DisplayLink Forum

DisplayLink Forum (https://displaylink.org/forum/index.php)
-   Windows Software (https://displaylink.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Windows 8, Lenvo USB 3.0 dock = lag + fuzzy image (https://displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2070)

lasse 10-31-2012 08:44 AM

Windows 8, Lenvo USB 3.0 dock = lag + fuzzy image

1 Attachment(s)
Hi,
I have a setup consisting of a Lenovo X1 Carbon, Lenovo USB 3.0 dock (0A33970/1) and two external monitors connected by DVI running at 1920x1200.

I installed the 7.0 M2 driver before connecting the dock to ensure proper installation. So far so god...

However I am having performance issues on the external monitors. scrolling, moving windows around and even moving the mouse pointer causes lag and poor image quality (best described as a fuzzy blink).

I have attached support files for further investigation.
Please help me solve this issue!

Wim 10-31-2012 03:12 PM

Yep - this has come up in similar threads. I think we have managed to reproduce something similar and investigating this at the moment. Hopefully we will have a fix for this in the next release that hopefully will fix these issues on the forum.

Thanks

Wim

lasse 10-31-2012 04:38 PM

Just to let you know. Updated BIOS for my X1C improved the situation. Not nearly fixed, but improved.

Wim 11-01-2012 03:57 PM

Interesting... That might have fixed some USB issues, which would increase the USB throughput and therefore increase the interactivity of DisplayLink. This could help some other users who have been seeing this issue.

Wim

mirezko 12-04-2012 08:22 AM

external 1920x1200 slow USB mouse

1 Attachment(s)
My mouse doesn't move very smooth on external monitor connected to DVI on Lenovo USB 3.0 Dock station

I am not playing any video, just working in office tools, notepad, using Chrome and the mouse doesn't move smooth, staggers just a little, but the movement is not as precise as on the notebook screen - which makes the external screen pretty much unusable

:confused: Can you please assist?

installed DisplayLink_7.0M3.exe

USB mouse is Logitech MX620 cordless

Computer: LENOVO - 33642DG [reducted]
OS: Microsoft Windows 8 Pro (x64-based PC), No Service Pack, English
OS Build: 9200 (Debug = False)
System Bios: Version GAET34WW (1.11 ) built 2012/06/13
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3520M CPU @ 2.90GHz
Number of Cores: 4
Memory: 15978 MB
Free Space: 23804 MB
Primary Resolution: 1920x1200x32
Desktop Size: 3520x1200
Number of Monitors Connected: 2
Graphics: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 (Intel Corporation)
Graphics Driver: 9.17.10.2867 Dated 2012/09/26
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 620M (NVIDIA)
Graphics Driver: 9.18.13.623 Dated 2012/08/30
WEI Base Score is 6.5, CPU 7.2, RAM 7.5, GPU 6.5, Gaming 6.5, Disk 7.9
Desktop Mode: Aero

lasse 12-04-2012 12:52 PM

I have the exact same problem.
Laggy mouse movement and blurry image when moving stuff around.
Also just using standard office apps.

mirezko 12-04-2012 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lasse (Post 8570)
I have the exact same problem.
Laggy mouse movement and blurry image when moving stuff around.
Also just using standard office apps.

what is your HW configuration and DisplayLink device?

lasse 12-04-2012 02:42 PM

Everything explained here:
http://www.displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2070

Now running the latest M3 drivers.

mirezko 12-04-2012 03:32 PM

it seems I created a duplicate thread http://www.displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2145

however, I am using the newest drivers DisplayLink 7.0M3

I will try to get other USB 3 drivers and see if that helps

mirezko 12-10-2012 06:31 PM

bumping post

I couldn't find newer USB drivers that I actually have.
I am waiting for the DisplayLink drivers update.

Is there any tool that can monitor USB 3.0 throughput so I could see if it is being used to 100%?

So far I could find only information in Device Manager and it says 3% (connected external USB driver and DVI 1900x1200 monitor)

rsenio 12-10-2012 09:42 PM

I can verify the same, very annoying, functionality. New Dell XPS 14 Ultrabook, core i7, ssd, Windows 8, latest DisplayLink software etc. Targus USB 3.0 dual video docking station. Nothing but lag, mouse and video, and the occasional garbled video along the task bar, icons. Terrible.

macros14 12-12-2012 03:07 PM

Targus, Display Link, Windows 8 Keyboard/Mouse lag

I recently got a new Dell XPS15 running windows 8. I have two large dell monitors running at 1920X1200. When I had both monitors running through displaylink, my logitech mouse was so laggy, it was unusable.

I have since changed my setup a bit so that I only have one monitor running through displaylink and the other connected directly to my laptop. This has helped quite a bit, though now, when my computer is under a little bit of load, my keyboard stops responding. My mouse still works fine. But I have to wait for my keyboard actions to be recognized, which is in the 10/20 second range.

Overall, I am pretty dissatisfied with displaylink and Windows 8, and most of the time find the solution unusable. Hopefully in the near future, some updates will alleviate the issues, but for now having issues with keyboard and/or mouse is a pretty big deal and frustrating.

rsenio 12-12-2012 10:54 PM

http://www.displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2070

Didn't see this thread? lol

So far I am nothing less than disappointed with "DisplayLink" Using the dual monitors, mouse, keyboard etc through the Displaylink dock station is one awful experience. Close to completely unusable.

Joe Michaud 12-13-2012 07:20 PM

I am having similar issues with my Toshiba Portege Z935-P300 after upgrading to Window 8. (Windows 7 worked great)

Setting the "Optimize for Video" option seems to have helped and has made my docking station much more usable while I wait for the next driver update.

Sabbasolo 12-20-2012 06:48 AM

Targus docking station with DisplayLink, Samsung S9

My Samsung S9 with a Targus docking station exhibits the mouse (Elan trackpad actually) problem quite seriously. I have the M3 drivers and if I turn off displaylink the problem disappears.

It is worse if video is showing on one of the display screens.

I am hopeful it will be fixed soon.

lasse 01-03-2013 01:33 PM

Update to latest drivers 7.1 did not help regarding lag and fuzzy image.
Did a complete uninstall of 7.0 M3 driver - reboot, installation of 7.1 driver - reboot and then connect the docking.

Issues still present. Just to let you know :(

mirezko 01-03-2013 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lasse (Post 8779)
Update to latest drivers 7.1 did not help regarding lag

I confirm that. The issue with laggy mouse is still present. However it's much better than with 7.0 M3 drivers (Win 8, single 1920x1200, USB 3.0)

mirezko 01-05-2013 03:43 PM

I was forced to downgrade to Windows 7 (due to a bug in SocketAsyncEventArgs)

and I have to say I am really disappointed with this docking station (Lenovo USB 3.0 Dock), it should support 2x DVI monitors, but if this single 1920x1200 is too much for it I can't imagine how it would work with two of these...

Why it can't be as smooth as simple DVI cable? Why would Lenovo even sell this if it doesn't work smooth?

chrisedwards 02-04-2013 05:51 PM

Any update from DisplayLink on this issue? I just bought a USB 3 dock and am experiencing mouse lag on the dock-connected monitor.

Specs:

X1 Carbon (Intel HD 4000 graphics)
Updated to latest BIOS from Lenovo (2.5)
Updated to latest dock firmware from Lenovo
Installed DisplayLink 7.1 M1

Cheers.

zharry89 02-21-2013 06:21 PM

I'm having similar issues:

- laggy mouse
- intermettiet keyboard issues (sometimes it works/sometimes it doesn't)
- fuzzy screen at times

With the same setup

2x DVI 1600-900 monitors
1x USB mouse/keyboard
ASUS Zenbook Prime Touch

I have updated to all the latest USB3 drivers, most current BIOs version available, and latest Displaylink drivers (Feb update). Running latest version of Windows 8 Pro. Still having issues.

Is there a fix coming? What is the timeline? This is frustrating

fmarines 03-14-2013 01:38 PM

Same problem with my new Lenovo X1 Carbon Touch

Just got a brand new Lenovo X1 Carbon touch and any external monitor, whether connected directly via mini-display port to DVI or DVI to through the USB 3 dock exhibits ongoing grainyness and flickering, as if watching a badly compressed JPEG video...

This is extremely dissapointing as I always work docked!! Help!

rcreps 03-19-2013 02:12 PM

I'll echo this same situation. Been working for a month with X1 Carbon Touch and the Dock issues are extremely frustrating.

swenkach 03-19-2013 02:45 PM

Bumping the same. I'm really not doing anything special. Unboxed laptop, connected displaylink to basic 20" lcd via dvi, and if there is even the slightest activity, i get a bit of a blur. If the monitor is connected directly to the laptop, i don't have any problems.

Simon 03-21-2013 09:13 AM

Exact same problem

Hi
I am also using a Lenovo USB 3.0 dock and a X1 Carbon, and I am experiencing the exact same problems; mouse and image lag.
I would like to know if you expect to fix the problems, or if I should be looking for an other dock solution, because this dock do not work sufficiently at the moment!
Regards
Simon

papaphilya 03-21-2013 04:34 PM

WHat is the status of this?

I am having the same issue for one of our executive staff and the mouse lag and screen blurryness is unacceptable. any ETA on the solution? Thanks

carminus 03-21-2013 04:39 PM

Yeah same problem. XPS 13 Ultrabook using kensington (3500). Also, the screen blacks out. It's as if the docking station reboots or losses connection with laptop.

Sadly, I can't find a decent competitor for a new docking station or I would jump ship. They are all just rebranded displaylinks.

djxcee 03-27-2013 10:01 PM

I am getting very bad lag with my Sony VAIO VPCZ1. The lag is so unbearable that I must disable video from displaylink to get it to work fine. It is running a 330M Nvidia GFX

I hope you guys can come out with an issue soon.

stylefish 03-29-2013 10:35 AM

usb driver issue

hey guys,
i had the exact same problem, but i found a post which resolved my issues (almost) completly.
i'm running a HP dock with DL-3000 series on a samsung notebook.
The Notebook uses the Intel eXtensibile USB host controller.
i found more guys having performance issues using this controller under win8 with usb 3 external drives etc.
so i finally found this tutorial on how to install the original driver from intel (for win7) in windows 8. for me it solves the performance issues!
this is the link, hope it helps :)
http://plugable.com/2012/12/01/windo...st-controllers
greetz

xijio 03-29-2013 08:29 PM

This is a major problem. I am so fed up with the jumpy mouse and the fuzzy images.

Can we get SOME word on when this will be fixed? I can barely get any work done.

Ugh.

Buellllllller?

xijio 03-29-2013 08:50 PM

I followed these instructions, now my USB doesn't doesn't work at all. I don't recommend doing this if you've got a Carbon X1 and a Lenovo USB 3.0 dock.

So much for that shimmer of hope :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by stylefish (Post 69013)
hey guys,
i had the exact same problem, but i found a post which resolved my issues (almost) completly.
i'm running a HP dock with DL-3000 series on a samsung notebook.
The Notebook uses the Intel eXtensibile USB host controller.
i found more guys having performance issues using this controller under win8 with usb 3 external drives etc.
so i finally found this tutorial on how to install the original driver from intel (for win7) in windows 8. for me it solves the performance issues!
this is the link, hope it helps :)
http://plugable.com/2012/12/01/windo...st-controllers
greetz

Just Me 03-30-2013 02:24 PM

Uninstall old drivers first?

Did you uninstall your old DisplayLink drivers and your video drivers first? If so, try Driver Fusion to make sure you got rid of all the NVidia remnants. They like to hang around even after an uninstall.

stylefish 04-02-2013 02:01 PM

the performance gets significantly worse when i disconnect my charger, even with the "new old" drivers from intel.
sorry, xijio for the inconvenience. for me it got better with the drivers but only with the charger connected. a fix / performance improvement for the DL drivers would be really nice...

Wim 04-03-2013 03:08 PM

I've just published the new v7.2 release on our website that should improve this.

Let me know if this does improve the effects you are seeing.

Wim

xijio 04-03-2013 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wim (Post 69052)
I've just published the new v7.2 release on our website that should improve this.

Let me know if this does improve the effects you are seeing.

Wim

Just instaled 7.2 didn't fix it :(
:(

xijio 04-05-2013 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xijio (Post 69067)
Just instaled 7.2 didn't fix it :(
:(

It is slightly better than it was before, but I still feel like I'm using a remote desktop on my two attached monitors. There is noticable input lag and screen update lag. The color shifting and blurriness seems to be gone though. Any pointers?

oh and the most anything thing to an end user from an HCI perspective is doing some input and seeing no result. I move my mouse and it doesn't move, 1 second later, it finally moves. Very frustrating!

jonlove 04-05-2013 07:48 PM

Just wanted to echo that I also have the same problem... Windows 7 (64 bit) with the latest Displaylink drivers for the Lenovo USB 3.0 dock.

Very frustrating - it does feel a lot like operating through a remote connection. I have one VGA monitor and one DVI, and it is noticeably worse on the DVI connection (which is higher resolution).

Happy to help debug at all but would be great to find a solution, otherwise having 2 external monitors is not going to last long.

stylefish 04-07-2013 08:39 PM

thanks for the update!
i've tested a bit with the new driver but i think the performance is nearly as slow as before.
if you need some information or can build a beta/debug driver i'm happy to help!

lasse 04-08-2013 08:27 AM

My impressions for 7.2 driver update.

Still running Lenovo X1 carbon and Lenovo USB 3.0 dock with 2 x external monitors and nothing else. Both running DVI @ 1920x1200.

- Blurry image seems to have gone. Moving my mouse pointer over the task bar now does not produce blurry icons.
- Mouse lag still present and even worse than before. Mouse pointer freeze for about one second every few minutes.
- CPU usage still high from the DisplayLinkManager Application 5-30% constant.

So one step forward - one and half back.

jonlove 04-08-2013 10:55 AM

Ignore me - it's still the DVI monitor/highesr res that seems to be worse for me

twisterx 04-08-2013 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lasse (Post 69134)
My impressions for 7.2 driver update.
- Blurry image seems to have gone. Moving my mouse pointer over the task bar now does not produce blurry icons.
- Mouse lag still present and even worse than before. Mouse pointer freeze for about one second every few minutes.
- CPU usage still high from the DisplayLinkManager Application 5-30% constant.

I am running a 2560x1440 monitor through the HP3005pr USB3.0 dock. I have also had pixelation issues, but after 7.2M0 this is completely gone! :)

I still have minor lag on the mouse from time to time.