DisplayLink Forum

DisplayLink Forum (https://displaylink.org/forum/index.php)
-   Mac Software (https://displaylink.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   New MacOS Sonoma (https://displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=68926)

Bob Basket 09-28-2023 01:34 AM

New MacOS Sonoma

Hi All,

Before I update to the new MacOS Sonoma was wondering if anybody did the update and had any problems with DisplayLink? is it still working with Sonoma or does it need an update?

I am looking forward to hearing any experiences.

Thanks,
Bob

rstrax@gmail.com 09-28-2023 02:06 AM

I updated to Sonoma today. So far no DisplayLink issues.

broadband 09-28-2023 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Basket (Post 95849)
Hi All,

Before I update to the new MacOS Sonoma was wondering if anybody did the update and had any problems with DisplayLink? is it still working with Sonoma or does it need an update?

Thanks,
Bob

Unfortunately the third monitor on Sonoma 14.0 doesn't work. I will wait for the new DPLink version, maybe then the problem will be solved.

Locovoltaic 09-28-2023 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Basket (Post 95849)
Hi All,

Thanks,
Bob

Just upgraded. Wish I hadn't! Using 2 external monitors on M2 MacBook and they are now super laggy :(

PVJG 09-28-2023 12:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I upgraded the other day. Everything seems to work fine except there is an annoying purple screen sharing icon in the menu bar on all screens whenever display link is running.

https://yourimageshare.com/ib/4TruqCaB15

plasticine 09-29-2023 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rstrax@gmail.com (Post 95850)
I updated to Sonoma today. So far no DisplayLink issues.

what's youur setup? dock, monitors, mac model, etc

Bah434x 09-29-2023 11:20 AM

I have updated both min 14" MacBook Pro M1 Max & 15" MacBook M2 Air. No Issues other than reboot and have to open lid to login before DL starts.

Using 2 Dell 27" displays and Dell D6000 Dock.

Will be testing another Dock later with 3 displays

AlbanRampon 09-29-2023 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broadband (Post 95851)
Unfortunately the third monitor on Sonoma 14.0 doesn't work. I will wait for the new DPLink version, maybe then the problem will be solved.

Hello, can you state the product you are using, please?
We have had no report of loss of functionality on the DL side with Sonoma using our app v1.9
Some docks use multiple video technologies and these alternative technologies are not driven by DisplayLink app. That's usually the case on current 3-display docking stations.
Therefore, waiting for a new app from us may be fruitless.

Could you please reach out to the tech support helpline so they look into the device you are using ?
Here is what to email them: https://support.displaylink.com/know...rticles/755301

Regards,
Alban

plasticine 09-29-2023 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bah434x (Post 95861)
I have updated both min 14" MacBook Pro M1 Max & 15" MacBook M2 Air. No Issues

Using 2 Dell 27" displays and Dell D6000 Dock.

Will be testing another Dock later with 3 displays

That sounds promising!! thanks

ccharlton 10-02-2023 09:01 PM

To be fair, my third DisplayLink monitor (DP-ALT) isn't even stable on MacOS Ventura (13.6). :confused: :(

webby 10-02-2023 09:14 PM

I updated to Sonoma on my M2 air and no new issues.

I still have an issue where my second (BVU195-usb attached) monitor sometimes doesn't recover from sleep and I have to disconnect/reconnect to make it work.

LennyE 10-02-2023 10:05 PM

After updating to Sonoma I'm experiencing quite noticeable lag, especially when scrolling – and sometimes the momentum scrolling using trackpad or magic mouse straight up doesn't work (scroll is very choppy).

Most problematic though is that if the Displaylink software is closed, it won't ever run again without a complete reinstall (reboot won't fix it). What happens is that if the app is ever closed and then opened after installation, it will without exception instantly crash the moment the USB-C cable from the hub is connected.

raymaker 10-03-2023 10:51 PM

I'm experiencing very bad lag on my external monitor with Sonoma on MBA 15'. I'm already on latest Displaylink Manager 1.10.0 Alpha 2 Build 116.

It was much smoother before I upgraded from Ventura to Sonoma a few days ago.

LennyE 10-04-2023 08:32 AM

I managed to resolve my problems with lag. No idea if some of the steps below are abundant, but I'm not going to mess with my setup now that it's finally working. This is what I did:
  • Disconnected everything
  • Reverted back to DisplayLink 1.8.1 (since this was 100% working prior to updating MacOS to Sonoma)
  • Connected my 4k monitor (BenQ PD3200u) using both the dock (Ugreen 90912 "Revodok") and directly with a USB-C to HDMI cable.
  • Put HDMI input 1 and 2 side by side on the monitor (picture in picture, a function on this model of monitor), could still observe lag when going through the dock but direct cable was perfectly fine.
  • Toggled on Experimental 3008x and 2560x mode in DisplayLink settings – Suddenly lag ceased to occur –however scaling looked terrible on the monitor (very fuzzy).
  • Couldn't select proper 4K in display settings for the input that was running through the dock (no idea why experimental mode would do this, but whatever), so I used an app called "BetterDisplay" to force 3840 x 2160 – which worked and the display remained lag free at 60hz (max refresh rate for this monitor).

I don't know why this works, or if some steps above can be omitted from the "solution". Perhaps this will help someone else with this frustrating problem, or be useful for fixing the issue outright.

This also probably(?) doesn't solve the issue I had with DisplayLink software crashing after having been exited out of (after initial installation) every time a USB-C connection is detected. This could have been a whole other issue with Sonoma or something entirely different – however I will not push my luck now that this works. The day I have to do that, I'll update in this thread if the problem persists.

KatarzynaCzaja 10-04-2023 11:25 AM

Hello,

If you are seeing issues with lags in MacOS Sonoma and you have the latest drivers installed (1.10 Aplha 2) please reach out directly to our support team by sending and email to: technical-enquiries@synaptics.com or you can go through the DisplayLink Manager app and Support tab.

Please also make sure to gather logfiles, link to the tool and instructions is located under the 4th link in my signature.

plasticine 10-04-2023 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KatarzynaCzaja (Post 95893)
Hello,

If you are seeing issues with lags in MacOS Sonoma and you have the latest drivers installed (1.10 Aplha 2) please reach out directly to our support team by sending and email to: technical-enquiries@synaptics.com or you can go through the DisplayLink Manager app and Support tab.

Please also make sure to gather logfiles, link to the tool and instructions is located under the 4th link in my signature.

Czész Katarzyna,

for those experiencing that lag, could it be a provisory solution to revert to the 1.9 Since in your website it says is compatible with Sonoma 14 too?

tlitony 10-04-2023 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plasticine (Post 95897)
Czész Katarzyna,

for those experiencing that lag, could it be a provisory solution to revert to the 1.9 Since in your website it says is compatible with Sonoma 14 too?

Hey, I am on 1.9, running a M1 MBP, two monitors @ 1080p, 120hz, with Belkin Triple DD. Awful lag when using these two monitors, experiencing the same trackpad frame skipping and general lag when using 1.9. I just upgraded to 1.10 A2, which hopefully fixes this, which seems bleak.

Will return with update. If this does not work, will revert to 1.8.1, as the previous user, @LennyE suggested.

plasticine 10-05-2023 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tlitony (Post 95900)
Hey, I am on 1.9, running a M1 MBP, two monitors @ 1080p, 120hz, with Belkin Triple DD. Awful lag when using these two monitors, experiencing the same trackpad frame skipping and general lag when using 1.9. I just upgraded to 1.10 A2, which hopefully fixes this, which seems bleak.

Will return with update. If this does not work, will revert to 1.8.1, as the previous user, @LennyE suggested.

Yeah let us know. I have not installed Sonoma yet, but I have the 1.9.1 working fine, so I'm waiting to have more positive feedback

mmacfanboy 10-05-2023 11:34 AM

Sonoma

I use geforce NOW and since sonoma update the external screen is extremely laggy.

offbeatmammal 10-05-2023 10:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by PVJG (Post 95854)
I upgraded the other day. Everything seems to work fine except there is an annoying purple screen sharing icon in the menu bar on all screens whenever display link is running.

same issue - looks like it's a macOS feature, but annoyingly no way to say that DisplayLink is allowed to monitor my screen. What makes it extra annoying is that every now and then it flickers and it's just enough to distract me!

Bah434x 10-06-2023 08:12 AM

This is a macOS feature its part of the enhanced privacy and security setting telling you that an app or devices is using a screen record function to extend displays,

You may also see it you use things like zoom and remote desktop Desktop software

it isn't actually recording anything though

tlitony 10-07-2023 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plasticine (Post 95901)
Yeah let us know. I have not installed Sonoma yet, but I have the 1.9.1 working fine, so I'm waiting to have more positive feedback

To give you an update with a bit of testing... I have come to no conclusive determination about when this lags. I updated 1.1 A2, and the issue persists. The trackpad lag may not be AS bad, but it still exists, and my main gripe is that it feels like I'm running < 30 FPS probably 65% of the time.

I don't know why it does it, though. Sometimes I'll load my CPU up more (never more than 40%) and won't lag, and sometimes, I'll have two tabs open on my two monitors (with 10% util.), and I'll want to shoot myself in the foot.

Somedays, I want to just daisy chain my setup and be done with this BS... For now, I will ride this misery out and save myself the 15m it'd take to install 1.8.

broadband 10-08-2023 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlbanRampon (Post 95862)
Hello, can you state the product you are using, please?
We have had no report of loss of functionality on the DL side with Sonoma using our app v1.9
Some docks use multiple video technologies and these alternative technologies are not driven by DisplayLink app. That's usually the case on current 3-display docking stations.
Therefore, waiting for a new app from us may be fruitless.

Could you please reach out to the tech support helpline so they look into the device you are using ?
Here is what to email them: https://support.displaylink.com/know...rticles/755301

Regards,
Alban

Hello

I'm using Baseus docking station. Link: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B08...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

In the past, Displaylink has always worked with this dock, after updating to Sonoma no longer accepts a third monitor. Is there any chance that this problem will also be solved?

AlbanRampon 10-09-2023 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broadband (Post 95920)
Hello

I'm using Baseus docking station. Link: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B08...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

In the past, Displaylink has always worked with this dock, after updating to Sonoma no longer accepts a third monitor. Is there any chance that this problem will also be solved?

Hello Broadband,
The dock in the link doesn't seem to use DisplayLink technology as it only supports 4kp60 as a single display and the max resolution drops to 1080p in 3 displays. That sounds like MST as the DL-6950 max resolution doesn't vary based on number of monitors connected.
You either have an hybrid dock looking the same, or it isn't DL at all. In either case, the 3rd output would not be driven by DL technology and the DisplayLink Manager app doesn't interact with it/them.
I'd recommend contacting the seller/manufacturer as they may have a firmware update.
It would not be the first time that a change made in macOS (via an OS update) means the chip need an update.
Regards, Alban

AlbanRampon 10-09-2023 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bah434x (Post 95914)
This is a macOS feature its part of the enhanced privacy and security setting telling you that an app or devices is using a screen record function to extend displays,

You may also see it you use things like zoom and remote desktop Desktop software

it isn't actually recording anything though

Yes, unfortunately we do not have choice as this is built-in macOS.

The only way to change this would be for you to also report that to the OS vendor as the message being not desired or helpful for docks as it means the icon is pretty much always here, stopping its usefulness.

Regards,
Alban

plasticine 10-09-2023 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tlitony (Post 95918)
To give you an update with a bit of testing... I have come to no conclusive determination about when this lags. I updated 1.1 A2, and the issue persists. The trackpad lag may not be AS bad, but it still exists, and my main gripe is that it feels like I'm running < 30 FPS probably 65% of the time.

I don't know why it does it, though. Sometimes I'll load my CPU up more (never more than 40%) and won't lag, and sometimes, I'll have two tabs open on my two monitors (with 10% util.), and I'll want to shoot myself in the foot.

Somedays, I want to just daisy chain my setup and be done with this BS... For now, I will ride this misery out and save myself the 15m it'd take to install 1.8.

Sorry to hear that. Thanks for your update, I will hold the macOs update until better feedback comes

broadband 10-09-2023 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlbanRampon (Post 95929)
Hello Broadband,
The dock in the link doesn't seem to use DisplayLink technology as it only supports 4kp60 as a single display and the max resolution drops to 1080p in 3 displays. That sounds like MST as the DL-6950 max resolution doesn't vary based on number of monitors connected.
You either have an hybrid dock looking the same, or it isn't DL at all. In either case, the 3rd output would not be driven by DL technology and the DisplayLink Manager app doesn't interact with it/them.
I'd recommend contacting the seller/manufacturer as they may have a firmware update.
It would not be the first time that a change made in macOS (via an OS update) means the chip need an update.
Regards, Alban

I just got all three monitors working again. Reconnecting the DPLink adapter helped. :)

Tikumo 10-10-2023 07:55 AM

Weird sharing box

All of a sudden after upgrading I've got this sharing box in the bar.
If I click "stop sharing" the image halts.

It creeps me out.

Is there a fix for this?

Also it has gotten more laggy.

http://images.power-projecten.nl/sharing.png

xkadirx 11-03-2023 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tlitony (Post 95918)

I have that same problem. Will there be an update on this issue soon? @AlbanRampon

Trogdyr 11-13-2023 09:28 PM

Working for me now...

I was experiencing same issues listed here. Created an account and am posting to share what worked for me.

I have M1 Macbook Pro (no touch bar version). Dell D6000 Dock. 2x external LG 2560x1440 monitors.

>In DisplayLink Manager menu icon, enable experimental 3008x and 2560x modes.
>Go into Mac Display Settings
>Select external monitor
>Toggle "Show All Resolutions"
>IMORTANT - There are now two 1440 resolutions. MAKE SURE the 2560 x 1440 (Low Resolution) is selected. NOT the (Default)
>Select correct hz. I can go up to 75hz on mine, but selected 60hz to save on the dock bandwidth.

The (Low Resolution) was the key to fix mine. If I select (Default) it goes back to crappy lag. Tested with same positive result on 1.8.1 and 1.10. It doesn't matter what version you are on. You made need to restart app or unplug, re-plug in dock to have it propoerly recognize new resolutions.

Hope this helps someone.

displayking 11-14-2023 04:58 PM

If you have displaylink working, I would not upgrade. My 3rd monitor isn't working. See my thread here

CartWheels 11-17-2023 03:26 PM

Reducing refresh rate fixed it for me

I just upgraded to Sonoma from Ventura, and was having the same issues posted here.

The fix for me was *reducing refresh rate from 100Hz to 60Hz* -- completely resolved the issue.

Hardware:
* MacBook M1 Air (2020)
* DL6100 dock with DisplayLink
* 3 monitors (two standard 1080 screens and one 4k widescreen)

Issues:
* All other non-4k screens worked perfectly fine, but the main 4k screen had extremely laggy scroll and text input specifically, basically unusable

Resolution:
* Updated to latest DisplayLink manager (v1.10)
* Followed one of the other suggestions here around refresh rate, didn't change anything else (still used default resolution, no other system settings changes, etc.)

Hope this helps others.

slederer87 11-18-2023 10:04 AM

Hi,

I'm on a Macbook Pro 14" 2021 M1 Pro, on Sanoma 14.1.1 (23B81). I'm using a Targus Doch190-C with the Diplaylink Manager release 1.10 from from Oct 26. 2023 (https://www.synaptics.com/products/d...ownloads/macos).

My docing station is unusable. It connect/disconnects permanently, and the webcam (Logitech) is also not working, or if it's working it's super slow.

What do I need to change to make everything work again?

DaveAsh 11-18-2023 11:07 AM

Startech & Mac

Hi all,

I've just tried to set up a new Startech USB-C dock (https://www.startech.com/en-gb/unive...116u-usbc-dock) with a 2023 Macbook Air with M2 chip. Downloaded appropriate displaylink drivers etc but not only do my external monitors not show (2 x Asus via HDMI into the dock), the laptop beeps every other second when the dock is plugged into the USB-C ports and the brightness goes up & down. Anyone experienced anything like this? Have emailed Startech as their support aren't open on weekends but thought I'd check here too.

Mac OS is 14.1.1

Thanks,

koptimist 12-08-2023 07:36 AM

3rd monitor not working

My config:
1. Macbook Pro M2 pro
2. Dell Docking Station 6000
3. Monitor 1 - Dell P2319H
4. Monitor 2 - Dell P2319H
5. Monitor 3 - BenQ 2480
6. MacOS - Sonoma 14.1.2
7. Display Link Manager -1.10.0

Only two monitors work at one time. Two of the monitors are connected with DP port, and one monitor is connected with HDMI port. Irrespective of which port is used only 2 monitors work. Was anybody able to resolve this?

dds 12-08-2023 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PVJG (Post 95854)

Just upgraded to a new laptop running to Sonoma from an older laptop on Ventura.

Wow - that menu bar icon IS annoying! Is there any way to remove it or hide it? This is new in Sonoma right?

teddyfulk 12-13-2023 02:23 PM

Ended up switching devices

2 Attachment(s)
I thought it was a problem with display link, but it turned out that Sonoma display link and the media gear dock station I was using ended up being the problem. I bought a smaller dock station off of Amazon for 90 bucks. It's the pluggable one and works perfectly with the updated October 2023 display link upgrade on my Apple M1 MacBook Pro with two monitors.