PDA

View Full Version : Animated / Moving content stall / freeze

OpenFasciata
05-29-2011, 09:23 AM
Hi,

I've got a lilliput UM-70 USB monitor.
Tried many things, but come to the conclusion that it's likely to be a displaylink driver problem. (although influenced by external apps i.e. windows updates/perhaps usb sticks usage)

( reference original forum posts: mp3car forum )
( Strange Screen Corruption on Lilliput UM-70T )

==========
Hey I have exactly the same issue / problem with my um-70

When I bought it, it never showed anything moving (video - youtube - flash - winamp - ..)
But when I did place window over it (while dragging around - holding with mouse),
then it did show the video.
So I always knew the display is capable of displaying video, nevertheless there is some sort of refreshing - layer - priority problem.

Nothing solved the issue.

I now made a fresh install of windows 7 64bit (same as before) and it worked!
For 2 days.... however.

No today I have the same problem again, I didn't (intentionally) change any configuration or installation as far as I know.
So I expect some kind of driver - windows update might have killed it.

I experience this problem with every moving video type content.
Youtube and Winamp.

If it is lack of resources, there is no hardware difference in USB devices since yesterday.
But I did tried a USB stick yesterday now I think of it.
And that stick didn't function,...
I have to digg into this.

So yes there might be some windows registration issue or so?

What settings do we need on windows registry? (what does influence the device?)
Or any other suggetsions? The total capacity of USB devices isn't really logic, since these didn't change and it worked before. And at my last installation it never worked (unless like described with floating windows over it or with the mouse over parts).

Any advice - help is welcome.
:)
QUOTE END
==========

==========
I do not use aero at all.
I use optimized setting for performance.
Windows classic + solid black as background.

hardware:
i7 920 12gb
asrock x58 deluxe
nvidia gtx275

Since I had it working for a small period of time when I freshly installed windows 7 64bit,
I suspect that usb stick screwed a setting over (maybe in windows registry?)
Or else an windows update killes the priorities or such (layers - windows priorities).

When I use winamp video stream, I drga the window from main monitor to lilliput um-70,
the video stalls at current frame.
When I drag back to main monitor, it simply plays as should.
image example when I drag an other window half over the video player screen, then the video starts playing. But as soon as I drag the other (explorer in this case) window away, so it's no longer on top of the video, it stops playing.

Printscreen looks like this, when other window is dragged over the video, it plays.
[[ for the image see original mp3car forum, can't post images here ]]

When I now drag over an firefox window, with the lilliput review video on it.
(for reference:)
youtube video: Jx6G2k1R6Hg
And maximize this window to full screen, while the winamp video stream is still playing (yet still stalling), then you get the idea,.. (see next printscreen)

As you see everythign gets scrambled, all sorts of window-layers, which are stalling.
At the bottom the firefox window is still not maximized, and you see the winamp bar on the right.
while on top, firefox is maximized, but inside firefox, winamp video is prioritized and shows above the website content, while the video on youtube (blue) itself is prioritized over the winamp videostream.

Now if I drag the firefox - youtube window back to the other monitor, this is what is left behind:
(the video should still play, but is stalled - and youtube video is still over the winamp video stream window)

My conclusion so far:
some content get prioritized above others (layers - windows);
some content doesn't get refreshed, based on this priority "setting";
the usb is capable of showing the content, else it wouldn't show smoothly when dragging an other window half over it, also when the problem didn't occur, it does work fluently.
It's not hardware, but software related.

A setting somewhere messes up the prioritizing of the content.

(in my case it looks like driver updates - windows registry might be involved)

removing + reinstalling the display doesn't seem to work, so might be windows realated (registry - windows updates), or some setting somewhere which gets left behind after completely removing the monitor by uninstalling and removing from windows devices list..

I hope the developers gets this info, because this should be enough to point them into the right diretcion.

I hope this gets sorted. :confused:
QUOTE END
==========

I 've tried a.o.:
*] installing - reinstalling nvidia drivers

*] installing - reinstalling DisplayLink USB Graphics Windows Driver 5.6 M1
Release Date: 18 April 2011

*] removing the windows registry record of usb devices
wikihow com Clear-the-Record-of-USB-Plug-in-Equipment

*] Reinstallation of windows 64 solved the problem temporarily,
but then after a few windows updates (and usage of usb stick?) the monitor no longer works..
Same before on windows (although never used any usb stick by then - so might be coincidental - just try to remember and guess anything related)

My conclusion so far is as stated before:
a priority - addressing issue with the layers - windows. (video content is usaually forced to front - top -- while it does seem to work when somthing else is partially dragged over it -- but stalls again when the window above it is stopped dragging - released - moved)

OpenFasciata
05-29-2011, 09:25 AM
New attempt to get some links working:
The forum wherefrom I quoted:
http://www.mp3car.com/lcd-display/147862-strange-screen-corruption-on-lilliput-um-70t.html

Image 1]
http://imageshack.us/m/641/6594/lilliputum70dragoverwin.png

Image 2]
http://imageshack.us/m/812/9997/lilliputum70youtubescre.png

Image 3]
http://imageshack.us/m/593/9997/lilliputum70youtubescre.png

Youtube video used (for recognition of colors and build up)
video ID: Jx6G2k1R6Hg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jx6G2k1R6Hg

OpenFasciata
05-31-2011, 10:08 AM
I made a full new windows 7 64bit reinstallation.
Just to get info for the monitor driver with the debug tool.

I notice even while I set optimize video "on" the "System_Details"
states it is off. But I do see a difference when it's on or off.
(off nothing changes when I move cursor above video window, while with video optimized the cursor leaves a sort of "drag tail" changing pixels around the cursor.

Either I attach the debug info.

And again, while installing, somewhere in begining it was ok (with driver of windows update, which was older).
Then after a windows update and/or after the java runtime (jre-6u25-windows-x64) installation (for libreoffice),
it stopped displaying the video streams.

I then tried uninstalling both java and libreoffcie, no result.
and then I removed the displaylink software from windows update, of course went to black screen.
restart + new installation of latest drivers manually,.. and then ran the debug as attached.

OpenFasciata
06-04-2011, 12:47 PM
info from other topic:

Hi

You're using Windows basic mode, so you are seeing the same symptoms as the people in this thread:

http://displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=638

Switch to aero and it should solve it.

Wim

Great!
Thanks for pointing this out Wim.
I tested with aero switched on, the problem's no longer show. :)

This work around shows that the monitor/drivers are indeed capable of displaying the content as intended.
But this work around kinda defeats the reason of using this monitor in the first place, doesn't it? ;)

Using these USB monitors for the sole purpose of not having additional load on the graphics card and no additional load on the system as a whole,.. aero needs to stay switched off. (other OS's don't have aero either: mac / linux)

Sadly it doesn't solve the problem for me, but I bet many others will all ready be very happy with this result. (But then again, those probably won;t experience this problem, since they already have aero switched on, since they obviously didn't care to switch aero off in the first place). :)

@ Wim: thanks for pointing to this aero problem!
@ dev's: Please try to fix this aero problem, thank you!

OpenFasciata
07-01-2011, 02:21 PM
I've tried WIndows with Aero on now for quite some time,..

but it introduces a lot of problems with many applications and is way too resource intensive.
And that's even beside the fact that Aero's graphics do not fit high-end/professional requirements for imaging/visualizations etc.
(it can't be used for certain situations)

So using Aero introduces many problems, bugs and is resource intensive.
Without Aero, there is no USB monitor.

Choice is easy: no Aero and thus no USB monitor.
But that still sucks.

Please fix this long known Aero bug!