DisplayLink Forum

DisplayLink Forum (https://displaylink.org/forum/index.php)
-   Windows Software (https://displaylink.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Windows 10 1607 black screen after update (https://displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=64710)

Pavel 08-18-2016 09:03 AM

Windows 10 1607 black screen after update

Hello!
After upgrade Windows 10 to version 1607 monitor connected to the Lenovo USB 2.0 Replicator shows a black screen. It really works and shows black screen! Resolution can be changed and no errors in Windows hardware drivers. When I set Windows to work with only main monitor - monitor on replicator going off. When I set windows to work with two monitor configuration it going on and shows black screen.
In the previous version Windows 10 everything worked fine. Installation of the latest drivers from the DisplayLink website (8 M1) did not help.
How can I fix it?

r0bbienz 08-18-2016 10:59 PM

Im running a HP 3005pr and have the same issue after installing 1607 - WIM has my logs - I have tried the development build as well and still have the same problem.

I got told

Hi

Thanks for the logs. It looks like we are losing communication with the dock and the driver is getting no response when it sends commands and updates to the dock. This is usually a hardware problem and it would be best to contact the product manufacturer about this issue.

Best regards,

Wim

Pavel 08-19-2016 07:36 AM

If this was a problem in hardware, I would have faced this problem using a previous version of Windows 10. But in previous version all worked perfect! Moreover, when connecting the Lenovo USB 2.0 replicator to another computer with a previous version of Windows 10 still works fine. So this is a complex problem of a new version of Windows 10 and DisplayLink drivers.

RVDL 08-19-2016 11:52 AM

Are you extending or duplicating?

I've found that duplicating is broken since Win10 AE. Extending still works.

Pavel 08-22-2016 04:02 AM

Neither extending nor duplicating. Just black screen.

framone 08-22-2016 11:10 AM

same here Dell latitude update Aug 22nd

same happened to me today, after W10 update the Displaylink worsk for USB and LAN but no chance to detect a second monitor

AlbanRampon 08-23-2016 04:44 PM

Hello Pavel,
Would you please provide log files so we can investigate?
Switched on but black screen generally means our driver doesn't get any pixel, but that is not enough to help solving the problem.
Kind regards,
Alban

APT 08-24-2016 06:57 PM

I am having the same issue. After the AU for Windows the display adapter only shows a black screen when you first plug the USB cable into my laptop.

However, I did find a workaround for this. Once I plug the USB cable in and my second monitor goes black, I then press the Windows+P combo, wait 2 seconds, and then press Windows+P again. By doing that twice, it puts me in the "duplicate" monitor mode. My second monitor starts working then. Once my second monitor is working, I can then select the "Second Screen Only" option and it will work as normal. If I unplug the USB adapter and plug it back in, I have to follow the above instructions again.

It appears there is something wrong with the driver or communication in Windows where the "Second Screen Only" option doesn't work unless you switch it to one of the other options first.

AlbanRampon 08-24-2016 08:10 PM

I'm afraid I will still have the same request: logs please...

Pavel 08-25-2016 03:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by AlbanRampon (Post 80940)
Hello Pavel,
Would you please provide log files so we can investigate?
Switched on but black screen generally means our driver doesn't get any pixel, but that is not enough to help solving the problem.
Kind regards,
Alban

Here is my log, created by DisplayLink Windows Support Tool.

APT 08-25-2016 06:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attached is the advanced diagnostics that was run while the screen was black.

Just to repeat the issue I am seeing with this:

After the Windows 10 1607 upgrade, the screen is black when first connected to the USB adapter. I then press Windows+P several times to switch to another mode like "Duplicate" or "Extend". Wait a few seconds and the second monitor comes on, then switch it to "Second Screen Only". If I unplug the USB I have the repeat the above steps again.

James 08-25-2016 10:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have the same issue, worked fine up until the anniversary update but now the display is just black, tried everything, updating/reinstalling drivers (laptop ones also) but even the AMD catalyst doesn't detect the display properly however it does look like its working via the screen resolution options and device manager..

Since I'm stumped I've attached my troubleshooting logs.

AlbanRampon 08-26-2016 08:06 AM

Hi James,
Thanks for the logs. I see 7.9 M0, 7.9 M7 were installed alongside 8.0 M0, some seems to be installed through corporate deployment.
I would advise to start again from a clean slate:
- Disconnect ThinkPad Basic USB 3.0 Dock
- Remove DisplayLink Core Software using Add/Remove Program, if you can
- Use our End User Cleaner to remove the different elements
- Fetch new AMD drivers as these predates Windows 10 and install them. The anniversary update has fundamental changes in the graphics subsystem.
- Install 8.0 M1 or 8.0 M2 if available from the download section (depending on when you read this).
If the problem persists after these steps, please give me new logs so I can check the new status.
The product you have is NOT an old generation product which is impacted by compatibility issue. We will get it working again!
Kind regards,
Alban

Quote:

Originally Posted by James (Post 80977)
I have the same issue, worked fine up until the anniversary update but now the display is just black, tried everything, updating/reinstalling drivers (laptop ones also) but even the AMD catalyst doesn't detect the display properly however it does look like its working via the screen resolution options and device manager..

Since I'm stumped I've attached my troubleshooting logs.

AlbanRampon 08-26-2016 08:24 AM

Thank you APT,
I will need a bit more time to analyse this with engineering, and may need to ask Microsoft for advice.
Your finding with the Windows+P is surprising but extremely useful!
Kind regards,
Alban

Quote:

Originally Posted by APT (Post 80975)
Attached is the advanced diagnostics that was run while the screen was black.

Just to repeat the issue I am seeing with this:

After the Windows 10 1607 upgrade, the screen is black when first connected to the USB adapter. I then press Windows+P several times to switch to another mode like "Duplicate" or "Extend". Wait a few seconds and the second monitor comes on, then switch it to "Second Screen Only". If I unplug the USB I have the repeat the above steps again.

James 08-26-2016 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlbanRampon (Post 80981)
Hi James,
Thanks for the logs. I see 7.9 M0, 7.9 M7 were installed alongside 8.0 M0, some seems to be installed through corporate deployment.
- Fetch new AMD drivers as these predates Windows 10 and install them. The anniversary update has fundamental changes in the graphics subsystem.
- Install 8.0 M1 or 8.0 M2 if available from the download section (depending on when you read this).
If the problem persists after these steps, please give me new logs so I can check the new status.
The product you have is NOT an old generation product which is impacted by compatibility issue. We will get it working again!
Kind regards,
Alban

Thanks for the quick response, I'll give this a try and see how I get on.

Pavel 08-26-2016 01:13 PM

AlbanRampon, аnd what about me? I've attached my troubleshooting logs some posts ago.

AlbanRampon 08-26-2016 01:40 PM

I'm sorry Pavel, I missed it. Thank you for asking!

I see you had a USB Mass Storage recognised during log gathering. Did you have a USB key or is it from the Lenovo USB Dock?
You can check in Device Manager if you see entries "USB Mass Storage Device", then the Lenovo dock implements a dual USB configuration which is not compatible with the Windows 10 USB driver used because it cannot switch configuration.

It doesn't look like this is a product based on our DL-1x0 products which we had a bug and fixed in 8.0 M2 under final prepartion.
There are several generations using that Product ID, if I am correct, this one seems to be from about 2010.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pavel (Post 80989)
AlbanRampon, аnd what about me? I've attached my troubleshooting logs some posts ago.

James 08-26-2016 04:56 PM

Thanks for your assistance, I have now resolved my issue.

I followed your process but also went into device manager and removed all hidden devices that weren't connected ensuring all drivers were uninstalled for those devices.

Glad I found this forum as its been driving me nuts for over a week! :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlbanRampon (Post 80981)
Hi James,
Kind regards,
Alban

Pavel 08-26-2016 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlbanRampon (Post 80990)
I'm sorry Pavel, I missed it. Thank you for asking!

I see you had a USB Mass Storage recognised during log gathering. Did you have a USB key or is it from the Lenovo USB Dock?
You can check in Device Manager if you see entries "USB Mass Storage Device", then the Lenovo dock implements a dual USB configuration which is not compatible with the Windows 10 USB driver used because it cannot switch configuration.

It doesn't look like this is a product based on our DL-1x0 products which we had a bug and fixed in 8.0 M2 under final prepartion.
There are several generations using that Product ID, if I am correct, this one seems to be from about 2010.

Thanks for quick answer!
This USB Mass Storage Device is my USB HDD Seagate. It is connected to another USB port of my laptop (not USB port on the Lenovo dock). In previous version of Windows 10 this configuration works fine. But I can try to disconnect my USB HDD and see what happens.
My dock is Lenovo USB 2.0 Port Replicator with Digital Video (0A33942* - United States). I can not find any information about DL chip inside it.

AlbanRampon 08-26-2016 08:08 PM

Ok Pavel, found it Product ID 01E6.
I see the Seagate as E:
But I see another one as F: which is Flash memory.
Because of the product ID, it looks like you have an autoinstall/Mass Storage we don't have a solution for today. Could you please send an email to technical_enquiries our our domain.com?
I'll send you 8.0 M2, but I am not really optimistic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pavel (Post 80994)
Thanks for quick answer!
This USB Mass Storage Device is my USB HDD Seagate. It is connected to another USB port of my laptop (not USB port on the Lenovo dock). In previous version of Windows 10 this configuration works fine. But I can try to disconnect my USB HDD and see what happens.
My dock is Lenovo USB 2.0 Port Replicator with Digital Video (0A33942* - United States). I can not find any information about DL chip inside it.

sub4 08-29-2016 07:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello,

I am expieriencing the same issues after Windows 1607 update. Black screen on my Monitor connected via a HP USB2 Dock.

Tried your suggestions with driver uninstalling and also used the EndUser-Cleaner. No success.

I attached my logfiles. Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards
Thomas

Pavel 08-29-2016 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlbanRampon (Post 80995)
Ok Pavel, found it Product ID 01E6.
I see the Seagate as E:
But I see another one as F: which is Flash memory.
Because of the product ID, it looks like you have an autoinstall/Mass Storage we don't have a solution for today. Could you please send an email to technical_enquiries our our domain.com?
I'll send you 8.0 M2, but I am not really optimistic.

Ok, I just installed R8.0 M2 you sent me and nothing happens. The monitor remains black.

AlbanRampon 08-29-2016 12:10 PM

Hello Thomas,
Thanks for the logs and description.
Can you please try 8.0 M2?
Your device doesn't look like it has Mass Storage. If that's correct, then it will work with 8.0 M2.
Kind regards,
Alban

Quote:

Originally Posted by sub4 (Post 81012)
Hello,

I am expieriencing the same issues after Windows 1607 update. Black screen on my Monitor connected via a HP USB2 Dock.

Tried your suggestions with driver uninstalling and also used the EndUser-Cleaner. No success.

I attached my logfiles. Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards
Thomas

AlbanRampon 08-29-2016 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pavel (Post 81013)
Ok, I just installed R8.0 M2 you sent me and nothing happens. The monitor remains black.

Hi Pavel, it means you have a device with Mass Storage then. We don't have a solution at the moment as it needs switching USB configuration and this is not supported by the Windows 10 USB driver we use.

tlh119 08-29-2016 04:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello,

I, too, am having the black screen with no option to clone/extend my display after installing the Windows 10 Anniversary update. I have attached the diagnostic files. Hopefully, you can provide a solution. Thank you.

AlbanRampon 08-29-2016 08:26 PM

Hello tlh119,
I'm sorry, this device is too old and I don't have it in my database.
Can you check if you have a mass storage which is not from another USB key you plugged in your computer?
Alternatively, install the 8.0 M2 previously linked and, if you get your monitor back, then it was NOT a mass storage.
Kind regards,
Alban

Quote:

Originally Posted by tlh119 (Post 81020)
Hello,

I, too, am having the black screen with no option to clone/extend my display after installing the Windows 10 Anniversary update. I have attached the diagnostic files. Hopefully, you can provide a solution. Thank you.

sub4 08-30-2016 07:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thank you Alban for the 8.0 M2, but unfortunately this makes no difference. Still black screen.

Any further help would be appreciated.

Thomas

tlh119 08-30-2016 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlbanRampon (Post 81024)
Hello tlh119,
I'm sorry, this device is too old and I don't have it in my database.
Can you check if you have a mass storage which is not from another USB key you plugged in your computer?
Alternatively, install the 8.0 M2 previously linked and, if you get your monitor back, then it was NOT a mass storage.
Kind regards,
Alban

I installed M2 but it did not help. It looks like I will need to roll back to the previous version of Windows 10.

The device is a Toshiba Dynadock-U and there are no mass storage devices plugged into it.

AlbanRampon 08-30-2016 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tlh119 (Post 81034)
The device is a Toshiba Dynadock-U and there are no mass storage devices plugged into it.

Thank you Tlh119, you have actually a third thing! You have a custom device supporting a special resolution for Thosiba.
I've added your logs for investigation to understand this device. As it's from 2007, it is not too fresh in anyone's memory so not sure what we can do yet.
Please keep an eye on the future Release Notes for ID 23485 in case I don't report progress here.

tlh119 08-30-2016 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlbanRampon (Post 81035)
Thank you Tlh119, you have actually a third thing! You have a custom device supporting a special resolution for Thosiba.
I've added your logs for investigation to understand this device. As it's from 2007, it is not too fresh in anyone's memory so not sure what we can do yet.
Please keep an eye on the future Release Notes for ID 23485 in case I don't report progress here.

Thank you. I will hold off rolling back for now so if there is anything else I can do to help, let me know.

BRC 08-30-2016 09:17 PM

AlbanRampon, I also have a Toshiba Dynadock U (older, not the 3.0 version). When you say to "keep an eye on the future Release Notes for ID 23485" where do I find those release notes and is ID 23485 some sort of internal code for a 8.0M3 release?

On a related note about terminology, throughout forum posts and SW Release Notes on the issue of dock/device compatibility with DL software releases and with Windows 10 AE, DL techs keep referring to the DL-#xx (e.g. works with DL-5xxx, does not work with DL-1xxx)(I think this is the chipset version?) used in our devices. Is there a list somewhere of the common devices such as USB Docks by brand and model and which DL chipset they use? Or how does an end user determine what chipset is in the device we are using? I have scoured Toshiba documentation and specs for my device and do not find that info. So far Toshiba has failed to answer forum posts from fellow users on their website asking the same question. Moreover, contemplating that I may need to abandon this dock and purchase a new one, I don't kind that info listed for any other products from multiple vendors I have sampled. I even tried finding it for the recommended products on the DisplayLink website - and failed to find it. I would like to not buy another near-end-of-support device from the DisplayLink point of view, but don't know how to accomplish the proper homework.

r0bbienz 08-30-2016 11:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 2847

Ive justed updated to 8.0 M2 and still a black screen - ive attached logs to hope it helps find the problem

NedFlanders 08-31-2016 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlbanRampon (Post 81035)

I am in the same boat. I also tried R8.0 M2 unsuccessfully (I have a Toshiba Dynadock-U as well). I still have my Windows 7 work laptop connected to Dynadock as is my desktop running Windows 10. I am still using the dynadock to connect to my mouse and keyboard on the Windows 10 machine but ever since the last windows cumulative update when I switch my USB port to the dynadock - windows (on my Win10 machine) is reinstalling the displaylink driver and this grabs the monitor before my video card can so I end up with the blank screen until I fire up my second monitor and switch to it long enough to get into device manager and uninstall or disable the display link driver and then back to my main monitor.

I am going to keep this up for a little while longer, but the Toshiba Dynadock might find itself flying through the back yard in a week or two if this keeps up. :D

AlbanRampon 08-31-2016 10:49 AM

Hello Ned, and all,

# Release Notes and Tracking Numbers
The Release Notes are the text file indicating changes between releases.
Next to the download, you have a text icon linking to them.
The ID 23485 is the internal tracking number under which reference this particular item is handled.
For instance, if you take 8.0 M2 Release Notes you will see the first item talks about Dell Display Manager and has (22933) at the end of the line.

# Product Obsolescence
DisplayLink does not design, manufacture, or sell any end product. We are a semiconductor vendor. What is in the end product by reference is not known to us until you send me the logs for that device. The manufacturer may change their design without notifying us, we are just one of their many suppliers of components.
Initially affected have been some products DisplayLink stopped selling 8 years ago, but not all of them are. DisplayLink stopping selling a chip does NOT mean the product is end of support because it's not DisplayLink who is responsible for the support, but the people making the devices: they may have million of spares and therefore continue support it. This is the same way nuclear plants have spare devices for the life of the plant, decades after the silicon vendor has stopped building the chips.

# Anniversary Update
What we have today is a very particular case: new operating system, with new way of doing things... which is now standard. The graphics subsystem of Windows 10 Anniversary Update is new, the fact Microsoft stopped increasing the 10 should not be believed it's the same version. The same way Apple releases a new Mac OS 10 every year.
I know it's not really helpful to solve everything, but that's what we have.

So let me summarise the current status, now we have 8.0 M2 issued.

# What Started Working Again on 8.0 M2 and Windows 10 builds >10586
1. Devices Based on DisplayLink First Generation Chip
DisplayLink stopped selling these chips about 10 years ago. I hope you can understand the priority was to support recent products. I am still adamant most companies wouldn't even bother about such old products, yet we have made them work again on 8.0 M2 because we want our products to work as long as we economically can!!!
These products work differently and are not firmware upgradable. Provided the implementation used doesn't have mass storage, then these now work again on 8.0 M2. I talked with my colleague and I'm changing the knowledgebase article to be clearer on this.

# What is Still Not Working With 8.0 M2, Only on Windows 10 builds >10586
1. Devices with mass storage or auto-install
This is not a particular DL-xxx reference because it's nothing to do our chip, it's the implementation chosen by the manufacturer. To answer your question about choice Ned, the only product listed on our website affected is the Diamond Multimedia WPCTPRO.
We currently don't have a workaround.

2. Toshiba Dynadock model circa. 2007
These devices are custom to enable higher resolution than their previous generation. We are looking into it now we have a reproduction of the issue.
The products affected have the Hardware ID USB\VID_17e9&PID_0113 (see in Device Manager).
Older products under that same commercial name under Hardware ID USB\VID_17e9&PID_0110 will now work on 8.0 M2.
Please don't throw it through the garden just yet... ;)
Depending on the results of the investigation, I will be able to let you know if/when we can deliver something to address this. I expect a developer to start the analysis today.

# Summary
I hope you take my transparence in the spirit intended: we are working through the different items we can, and reporting things we can't handle ourselves to who can do something about them.
Unfortunately, I don't have unlimited engineering resources in my hands, therefore I have to prioritise what our customers request me to do with with the rest.
Everyone's feedback here has been key for me to understand how I prioritise the engineers' work, so thank you for taking the time to report your issues as otherwise they might not have been looked at: we can't fix something we don't know is a pressing issue.

Kind regards,
Alban

AllenL 08-31-2016 06:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have installed 8.0 M2 on a clean machine and cannot get anything other than a black screen as well.

I have several HP HSTNN-S01X docking stations that are now just USB hubs because the DisplayLink drivers do not work.

Please assist if possible.

AlbanRampon 09-02-2016 01:26 PM

Hello Allen,
From the Device Manager, it looks like you have a "HP USB DOCK USB Device" with auto-install instead of the DisplayLink mode.
Can you check?
If that's the case, then you are hitting the limitation there is with the Win10 USB driver mentioned in this thread.
Kind regards,
Alban
Quote:

Originally Posted by AllenL (Post 81057)
I have installed 8.0 M2 on a clean machine and cannot get anything other than a black screen as well.

I have several HP HSTNN-S01X docking stations that are now just USB hubs because the DisplayLink drivers do not work.

Please assist if possible.

RichardL 09-02-2016 05:02 PM

Hi - I have just suffered the Windows 10 Anniversary update and have the black screen. My product has Hardware ID USB\VID_17e9&PID_0113, for which I understand a fix is being worked on. As and when this problem is resolved will you send the people on this thread an email to let them know?
Thanks and Good Luck
RichardL

FriendlyFire1104 09-04-2016 11:01 AM

Blank Screen Fix working - Win 10 Anniversary Issues

Using Dell Laptop, Dell D3100 docking station ending in A01 and dated June 2015.
Like everyone here, Win 10 Anniversary killed the video of the D3100.
Process I used to fix the issue:
Brought up the Display Settings and disabled the screen using the DisplayLink (the blinking made it almost impossible to do anything)
Removed old driver (app uninstall - DisplayLink)
In the Device Manager removed 2 D3100 under video (rt click - uninstall)
Ran DisplayLink Cleaner tool.
Rebooted
Ran Windows Update.
I actually reinstalled the M2 driver from DisplayLink before the next step hoping it would work, but it didn't.
Dell Website retrieved Video_Driver_T3YF7_WN32_20.19.15.4463_A04.EXE
This was key (I did the other stuff several times before getting the latest driver)
I enabled the DisplayLink screen as extended and it worked.
Bottom line: The Win 10 Anniversary update did not update the latest video drivers to my system. They did not show up when I did a further Win Update.
Hope this helps.

AlbanRampon 09-04-2016 12:08 PM

@RichardL,
I hope to get a development build for the Toshiba Dynadock-U this week and will post how to get it. Development builds are not formal release quality, but as you have nothing today, I personally believe it's better.

@FriendlyFire,
Extremely useful information, thank you for posting.Were your screen blacks or blinking? This thread was because of no image, and your experience seems to differ. I would like to know to document this in our Windows 10 Anniversary Update KB article.

Kind regards,
Alban

FriendlyFire1104 09-05-2016 11:47 AM

@AlbanRampon,
My display attached to the D3100 was black, the other two screens were blinking. By choosing Disconnect this display under settings the other screens stopped blinking. I wasn't sure if everyone realized the Windows Update doesn't necessarily get the latest drivers for your video adapter. Glad it was useful information. Let me know if you need any further info.