PDA

View Full Version : HP notebook freezes

Always$omething
05-28-2011, 07:53 PM
My DisplayLink device (HP USB Media Docking Station) freezes several times during the day on my Windows 7 Professional 64-bit system. I thought it was something to do with my HP notebook, but when I leave the docking station disconnected, the notebook never does freeze-up. Once the system freezes the only way to make things work again seems to be holding down the power button until the system shuts down, and then I restart the notebook.

Aero is on.
I am using DisplayLink Core Software ver. 5.6.31854.0
DisplayLink Graphics ver. 5.6.31870.0

This seems to be a fairly recent manifestation since about 3 weeks to a month ago.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?
Sign me frustrated.

Wim
06-01-2011, 09:35 AM
Can you post the debug logs, with advanced logging, as described here:

http://kb.displaylink.com/269

Thanks

Wim

Always$omething
06-02-2011, 03:59 PM
Here is the data gathered.

Thanks for your help.

Wim
06-14-2011, 01:11 PM
Hi

The log files don't show anything out of the ordinary from our software. You say the whole system freezes, but there is no blue screen?

This sounds like it could be more to do with hardware, maybe memory or overheating. This might only occur as more CPU and memory is used when DisplayLink is connected, causing the problem to occur.

Without a blue screen dmp file, there is not much more we can do to remotely debug what is going wrong here, as it sounds like a fundamental system problem, rather than a software crash.

Wim

louis
07-13-2011, 03:45 PM
Hi All,

Do you have any update on this?

We are having the same issue on hp 5320 m probooks with the USB 2.0 docking stations.

sometimes we can't reboot the laptop without first taking the battery out. it just sits there with the fan going in overdrive with a black screen.

Dan
07-16-2011, 10:52 PM
Hi Louis,

I'm really sorry you're having trouble. Could you email techsupport@displaylink.com please? Please cite me.

thanks,

Dan Ellis

nothappy
07-26-2011, 05:05 PM
Hello,

We have HP 4530s notebook and HP USB Media docking station with LG w2442PA monitor. The notebook freezes. When this happens the only way to reboot the computer is by holding the power on/off button. Yesterday the user has an issue with the monitor flickering and showing same image even after computer restart. We got rid of the flickering image by powering off the docking station. The notebook freezes today and I use the Displaylink debug tool to gather the information. Is there anyone from displaylink support able to troubleshoot the issue?

nothappy
07-26-2011, 06:14 PM
Here is the attached zip file.

ovalhed
07-26-2011, 08:12 PM
I have HP Pavilion dv7 with USB media port replicator using DisplayLink software driver USB Graphics WIndows Driver 5.6M1 which installed itself as
version 5.6.31854.0 on my computer. I am using 2 external monitors with laptop; Samsung model SyncMaster 930B monitors.
Computer continues to lock up, freeeze and completely stop at unpredictable random times and needs complete power shut down in order to have computer function again.
Does anyone have any idea what new work around I can use to fix this problem with DisplayLink issue?
Thanks

Wim
07-27-2011, 12:23 PM
Hi

If the whole system freezes, then there is something going seriously wrong. There should normally be some information written if the machine crashes in this way. Can you check that the system is set to write debugging information when it happens as this will give a clue as to what has gone wrong.

The guide here describes how to do this, then hopefully when it occurs you will get a Blue screen and some debugging information written.

Let me know once you have this and I'll send you some details of where to upload it.

Thanks

Wim

Wim
07-27-2011, 12:27 PM
I have HP Pavilion dv7 with USB media port replicator using DisplayLink software driver USB Graphics WIndows Driver 5.6M1 which installed itself as
version 5.6.31854.0 on my computer. I am using 2 external monitors with laptop; Samsung model SyncMaster 930B monitors.
Computer continues to lock up, freeeze and completely stop at unpredictable random times and needs complete power shut down in order to have computer function again.
Does anyone have any idea what new work around I can use to fix this problem with DisplayLink issue?
Thanks

I've merged this as it looks like a similar issue. Could you follow the instructions in the above post also?

Thanks

Wim

nothappy
07-27-2011, 02:39 PM
Where is the guide you mention about the debugging information? I checked under Starter and Recovery the settings are “write an event to the system log”, “Kernel memory dump”, override any existing file. When the freeze happens I can’t find any information in the event log and there is no blue screen.
When I run displaylink debug tool there was a memory dump file but is too big, the zip is 143mb, I can’t upload it.

Wim
07-28-2011, 11:24 AM
Where is the guide you mention about the debugging information? I checked under Starter and Recovery the settings are “write an event to the system log”, “Kernel memory dump”, override any existing file. When the freeze happens I can’t find any information in the event log and there is no blue screen.
When I run displaylink debug tool there was a memory dump file but is too big, the zip is 143mb, I can’t upload it.

Does the date of the MEMORY.DMP file align with the date and time of the freeze? This may have been caused by a different issue. If it does look to be from the freezing issue, then I'll send you details to upload the crash.

Thanks

Wim

Pleasefix
08-01-2011, 07:54 PM
I am experiencing the same problem on all 15 of my laptops and docking stations. I have since detached my docking stations and my laptops work fine. Is there a fix for this? When I have the docking station plugged in and uninstall the Display Link drivers, it works fine for a while, but then always freezes back up. I have installed, uninstalled, the drivers from Factory to the latest and have had the same results. I am using a HP DV6TSE, with i7 840, 8GB RAM and an ATI mobility 5600 Premium Video Card. I have uninstalled the ATI Catalyst software and have the same issue with or without the Displaylink installed. Is there a battle going on between ATI and Displaylink. More importantly, how do we fix it or disable Display link in the HP Port Replicator?

Mats
08-02-2011, 07:43 AM
Hi All,

Do you have any update on this?

We are having the same issue on hp 5320 m probooks with the USB 2.0 docking stations.

sometimes we can't reboot the laptop without first taking the battery out. it just sits there with the fan going in overdrive with a black screen.

Hi,
Do you have any leads on this issue?
At our company some of the users are experiencing the same problems. Laptop freeze and the only way to fix it is to hard reset with the on/off button. Sometimes after it happens the computer does not start up, it stops before the boot and the fan goes overdrive. The battery needs to be removed or it will happen again at the next power off/on.
The problem only happens if it’s docked to the docking station. Sometimes many times a day.

HP 5320m with i5 core. Windows 7 pro 64bit.

Let me know if I can give any info that would be of any help since this is intolerable.

Wim
08-02-2011, 09:07 AM
Hi All

I'm sorry you all seem to be having the same problem. This is something we want to get to the root cause of. We are trying to reproduce this on some HP laptops we have here, but have had no success so far. So we need your help to find the root cause.

I'm assuming that the whole PC has frozen up at this time (including the laptop screen). Also, I assume that pressing Num lock or Caps lock on the keyboard does not toggle the LED on the keyboard, which means that the PC has really locked up.

We really need the crash information from the system when this occurs. It is possible to force the PC to blue screen and write the dump information. If you are experiencing this problem, please could you follow the instructions below and create a full memory dump when the system is frozen. Once you have done this, let me know and I'll send you details of where to upload this.

Forcing a System Crash from the Keyboard
For further information see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff545499.aspx

It is assumed that the system has been set-up to to produce Kernel Mode dump files. It might be worth checking. For further info see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff542953.aspx. Note, you want to write a "Full memory dump" not a small memory dump.

For PS/2 keyboards ensure that the following registry key exists HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\i8042prt\Parameters\ . Create a value named CrashOnCtrlScroll , and set it equal to a REG_DWORD value of 0x01.

reg add HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\i8042prt\Parameters /v CrashOnCtrlScroll /t REG_DWORD /d 1

For USB keyboards ensure that the following registry key exists HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\kbdhid\Parameters\ . Create a value named CrashOnCtrlScroll , and set it equal to a REG_DWORD value of 0x01.

reg add HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\kbdhid\Parameters /v CrashOnCtrlScroll /t REG_DWORD /d 1

Restart the system.

Initiating a crash dump
After the above has been done, the keyboard crash can be initiated by using the following hotkey sequence:

Hold down the rightmost CTRL key, and press the SCROLL LOCK key twice, while the system is frozen.

i gemini
08-03-2011, 03:29 PM
I am having the EXACT same issue. I had to disconnect and uninstall the software to remain functional here at work. Will be following this thread in hopes of a resolution. My system is:

HP Pavilion DM4
Windows 7 Pro
4 gb ram
Intel I5 processor

Wim
08-03-2011, 04:04 PM
I am having the EXACT same issue. I had to disconnect and uninstall the software to remain functional here at work. Will be following this thread in hopes of a resolution. My system is:

HP Pavilion DM4
Windows 7 Pro
4 gb ram
Intel I5 processor

Could you try following the steps above to create a Blue screen, as this will give is more information. We're still trying to reproduce this. We have a number of HP laptops under soak test to try and show the issue, but no joy so far.

It would be useful if people can also post the type of DisplayLink device they have found the issue with, so we can see if its related to particular hardware.

Also, some other things for anyone to try who has this issue:

Could you check that you have the latest BIOS installed for the laptop. There do seem to be BIOS updates for the systems listed here, and some of the release notes do refer to problems with the video, which DisplayLink could provoke.
On switchable graphics systems, try operating with Intel integrated graphics only and see if the problem goes away. This is not a solution but may help us get close to the cause.

Thanks

Wim

i gemini
08-03-2011, 06:17 PM
Could you try following the steps above to create a Blue screen
As I mentioned, I had to uninstall the software. Freezes were more than I could handle here at work.
post the type of DisplayLink device they have found the issue with
HP usb media port replicator p/n VY87AA#ABA

Could you check that you have the latest BIOS installed for the laptop.
In my case, I had to most current BIOS update prior to uninstalling the software.

On switchable graphics systems, try operating with Intel integrated graphics only and see if the problem goes away. This is not a solution but may help us get close to the cause.
Give me directions for dummies on how to do this. I'm not an IT guy, just trying to solve my own problems since I have no IT guy.

Mats
08-04-2011, 08:37 AM
Hi Wim,
Unfortunately it's not possible to force a crach dump the way described. When the computer freeze it gives no reaction on the 'right Ctrl + Scroll lock two times'.

My display device is a HP
Regulatory Model Number: HSTNN-S02X
Assembly P/N : 589100-001
Spares P/N : 589144-001
S/N: JP1035C37a Rev:A

BIOS is the most recent found on HPs download site.
F.03 - 30 Sep 2010

Running on Intels display adapter.

/Mats

Mats
08-04-2011, 08:48 AM
And this is from the sw release notes.

DisplayLink Software Release: External Release Note
Software Package: HP USB Docking Video
Product Version: 5.3.24566.0
Product Date: 22nd April 2010
DisplayLink Core Software Version: 5.3.24474.0
DisplayLink Core Software Date: 19th April 2010

/Mats

Wim
08-04-2011, 08:57 AM
And this is from the sw release notes.

DisplayLink Software Release: External Release Note
Software Package: HP USB Docking Video
Product Version: 5.3.24566.0
Product Date: 22nd April 2010
DisplayLink Core Software Version: 5.3.24474.0
DisplayLink Core Software Date: 19th April 2010

/Mats

Hi Mats

That's really important information if you are using v5.3 software. This is over a year old, and was not tested on the switchable graphics laptop you have. I would expect problems with v5.3 on this laptop.

This release did not support DX10 on the system you have, and also does not have switchable graphics support, so there probably would be issues.

Can you (and everyone posting in this thread) make sure that v5.6 M1 from the DisplayLink website installed. The version of "DisplayLink Core Software" in Control Panel->Programs should be 5.6.31870.0.

At least then we will be testing the same software.

Thanks

Wim

Mats
08-04-2011, 12:26 PM
Hi Mats

That's really important information if you are using v5.3 software. This is over a year old, and was not tested on the switchable graphics laptop you have. I would expect problems with v5.3 on this laptop.

This release did not support DX10 on the system you have, and also does not have switchable graphics support, so there probably would be issues.

Can you (and everyone posting in this thread) make sure that v5.6 M1 from the DisplayLink website installed. The version of "DisplayLink Core Software" in Control Panel->Programs should be 5.6.31870.0.

At least then we will be testing the same software.

Thanks

Wim

Hi Wim,
The DisplayLink Core software shows 5.6.31854.0
but the DisplayLink Graphics is 5.6.31870.0
Is that correct?

I'm going away for a week now but will get back with an update if the problem is solved.

Thanks,
Mats

i gemini
08-04-2011, 12:54 PM
Hi Wim,
The DisplayLink Core software shows 5.6.31854.0
but the DisplayLink Graphics is 5.6.31870.0
Is that correct?
I just reinstalled the software. Mine shows the same as Mats.

Wim
08-04-2011, 04:11 PM
OK - that looks good for both of you. The Core version of software is the important bit, as that's the "brains" of the driver. The other part is the version of the branding information for devices.

Could you also enable the BSOD trick to collect a crash dump, although it looks like the PC may be too frozen for this to happen. Could you check that the BSOD keypress is enabled by trying it when the PC is not frozen (but you have nothing important open :-) )

Thanks

Wim

Grahamstein
08-12-2011, 05:39 PM
I have the same issue with 2 HP dv6z notebooks. They will freeze forcing me to remove the battery or hold down the power switch to reboot. When they freeze even disconnecting the docking station or unplugging the power cord from it does nothing.

The issue seems to be limited to the display driver, disabling it and plugging the monitor directly to the notebook eliminates the issue all together.

Mats
08-16-2011, 08:04 AM
Hi Wim,
We have tested with the latest software for a week now and the problem still exist.
Even though my collegue thinks it might be less frequent.

The BSOD has been enabled and tested when not frozen but unfortunately it does not work when the freeze happens.

Is there anything else I can assist with in the troubleshooting?

/Mats

nothappy
08-17-2011, 01:49 PM
We still have the same issue. When the notebook freezes there is no dump file.

Wim
08-18-2011, 03:58 PM
We've still not managed to reproduce this freeze on our HP laptops in our system test lab.

I have just released our v6.0 software on the forum, which not only contains support for our new chips, but also has bug fixes and some rearchitecture. This may indirectly fix the lockups you are seeing.

I'd appreciate it if you could try this software build and see if the freezing issue "goes away"

http://www.displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1076

If it still occurs in this, then we'll look into making a special build to try and give more information on the freeze.

Thanks

Wim

Wim
08-26-2011, 05:33 AM
Any update on v6.0? Does it fix this issue for the users on this thread?

Thanks

Wim

skynerd
09-01-2011, 02:49 AM
I am encountering the same freeze issue (HP Pavilion dm4, with HP dock); I installed version 6, and although the monitor does look better, unfortunately the freezing still occurs.

nydamon
09-07-2011, 03:41 PM
FYI, exact same problem here.
Windows 7
HP Pavilion DV6
using the new 6.0 driver

Total freeze, no errors. Must be hard rebooted.

The dock is worthless if this happens every hour

Wim
09-08-2011, 09:56 AM
Hi All

OK - we really want to get to the bottom of this, but having tried many times, cannot reproduce this freezing in our labs.

Reading all the posts, it seems limited to HP laptops, using this port replicator:

http://www.shopping.hp.com/product/computer/categories/docking_solutions/1/accessories/VY847AA%2523ABA

Are there any users finding the freezing NOT using this setup?

Once we can reproduce this, it should be possible to diagnose where the issue is, but without reproduction, we cannot remotely diagnose this.

Is it possible any users on here have a system that they could ship to DisplayLink for us to investigate? I'm thinking of corporations mainly, who might be able to provide a setup for us.

Please let me know if this is possible so we cn find out what is causing this serious issue.

Thanks

Wim

Wim
09-08-2011, 10:01 AM
The initial post seemed to imply this started with v5.6 M1 software. Could users try downgrading to v5.6 or v5.5 M2 available here:

http://www.displaylink.com/support/downloads_previous_releases.php

And see if the freeze still continues? Might giev some clues as to what changed in our software to introduce it.

Thanks

Wim

skynerd
09-08-2011, 07:56 PM
Ive rolled my driver back to 5.6; will let you know results.

thanks.

jaywill80
09-08-2011, 09:12 PM
This started to occur all of sudden after our Windows 7 roll out. (Of course it didn't occur once during our pilot deployment.) As other have stated users will laptops will completely lock up and are unresponsive. So it’s impossible to provide any debug information. The only error that is recorded in the event viewer is unexpected shutdown. From what I have seen the issue seems to occur when using IE 8, Power Point 2010, in house app that uses .NET

The hardware model that we are using is HP 8440p i5 M520 2.4Ghz running Windows 7 Pro. The docking station model is HP USB 2.0 http://h30094.www3.hp.com/product.asp?sku=10260281&mfg_part=AY052AA&pagemode=ca

The display core software installed is: 5.6.31870.0 driver that is installed is version: 5.6.31854.0 this driver was installed when checking the display link updates from the GUI.
When checking the site for the latest driver 5.6.31548 is currently available for download? Not sure why the driver on the site has a lower revision number then what I’m currently running? Can someone please let me know what the most current driver version is?

Tried changing power settings in Windows 7 to High Performance and disabling USB sleep. This seemed to help some users but, there are still users that are having this intermittent freezing issue.

Also another thing that is worth noting is I updated the NVIIDA graphics driver to 280.26 for 2 users that were having this issue and it seems to have stopped the freezing. However, it’s only been a few days for one user and about 7 days for the other since the upgrade but, so far so good. However, not sure why this would have fixed the issue? Conflict between the display link and NVIDIA driver? Anyway Keeping my fingers crossed.

Any additional insight into possible causes the freezing issue would very be helpful.

Any questions please let me know.
Thanks

jimAH
09-10-2011, 08:34 PM
I'd suggest the following:

If you haven't done so already post your logs:
http://www.displaylink.com/support/ticket.php?id=269
Also post the detailed system information output from the Windows info tool:
(Select Start, select Search programs and files, type in msinfo32.exe and hit Enter to locate it then Enter again to run it and save the output as a text file)

Also (to all those affected):

When did you first notice a lockup?
Was anything else connected to your dock at the time of the lockup? (USB peripherals? Ethernet?)
If so what make & model USB peripheral are they and what kind of ethernet is connected? 100Mb/GigE?

Does it happen without DisplayLink software installed?
Does it happen with DisplayLink software installed but the dock disconnected?

Do you have the latest BIOS installed?
Do you have the latest graphics drivers installed?

What Windows updates have recently been installed on your system?

As the guy mentions the only way to really progress this is to get a failing system to DisplayLink so they can debug it when it does fail.
Any volunteers?

skynerd
09-14-2011, 01:58 PM
Ive rolled my driver back to 5.6; will let you know results.

thanks.

I rolled my driver back to 5.5 (rather than 5.6); I did encounter one problem with the system simply becoming unstable, but did not encounter the freezes that I was experiencing.

I have now removed all DisplayLink software. Im using an HDMI cable to connect my monitor. My monitor connects directly to my computer, and not through the dock, although I am using the HP dock for other connections.

skynerd
09-14-2011, 03:16 PM
I rolled my driver back to 5.5 (rather than 5.6); I did encounter one problem with the system simply becoming unstable, but did not encounter the freezes that I was experiencing.

I have now removed all DisplayLink software. Im using an HDMI cable to connect my monitor. My monitor connects directly to my computer, and not through the dock, although I am using the HP dock for other connections.

I encountered the freeze with the DisplayLink software removed; in viewing device manager, there is a lisitng under Other Devices for an Adriatic USB Dock, which I have now disabled (no drivers for the dock are listed).

nydamon
09-14-2011, 05:39 PM
I also rolled my driver back to 5.5. Crash happened 2 hours in

No good.

jimAH
09-16-2011, 11:44 AM
Apart from as previously mentioned attaching the logs I'd recommend you:

Attach a list of all running processes on your computer (run this from a command prompt wmic process get description,executablepath).

What is your current power plan (listed under Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options)?

List what exactly is attached to your dock when the system freezes.

Try resetting the BIOS to it's default settings and see if it still happens.

Wim
09-21-2011, 09:48 AM
I encountered the freeze with the DisplayLink software removed; in viewing device manager, there is a lisitng under Other Devices for an Adriatic USB Dock, which I have now disabled (no drivers for the dock are listed).

That is interesting, and makes it even more important as to what hardware users are using. As far as I am aware, and no-one has stated differently, this is all occurring with the HP Media Docking station.

If the DisplayLink software is not installed (ie no DisplayLink Core Software in Control panel-> programs) and the PC is still freezing, then it becomes less likely to be DisplayLink software issue. There are also audio and Ethernet drivers for the devices on this dock, but they are not provided by DisplayLink. We only provide the video output on this dock.

Could you also try disabling the Ethernet and audio to try and work out what component is causing the freezing?

Thanks

Wim

skynerd
09-21-2011, 08:39 PM
That is interesting, and makes it even more important as to what hardware users are using. As far as I am aware, and no-one has stated differently, this is all occurring with the HP Media Docking station.

If the DisplayLink software is not installed (ie no DisplayLink Core Software in Control panel-> programs) and the PC is still freezing, then it becomes less likely to be DisplayLink software issue. There are also audio and Ethernet drivers for the devices on this dock, but they are not provided by DisplayLink. We only provide the video output on this dock.

Could you also try disabling the Ethernet and audio to try and work out what component is causing the freezing?

Thanks

Wim

My computer froze twice today, with the DisplayLink core software NOT installed and the dock disabled.

I have now reinstalled the DisplayLink Core Software and enabled the dock, but DISABLED the audio driver (HP Media Port Rep Audio). I'll report back in a few days.

Stan Kynerd

skynerd
09-21-2011, 11:27 PM
My computer froze twice today, with the DisplayLink core software NOT installed and the dock disabled.

I have now reinstalled the DisplayLink Core Software and enabled the dock, but DISABLED the audio driver (HP Media Port Rep Audio). I'll report back in a few days.

Stan Kynerd

Used configuaration above all afternoon and no freeze; couldnt stand waiting, so I uninstalled the current driver HP uses for the dock (Conexant version 1.29.8.0/HP USB Media Port Rep Audo), and installed the previous USB audio driver (1.25.00A); will report back when something becomes evident (either a freeze or no freeze after several days).

Stan Kynerd

Wim
09-25-2011, 04:11 AM
Thanks skynerd. Please let us know if there is any update. It would have been good to find the cause of the issue.

Could other users with the issue try the same change with the audio drivers and see if it solves the issue?

Thanks

Wim

skynerd
09-26-2011, 11:16 PM
Thanks skynerd. Please let us know if there is any update. It would have been good to find the cause of the issue.

Could other users with the issue try the same change with the audio drivers and see if it solves the issue?

Thanks

Wim

As noted I rolled my USB audio driver back to 1.25.00A; I am happy to report that since I rolled my audio driver back, my computer has NOT frozen (I DO have Display Link Driver 5.6.31854.0 installed and enabled).

At least for my system, the problem appears to have been the audio driver and not the Display Link Driver.

Wim: thanks for staying with us on this issue.

Stan

ahatton
09-29-2011, 10:35 PM
Hi.
We have also had the "Freezing" HP Displaylink Dock issue.
We have HP 5330M i5 Processor. This is the HP model running Beats Audio.
The dock we are using is the HP AY052ET#AC3
This doesn't have audio. We have the dock set-up to passthrough Ethernet, Display, Mouse and Keyboard (in other words, the standard set-up)
We have found that switching off Aero Transparency seems to make a difference to the freezing in IE.
Please can display link advise on what the situation is regarding the stability of this product and the best (most stable drivers) we should be using.
thanks.
Andy

Wim
09-30-2011, 11:03 AM
Hi.
We have also had the "Freezing" HP Displaylink Dock issue.
We have HP 5330M i5 Processor. This is the HP model running Beats Audio.
The dock we are using is the HP AY052ET#AC3
This doesn't have audio. We have the dock set-up to passthrough Ethernet, Display, Mouse and Keyboard (in other words, the standard set-up)
We have found that switching off Aero Transparency seems to make a difference to the freezing in IE.
Please can display link advise on what the situation is regarding the stability of this product and the best (most stable drivers) we should be using.
thanks.
Andy

Do you actually have the same problem on this thread of the whole laptop freezing, or just the screen attached to the dock?

This thread is about the whole system freezing. If it is different to this problem, please raise a new thread, with details about your system, having tried v5.6 M1 and v6.0 software to see if they solve the issue.

Wim

IT helper
10-03-2011, 11:00 PM
Laptops (3) are HP dv7

USB Media Docking Stations with the latest drivers from HP

Laptops freeze several times a day. Disconnect the docking station and the laptops work fine.

Has there been any resolution to this issue? I am getting ready to ship all three docks back to HP without a clear resolution.

R

Wim
10-05-2011, 10:12 AM
Laptops (3) are HP dv7

USB Media Docking Stations with the latest drivers from HP

Laptops freeze several times a day. Disconnect the docking station and the laptops work fine.

Has there been any resolution to this issue? I am getting ready to ship all three docks back to HP without a clear resolution.

R

Have you tried rolling back the audio drivers as stated in post 46? The audio drivers are not provided by DisplayLink, so this should be raised with HP directly.

Thanks

Wim

IT helper
10-06-2011, 04:14 PM
Two of the Port Replicators VY847AA#ABA
are attached to the audio base. They have been rolled back with no good results.

The third one has no audio nor has the driver been installed. Still freezing.

I have two tech case numbers in HP and the case manger has now said he has finally received two more cases. They are only offering refunds no fixes.

I attempted to duplicate with one of the replicators and all the drivers installed on my HP 8000 Elite. Nuts, worked fine. Seems to be only the laptops.

IT helper
10-11-2011, 05:30 PM
Anyone had any update on this situation? It is pointing at the Display Link software and I would like to hear that They and working with HP.

Wim
10-12-2011, 01:33 PM
Anyone had any update on this situation? It is pointing at the Display Link software and I would like to hear that They and working with HP.

We have contacted HP about the audio driver, as this is not provided by DisplayLink.

I'm assuming that if you uninstall the DisplayLink software and connect the dock, the freezing no longer occurs? Is that correct?

If this is the case, could you post the logs from one of your freezing systems to see if we can see anything unusual? Also, could you try v6.0 M1 which has just been released on the DisplayLink website.

Thanks

Wim

IT helper
10-19-2011, 11:35 PM
The port replicators are VY847AA#ABA. All four the same.

The laptops are all Product Number QB648AV. Known as a dv7.

The drivers are sp46708 NIC
Sp52656 Audio
Sp52243 Video

Configurations at this time:
1. Not docked. Works fine. All drivers installed
2. Docked. Using NIC and Audio. Video driver uninstalled
3. Docked. NIC and Video driver installed. Dual monitor
4. Docked. NIC only. No other drivers

None of the laptops appear to be having issues with only the NC installed.
Any laptop with the video driver for the Display link locks up randomly during the day. This forces a hard shutdown of the system and our executives are losing work product. No a good thing.

If any laptop locks up and is removed from the port replicator the laptop will work fine for days off the dock.

I have installed all the drivers on my HP Elite 8000 and ran everything through the port replicators. No errors and no lockups. I only see failures with the dv7. I do not have a spare laptop from HP to test anther version.

I did go backward on one of the laptops to a previous driver and the results were the same. Uninstalled the old driver and all drivers are the latest on HP’s site.

I was contacted by HP engineering and we are hoping to continue troubleshooting this issue for a quick resolution. My Execs are not feeling good about me using them as test subjects. :)

Wim
10-20-2011, 12:47 PM
Hi Rick

I understand your execs not wanting to be test subjects. We have that problem here :-)

Just to be clear, with configuration 2 (Docked. Using NIC and Audio. Video driver uninstalled) the laptop did NOT lock up?

Have you tried v6.0 M1 from the DisplayLink website to see if this makes a difference? Are there any particular applications they are using at the time that cause this?

Thanks

Wim

nydamon
11-01-2011, 01:03 PM
Has there been any updates on this?

The problem was brought to this forum 5 months ago, and as far as I can tell, there is no resolution, and HP is still selling non-working product.

Any news here?

Wim
11-02-2011, 09:22 AM
Has there been any updates on this?

The problem was brought to this forum 5 months ago, and as far as I can tell, there is no resolution, and HP is still selling non-working product.

Any news here?

There has been a resolution from one user finding it was down to the latest audio drivers from HP for the dock (not a component provided by DisplayLink). See post 46.

We have tried to reproduce this, but cannot - even on the same PC systems quoted here. We are reasonably sure that this is not directly related to DisplayLink software, but other components and drivers needed for the dock provided by HP. I think HP support are in the best position to try and reproduce this and find the offending driver component.

Thanks

Wim

BradleyBrad
11-10-2011, 04:59 PM
We are experiencing the freeze however all we have to do is unplug and reconnect the hub power supply and the system is back where it was. The actual laptop is not freezing. Please advise if there's a fix for this. It looks like this has been a reported problem for quite some time.

Wim
11-11-2011, 03:43 PM
We are experiencing the freeze however all we have to do is unplug and reconnect the hub power supply and the system is back where it was. The actual laptop is not freezing. Please advise if there's a fix for this. It looks like this has been a reported problem for quite some time.

Yes, this is a completely different problem that should be solved in v5.6 software or later. Please open a new thread if you have freezing with v6.0 M1

Thanks

Wim

IT helper
11-15-2011, 03:10 PM
Wim,

The laptops (2) with the version 6 from Display Link are still exhibiting the same issues. As you can see from my posts I have almost every configuration with aduio, video and NIC. The problems persist.

Worse yet, I have one laptop and setup that is IDENTICAL to all the others with NO errors. Go figure. It is running all the original drivers with no updates.

I think this is a HP problem but still waiting for them to fix the docks.

louis
12-19-2011, 01:36 PM
Question to all - did anyone setup the laptops with an image or do you experience the issue with the OEM installed systems as well?

boskensp
02-21-2012, 05:13 PM
I see this problem is not followed up yet. I have the same problems using an 5320 i5 HP laptop and the docking S02X. Sometimes my notebook freezes. I can solve it very quicly by closing the lid of the notebook and open it back again. The notebook unfreezes and I can continue working ... not very good but on the other hand I have not a very big problem with it. However I have a HUGE problem with the blurring screen attached to the docking. It is really not amusing and very disturbing. I sometimes even have some medical issues because of it ...
Is it too much to ask to get a correct working device if you buy something?

grtz,
Peter

Cdalberg
04-12-2012, 09:23 AM
I have the exact same problem as boskensp.
This happens on almost 1/3 of all 46 USB docks we currently own.

As we only use our external display at the office, the laptop lid is usually closed, and when the screen freezes, it can be fixed by open and closing the laptop lid.
All out laptops are HP, but 6 different models. Most of them with Intel HD3000 display adaptor, but also some with ATI or NVidia graphics cards.

Almost every laptop have a Intel processor, but two of them have AMD processor, and they freezes more often than others.

Sincerely
Christian

I see this problem is not followed up yet. I have the same problems using an 5320 i5 HP laptop and the docking S02X. Sometimes my notebook freezes. I can solve it very quicly by closing the lid of the notebook and open it back again. The notebook unfreezes and I can continue working ... not very good but on the other hand I have not a very big problem with it. However I have a HUGE problem with the blurring screen attached to the docking. It is really not amusing and very disturbing. I sometimes even have some medical issues because of it ...
Is it too much to ask to get a correct working device if you buy something?

grtz,
Peter

Cdalberg
04-12-2012, 09:36 AM
This happens for me on both.

Question to all - did anyone setup the laptops with an image or do you experience the issue with the OEM installed systems as well?