost, as its name indicates is a process hosting other processes (Windows User Mode Driver Framework). One of the hosted processes is the DisplayLink Manager process. This has changed from a separate DisplayLink User Agent, DisplayLink Manager approach because we are now using the Microsoft standard USB driver.

Kind regards,
Alban

fstx 01-23-2017 11:50 AM

I too have the problem

I don't use the display connections on my dock at the moment, just the ethernet and usb ports.

When using SysInternals procmon to see what WUDFHost.exe is doing, I see that it repeatedly accesses the registry key HKLM\SOFTWARE\DisplayLink\NivoManager.

AlbanRampon 01-23-2017 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fstx (Post 82537)
I don't use the display connections on my dock at the moment, just the ethernet and usb ports.

When using SysInternals procmon to see what WUDFHost.exe is doing, I see that it repeatedly accesses the registry key HKLM\SOFTWARE\DisplayLink\NivoManager.

Hello,

If you don't use the video, then a high load would have a different reason. What is high?
Ethernet and audio are also going through the same physical DisplayLink chip.
Also, whether you use a video output or not, the chip is on the USB so Windows will talk to it.

Kind regards,
Alban

spellinn 01-23-2017 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlbanRampon (Post 82514)
Hello,

I have been notified that engineering has now been able to reliably reproduce it on a model of machine.
They are now working on understanding the problem.

I can 100% reproduce the problem here, so do let me know if they want to run any diagnostics on my system (Dell XPS 13)

I'm using your latest Win10 drivers (8.1M0)

Cheers

Neil

-=Markus=- 01-25-2017 12:07 PM

Hello, I have the same problem.

I can't use my four USB screens.
I have update my computer with the last nvidia driver, and my problem is unchanged.

I work in the development of flight simulator, and it's logical for us to simulate any instruments between different screens.
And the top for a good interface utilisation, is the possibility to change rapidely by USB ports of screens.

I try to disconnect GPU / Graphic Card / Wudfsvc, but nothing happens.

My only option for the moment, is to remove physicaly one of the twice graphic card from my motherboard, for have 3 surround screens HDMI, and four USB sreens for plane instruments.
It's not envisageable.... .

The computer is very powerful :

Proc : Intel i7-6700K
RAM : 64 Go
System : 64 bits processor x64

GPU : 2 X GTX Geforce Titan X SLI
Motherboard : Asus Maximus VIII Extreme

Sceens : 3 screens HDMI
1 screen VGA
4 screens USB Lilliput

Drivers Nvidia version : 378.49
Drivers DisplayLink : 8.1 M0

Can you give me a configuration tip? Or tell me if the next DisplayLink drivers will solve this compatibility problem? and when ?
Thank you

Best regards,

Markus

bfcamara 01-27-2017 07:19 PM

I can also reproduce in my system: Dell XPS 13 + Win 10 + 2 External monitors attached to a Targus doc. As soon as I start using my external monitors, the issue happens. Very annoying.

rbaldi 02-01-2017 07:42 PM

Same issue for me at idle Driver Foundation runs 1-3 %percent CPU moving mouse across the screen cause it to jump to 20%. Running a game or steaming video on browser such as youtube causes it to jump form 35-50 CPU usage.

1 week old Lenovo IdeaPad 510, windows 10 pro, Lenovo Ultra Dock running 2 monitors, i7-7500, 12GB

Un-docked driver foundation doesnt even register any CPU usage.

Need fix please

PCEng 02-03-2017 05:10 AM

Hi Alban,

I was wondering if you had any rough ETA for 8.1 M1 and is there an Alpha or Beta version available for testing?

My organisation has around 4000 Targus ACP77 docking stations and are keen to ensure our rollout of Windows 10 14393 goes as smooth as possible and are very happy to provide feedback and logs if we find issues.

Thanks,

Matt

seb2020 02-03-2017 06:36 AM

Hello,

Same issue with my Windows 10 and a HP Universal Docking. I have 2 screens. When I move the mouse, the process WUDFHost.exe use more CPU.

Any news about this issue ?

Jouni 02-03-2017 07:47 AM

Same problem here. WUDFHost.exe jumps up to 40% CPU when moving mouse.

Win 10, Lenovo ThinkPad T460s with two external screens using Dell DisplayLink D3100.

Simon! 02-06-2017 09:03 AM

Why is there no response for 2 weeks?

AlbanRampon 02-06-2017 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon! (Post 82626)
Why is there no response for 2 weeks?

@Simon, because I'm more focused on getting engineering to actually work on it rather than just repeating what I said before.

I wanted to post an update on Friday but meetings finished too late.
The problem with a "me-too" post without any value AND test conditions is that it is as valuable to reach a solution as a "I'm coughing" allows diagnosing the root cause of any ailment/illness.

Here is the update I had planned though!

TL;DR: we're still working on it and priority was increased the week before last.

In details:

The next DisplayLink driver for Windows will be 8.2 M0 at the end of March/early April.
I've been reshuffling the Windows 10 Anniversary (& Creators) Update team priority to look at CPU usage as THE main delivery for 8.2 M0.
Since Friday, I have something which I can share to users for some specific types of reports to gauge impact. Some changes were made in the OS and we've been able to remove some early workarounds, and bring other improvements.

In order to help effectively, I would like the suggest to each commenter on this thread to edit their posts in the thread to make sure the following is included in their report. You do NOT have to. However, I will keep assigning priorities based on pressure points.
Items to include:
1. Windows 10 Build Number (available from System_Details.txt of our Customer Support Tool). Home/Pro/Enterprise is not needed.
2. Enumerate each display, its resolution and if it is connected to the graphics card or a USB adapter (available from System_Details.txt as well).
3. The CPU ***full*** name including the numbers after iX (available from System_Details.txt as well). Generation is more important to understand the architecture rather than if it is an i3 or i7.
4. The GPU details (available from System_Details.txt as well).
5. What you include in your CPU usage (which processes: overall, WUDF, DWM...). Note: I really need WUDF more than the rest as DWM is a Windows process).
6. The value of CPU being used.
7. What happens on ALL indirect displays (indirect = through USB). If you have Task Manager on an indirect display, then it is NOT idling as content changes!!! This is really one of the most important point. Here are some examples:
7a. Content fully static: nothing changes at all, and I mean nothing, not the clock, not the mouse pointer.
7b. Some little area changes: like for instance you only have some numbers on the clock or the numbers in Task Manager.
7c. Only the mouse pointer across indirect displays. (if you do this, please do NOT use the mouse trail accessibility feature or this is the same use case as 7b).
7d. Moving a window. Indicate an idea of the size of the window... I mean moving a 10x10 pixels windows is obviously fundamentally different to moving a 4kx4k one.
7e. Playing video on VLC
7f. Playing video on a browser (and the value is constant across browsers). Our driver CANNOT differentiate which browser is playing.
7g. Game, full screen or windowed? Games do NOT use the same as video playback.
8. Which version of DisplayLink driver you are running as, like Windows builds, they don't all have the same features. (available from System_Details.txt as well).

You'll notice that all data, except usage and CPU value, is in the ZIP our Customer Support Tool creates.

I will then review the full threads regularly to see the updates.
Should I see someone with details which matches something I have something to be tested, then I will create a ticket using the forum registered email address and share what I have privately to get meaningful feedback on what I think should have been impacted by changes. Once I have verified with your feedback, we can secure the change in the release but I can also track who has been using the development build.
I am sure that posting it here publicly would be wasting everyone's time, and it wouldn't help narrow down a solution for each use case reported.

There are some long terms optimisations and new features around this as well, of course.

Kind regards,
Alban

Nickski 02-07-2017 02:20 AM

1. OS Build Info

OS Build: 10.0.14393.0 (Debug = False)
OS Build Label: 14393.rs1_release.161220-1747

2. Monitors Connected:

Through USB (3.0 I believe)

DELL P1911 Manufacturer: DEL ProductCode: A074 Serial: 1WKJV14A08DS Built: 16/2011 @ 1440 x 900

DELL P2314H Manufacturer: DEL ProductCode: 4098 Serial: J8J313C6BLUL Built: 49/2013 @ 1920 x 1080

3. CPU

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3220 CPU @ 3.30GHz

No other information about CPU can be found in the system_details.txt file.

4. GPU Details

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti (NVIDIA)
Graphics Driver: 21.21.13.7633 Dated 2016/12/11

Graphics: Intel(R) HD Graphics (Intel Corporation)
Graphics Driver: 10.18.10.4358 Dated 2015/12/21

The Intel internal graphics is used to take the load off the CPU when streaming through Open Broadcast Studio.

5. CPU Usages

WUDF @ 10-30% - It can go up to 50% in extreme cases - especially when using things like Open Broadcast software (that uses around 25% of my CPU).

Windows Desktop Manager stays at 0.5% to 2% CPU usage.

6. Total CPU Usage

75%-100%

7. Analysis

7a: When completely static with just the task manager open, WUDF idles at around 0.5%-2% CPU usage.

7b: Same as 7a - uses around 0.5-2% CPU with the Windows clock open.

7c: When just moving the mouse around the displays WUDF uses around 8-12% of the CPU.

7d: When moving a window around WUDF usage goes up to around 20-25% of the CPU.

7e: VLC player playing a 1080p video: 15-25% WUDF CPU Usage.

7f: Full screen video on:

- Google Chrome = 7.5-15% WUDF CPU Usage.
- Full screen video on Microsoft Edge = 7.5-15% WUDF CPU usage.
- Full screen video on Firefox = 10% WUDF CPU Usage (that said firefox used about 40% of my CPU whereas the other browsers used around 10%)

Same video used on all browsers.

7g: I will have to get back on that one. No real games installed at this current moment in time.

8. Display Link Driver Installed

DisplayLink Graphics Driver (8.1.848.0) on 2017/01/01 Status is Installed

tracertit 02-07-2017 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlbanRampon (Post 82627)

The next DisplayLink driver for Windows will be 8.2 M0 at the end of March/early April....

Is that a joke?
Complete firms cant work correctly since weeks/months.

schmak01 02-07-2017 07:48 PM

So I am having the same issue, usually 14-25% CPU usage, but when Skype for Business or WebEx is displaying, it goes to 100% and doesn't seem to kick off throttling either. I can use Throttlestop to force the CPU to max, but even then it doesn't seem to completely fix it, the rest of the system is very very slow, instead of unusable.

1. OS Build Info

OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (x64-based PC), No Service Pack, English
OS Build: 10.0.14393.0 (Debug = False)
OS Build Label: 14393.rs1_release.161220-1747

2. Monitors Connected:

Manufacturer: LEN ProductCode: 40D3 Serial: 0 Built: 1/2012
DELL E2211H Manufacturer: DEL ProductCode: A072 Serial: 7N01218P0U0M Built: 34/2011
DELL E2211H Manufacturer: DEL ProductCode: A072 Serial: 19G4H13T1U8L Built: 14/2011

3. CPU

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3667U CPU @ 2.00GHz - Running at 2.5 Ghz on all cores via Throttlestop

4. GPU Details

Graphics: DisplayLink USB Device (DisplayLink)
Graphics Driver: 8.1.843.0 Dated 2016/12/01
Graphics: DisplayLink USB Device (DisplayLink)
Graphics Driver: 8.1.843.0 Dated 2016/12/01
Graphics: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 (Intel Corporation)
Graphics Driver: 10.18.10.4425 Dated 2016/04/04

5. CPU Usages
WUDF @ 14-25% when just browsers, spreadsheets and what not. With Skype For Business and WebEx presentations, it hits 75-100%, typically 100% This is with no video camera on, just screen sharing from others.

Windows Desktop Manager stays at 0.5% to 3% CPU usage.

6. Total CPU Usage

25-30 when not using Skype For business or WebEx, 100% when using them

7. Analysis

7a: When completely static with just the task manager open, WUDF idles at around 4%-15%

7b: Same as 7a - uses around 4-15% CPU with the Windows clock open.

7c: When just moving the mouse around the displays WUDF uses around 22-23% of the CPU.

7d: When moving a window around WUDF usage goes up to around 22-23% of the CPU.

7e: VLC player playing a 1080p video: 6-12%% WUDF CPU Usage.

7f: Full screen video on:

- Google Chrome = 10-15% WUDF CPU Usage. Appears to be throttled by Chrome CPU as well
- Full screen video on Microsoft Edge = 105-15% WUDF CPU usage.

Same video used on all browsers.

7g: Installed Stellaris off of steam. During loading screen it took 4-6% cpu, once in game at the start screen, where there is animation, it was taking 17-40% CPU.

8. Display Link Driver Installed

DisplayLink Graphics Driver 8.1.843.0 Dated 2016/12/01

Added a WPA screenshot, looks like the Displaylink driver is accessing Direct X 11, where the CPU draw is coming from

http://i.imgur.com/jUw88mk.png

schmak01 02-07-2017 09:39 PM

I hope this might help, when using WPA and looking into WUDFHost I discovered that the big CPU grab appears to be from when your dlidusb.dll starts interacting with the DirectX 11 DLL, which is used for just about everything on the desktop now IIRC with the anniversary update.

I am by no means an expert on this, but it might be something to dig into

http://i.imgur.com/jUw88mk.png