PDA

View Full Version : HP ProBook 4310s Windows 7 Startup Issue

Jake@SustainIT
06-27-2011, 12:00 PM
Hi,

My technical director is having issues with his HP ProBook 4310s. He has recently installed Windows 7, which had no hitch at all - runs okay (when it wants to).

Nearly every single morning, when he starts his laptop up, and signs in (not a network sign in, but local) it hangs for around 10-15 minutes before it's completely responsive (and when it does become so, it's fine for the rest of the day).

I've done the usual - checked start-up services and applications, and I've disabled non-needed ones etc. I've re-installed the drivers etc.

I think it's the docking station he is using that's causing the problem - It's the HP DisplayLink USB Docking Station. He's running a monitor from his laptop itself, and all other connections from his Dock (Mouse, Keyboard, Network Connection, secondary monitor).

There has been some occasions when one screens acts unusally; a reboot of the HP Dock rectifies this. This morning, the laptop was doing the same thing - I asked him to reboot the dock and it seemed to work soon after he plugged it back in.

If I'm barking up the wrong tree with the dock, I want to know what other things I can check to see if it's something else affected the laptops startup.

Additional information:

A/V: Avast Free

Spyware: SpyWare Terminator (just Spyware scanning)

and all the usual business apps (Office 2007 etc etc).

If there is any other info you need, let me know.

Thanks,
Jake

Wim
06-27-2011, 03:25 PM
Hi

Not sure what could be wrong here. The first thing to check is that he has the latest graphics drivers installed for his primary display. You could try stopping the DisplayLinkManager service and see if that solves the problem, which would help narrow it down.

I assume you are using the latest DisplayLink software (v5.6 M1) and not v5.2, which I think HP ship with the dock?

Wim

Jake@SustainIT
06-27-2011, 03:36 PM
Hi Wim,

Thanks for the quick response, much appreciated.

I have installed the latest version of the drivers that you have mentioned (2 weeks ago I believe). I'll try the steps you've mentioned and get back to you.

I will definitely check that he has the newest graphics drivers for his laptop, as I know that it ties in heavily with DisplayLink's ways of operating.

Thanks again,

Jake

Edit: What would stopping the DisplayLinkManager Service actually do?

Jake@SustainIT
06-29-2011, 01:36 PM
Hi Wim,

I've checked his laptop, and he has the most up to date drivers for his graphics and the HP Dock. I've also tried stopping the DisplayLinkManager service, but all that does is stop the dock from working - which we need to work.

Is there anything else we can try?

Many Thanks,

Jake

Wim
06-30-2011, 09:55 AM
Hi

If you disable the DisplayLink service, then the display will not work, but does it start up any quicker? If not, then its unlikely that its directly related to DisplayLink.

Is it possible to open task manager while it is unresponsive and see if anything is using all the CPU/Memory during start up?

It might be a long shot, but is the BIOS up to date, as it may help memory timings.

Wim