DisplayLink Forum

DisplayLink Forum (https://displaylink.org/forum/index.php)
-   Linux and Open Source (https://displaylink.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Debian (Jessie/Stretch/Sid) installer (https://displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=64235)

fooctrl 11-30-2015 06:04 AM

Debian (Jessie/Stretch/Sid) installer

I made DisplayLink Debian driver installer which I'd like to share with everyone.

displaylink-debian

Tool which allows you to seamlessly install and uninstall DisplayLink drivers on Debian GNU/Linux.

Installer is available on Github.

Supported platforms are:
  • Debian: Jessie/Stretch/Sid regardless of which kernel version you’re using.
displaylink-debian licence is GPLv3 and if you’d like to add any changes or to extend it to any other distribution then Debian, be my guest!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions and/or comments.

ysli 12-18-2015 01:05 AM

Hello fooctrl,

An update of displaylink-debian for driver 1.0.335 is available on Github.
A PR is issued; please consider merging it.

-Yishin

AdriaanNel 01-24-2016 08:48 PM

Hi,

Would this setup work on Linux Mint 17.3 - I really want to switch to linux, but must be able to use my docking station, so I just want to make sure before going through the effort of formatting, etc.

Thanks for your work on this, this is the only thing keeping me away from linux...

fooctrl 01-31-2016 06:00 PM

With latest version of script, Ubuntu is also supported (>=15.04 to <=16.04).

However, there's no support for Mint right now. Due to the reason that Mint still uses Upstart, while this script support anything that's running on Systemd.

AntiNSA 02-01-2016 06:31 AM

has anyone gotten the proprietary ati drivers to work with this? Im on ubuntu 15.10 and using 2 mb168+ and can only get display link to work with open source drivers. It seems I am missing out on hardware acceleration so Id like to use the proprietary drivers. When running vm on screens huge lag...

Id limke to use the propriatary fglx /radeon/ati drivers and displaylink at the same time instead of running the opensource driver. Everything works with the opensource driver, though I think I am missing out on harware acceleration.

gudbes 04-06-2016 03:57 PM

Hi,

I download and install the package. All's right for installation. But after, my screen connected in the adapter is not recognized. I am in Gnome. Help me ^^

Thx

gudbes

edit : Sorry for my english

fooctrl 04-09-2016 01:28 PM

@gudbes - did you refer to Post Installation Guide?

gudbes 04-09-2016 02:36 PM

thx very much fooctrl it's all right.

fooctrl 04-09-2016 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gudbes (Post 79982)
thx very much fooctrl it's all right.

happy to hear that! :)

Knowbody 05-18-2016 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fooctrl (Post 79534)
With latest version of script, Ubuntu is also supported (>=15.04 to <=16.04).

However, there's no support for Mint right now. Due to the reason that Mint still uses Upstart, while this script support anything that's running on Systemd.

It's possible to have systemd installed on mint though, so you could just run a check to see if it's running systemd.

*edit*
Just looking through the official install script, it looks like it does detect and support both upstart and systemd (this is from version 1.1.62):
Code:

detect_init_daemon()
{
    INIT=$(readlink /proc/1/exe)
    if [ "$INIT" == "/sbin/init" ]; then
        INIT=$(/sbin/init --version)
    fi

[ -z "${INIT##*upstart*}" ] && SYSTEMINITDAEMON="upstart"
    [ -z "${INIT##*systemd*}" ] && SYSTEMINITDAEMON="systemd"

if [ -z "$SYSTEMINITDAEMON" ]; then
        echo "ERROR: the installer script is unable to find out how to start DisplayLinkManager service automatically on your system." >&2
        echo "Please set an environment variable SYSTEMINITDAEMON to 'upstart' or 'systemd' before running the installation script to force one of the options." >&2
        echo "Installation terminated." >&2
        exit 1
    fi
}

And the install function calls a couple of different functions depending on whether systemd or upstart is used:
Code:

if [ "upstart" == "$SYSTEMINITDAEMON" ]; then
    echo "Starting DLM upstart job"
    add_upstart_script
    add_pm_script "upstart"
    start displaylink
  elif [ "systemd" == "$SYSTEMINITDAEMON" ]; then
    echo "Starting DLM systemd service"
    add_systemd_service
    add_pm_script "systemd"
    systemctl start displaylink.service
  fi