PDA

View Full Version : Toshiba 14-inch USB Mobile LCD Monitor - MAC

matt.plant@gmail.com
04-21-2011, 06:58 AM
Hi, I was considering buying the Toshiba mobile monitor until I noticed that it didn't support MAC.

I see that displaylink does provide some MAC support though. Has anyone tried hooking this up to a Macbook Pro? I'm run OS level 10.6.7.

Thanks for any help on this!

Matt

Carlo
04-25-2011, 11:24 PM
I tried a prototype on a recent MBP and it was working just fine even if powered by a single USB. Can't guarantee the shipping product will work but it should.

ro050408
05-06-2011, 07:32 PM
I purchased the Toshiba 14" USB monitor, even though I use Macs which Toshiba says are not compatible, based on the comment on this thread from Carlo. I installed the latest Displaylink drivers from this website first.

I am happy to report the screen works perfectly on both my Macbook Pro i7 (2010) and Macbook Air (2010)!

Since the screen is powered by USB, I was expecting it to be nowhere near bright due to the power limitations. I am stunned at how bright it actually is. There is no need to purchase the external AC adaptor that apparently doubles the brightness IMHO.

mike d
06-02-2011, 01:46 AM
hi folks. you may have an idea for me. in australia [backwoods of the earth] we do not have an importer of the new 14' toshiba usb,
i need two points clarified ; am i able to run two screens off the laptop together and am i able to find a supplier to send them across to aussie.

mike dunningham.

mikedunningham@gmail.com

thanks

geoffcaplan
06-18-2011, 02:51 PM
I can not recommend the use of DisplayLink drivers for the Toshiba portable monitor to use with a Mac at this time. I got it to work for a short time, and now it does not work at all. The monitor light does even go into standby mode. In view of this, I regret buying the Toshiba display, but will continue to check and see if future drivers might work.

Carlo
06-19-2011, 10:27 AM
Likely it's a power problem, on some Macs I couldn't make it work even with two USB connectors. On the latest MBP however one USB connection was sufficient. I'd try with an external -powered- hub in between. If the light does not come up the driver cannot even detect the device let alone... drive it!

geoffcaplan
06-19-2011, 05:20 PM
I tried it with an external, powered USB hub but my test wasn't valid because the hub is apparently defective. It has caused problems with 2 different Macs and now my more immediate priority is to try to get the USB ports working again on my MBP; it did not recover yet from the problem with the hub.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.

owenmead
07-18-2011, 06:36 PM
Anyone have any other experience with this? If it is a power issue could it simply be solved by using the AC adaptor? I've got a nearly brand new MBP and I think it puts out proper amount of USB power.

Thanks,
~Owen

owenmead
09-02-2011, 09:44 PM
I took the plunge and yesterday just unboxed two of these mobile monitors. Hooking them up to both an i7 Macbook Pro as well as an older DualCore MacBook (not pro) it worked wonderfully.

Currently using the beta drivers 1.7b3 found here:
http://displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1002

The screens work great. And to answer the other question you can have two plugged into and working from the same computer.

Although I did purchase the power adapter for both in case power was a problem, from both laptops there is enough power just from a single USB plug to run the monitor just fine.

So if you are considering the Toshiba Portable monitor for a mac, I'd say go for it. My wife and I who will be taking a year long work trip love them!

carrie.lundell
12-18-2012, 02:46 AM
I just installed the drivers that were posted and they made the monitor light up but that's it. Does any one know if there are new beta drivers? I am running 10.8.2.

Any help is appreciated

Thanks