PDA

View Full Version : Device Manager flashes, No Screen W7 64bit

Elbo
06-16-2011, 03:49 PM
We are not getting display on or DisplayLink. It will work initially, but will fail after the laptop has been used without the DisplayLink. We have tried three different DisplayLink devices on a Dell Vostro 3800, which has a late model Nvidia graphics chipset with latest drivers are on the system.

All three of the DisplayLink devices we have tried so far have the identical problem.

If you install the driver fresh, after removing the failed driver along with removing the service and all parts of it from registry it will work again.

You can reboot over and over, with no problems and the display works fine.

However if you take the laptop out of the office and boot it without the DisplayLink and then return to the office and plug in the DisplayLink again, you will get no screen, no LED, the service shows that it is running, The latest driver for DL is installed, when you go into device manager it shows, however it constantly refreshes the device manager screen while plugged in.

When I do get to the properties, The PID looks fine, not like it is stuck booting. This has been the same with three different models of DL devices, all exhibit the exact same behavior.

We have also changed the monitor on the device, and checked that all updates have been made to the Dell for all devices. We have also tried different USB ports on the system to no avai.

I've noticed that the majority of problems seem to be coming from Windows 7 64-bit users and not 32-bit users.

Attached is the Tool output.

Elbo
07-08-2011, 05:17 PM
no ideas? *bump*

Dan
07-09-2011, 04:36 PM
Hi Elbo,

From the logs I can see you are using one of our early products from around 5 years ago. While we do the best we can to maintain compatibility across the whole range of products that our customers have made with our technology, it's not easy to cover the entire matrix.

You may find that one of our earlier W7 release (e.g. 5.4) works better, you can download from here: http://www.displaylink.com/support/downloads_previous_releases.php

Can you post details of the other devices you have tried? The PIDS would be adequate, although a description would help too.

I hope you appreciate that the behaviour you are seeing is faulty and we don't ship software if it behaves like that in pre release testing! I think you are just unlucky and have hit an obscure combination, or else there may be a hardware fault.