PDA

View Full Version : Win 7 x64 SP1 Nvidia NVS 3100M monitor sleep problem

spongerX
04-12-2011, 05:56 PM
I'm having a problem with my Dell e6410 notebook running Win 7 x64 SP1 and an Nvidia NVS 3100M video card with an EVGA UV+ 16 Displaylink external adatpter.

Whenever my monitors go to sleep my primary (notebook) display doesn't power back on. The 2 external monitors I have connected wake up sort of ok if the notebook has recently put the monitors to sleep. I have to press CtrlAltDel to get the main display back on if the monitors have only recently powered off. If the monitors have been in sleep mode for a while the displays just flicker briefly and nothing is displayed on any of them.

Either unplugging the USB cable from the UV+ briefly and reconnecting or putting the notebook into sleep mode and then resuming from sleep allows the laptop display to turn on again.

This happens with my e6410 docked and the UV+ connected to a USB port on the Dell docking station or if the UV+ is connected directly to the notebook.

I've tried completely uninstalling all Displaylink and Nvidia drivers and reinstalling clean and am currently running Nvidia 267.76 and Displaylink graphics driver 5.6.31548.0.

For power settings on AC (docked) I have maximum performance for everything with no sleep/hibernate. The only timer I have set is to put the monitors to sleep after x minutes.

I used to use this Displaylink powered UV+ with a Lenovo notebook and AMD video card with no issues but have run into this problem after switching to an Nvidia powered notebook.

Is there any fix for this other than leaving my monitors on all the time?

iolaus
04-21-2011, 09:41 PM
I am experiencing nearly the same issue with my Dell Latitude E6510 w/ Nvidia NVS 3100M under Windows 7 x64. It's driving me nuts, makes using my docked laptop a huge PITA.

Here is a description of what I'm seeing:

Monitors go into power saving mode (according to "Turn off the display" setting in Windows power management).
I move the mouse or tap the keyboard to turn the displays back on.
One of the two monitors attached to my docking station via DVI as well as my DisplayLink monitor turn back on.
The 2nd of the two monitors attached to my docking station via DVI doesn't turn back on (and LED indicates it is still in power saving mode)
In this state I can move the mouse cursor around the two monitors that are on but can not click anything.

If I hit CTRL+ALT+DELETE the monitor still in power saving mode will turn on and display the appropriate Windows menu.

If I choose Cancel from the menu I am returned to all black screens with a mouse cursor.

I have left the computer in this state for some time and the graphics never seem to return.

If I choose Lock Computer from the menu I am returned to the login screen and can log on again which produces all black screens with a mouse cursor.

Some times after a minute or so the graphics and mouse seem to return.

If I unplug the DisplayLink from the docking station's USB port the two physically connected displays both turn on and the mouse works.

I would be happy to provide logs or help with testing if it might lead to this issue being resolved.

spongerX
04-21-2011, 10:13 PM
To add to this I've tried Dell Nvidia drivers, Nvidia official drivers and am on the newest Nvidia drivers (270.61 for notebook) with only the graphics drivers installed. I've tried Displaylink versions 5.4, 5.4 and 5.6 with the same results each time.

What makes it even more annoying is that with the Displaylink drivers installed but the Displaylink adapter disconnected and the e6410 undocked I still get issues when the laptop display turns off and I can't get the display back on until I put the e6410 in standby and then remove from standby. Once I remove the Displaylink drivers the issues go away.

iolaus
04-21-2011, 10:23 PM
And since the "Ask a Question" page redirected me to a blank page with no confirmation (after I figured out the bogus javascript regexp doesn't allow capital letters in an e-mail address) I'll post the data from the DisplayLink Debugger here.

jgstew
05-31-2011, 08:47 PM
I'm having the same issue on a Dell E6510 with NVS 3100M with latest DisplayLink Drivers and Latest NVidia Drivers. I have to hit CTRL+ALT+DELETE and then hit cancel and then my laptop monitor comes back on, otherwise it will stay black.

spongerX
06-04-2011, 08:45 PM
I'm having good results so far with Nvidia's newest drivers (275.33) released this week and Displaylink drivers released April 18 (5.6.31870). The Nvidia drivers need to be downloaded from Nvidia.com rather than Dell.

I've only done one reboot after installing the new Nvidia drivers but so far I can wake up all my screens using the mouse if my Dell 6410 is docked or undocked on battery.

Will update next week when I've spent more time working docked.

spongerX
06-07-2011, 01:55 PM
The drivers I posted above continue to work well with my docking station and Displaylink powered UV Plus+ 16. I can wake up my monitors by moving my mouse again and when I'm undocked I don't have to use ctrl-alt-del to wake up my laptop display anymore.

alfa
06-09-2011, 06:22 PM
I have compatibility problem between the card and nvidia gtx480 display software links I tried your suggestions to solve, but I did not succeed, here are the debug files to examine megliuo my problem

saluti MICHEL

KaxyotiK
08-14-2011, 02:23 AM
Seeing similar behavior, E6410 Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit.

Will try latest Nvidia driver.

KaxyotiK
08-15-2011, 02:22 PM
Newest driver from Nvidia, result:

a) wake up monitor from idle time out fixed
b) system reboots without prompt when undocked

Newest driver from Dell (Video), result:

a) wake up monitor from idle time out issues (as described above, have to control/alt/delete and fidget to resume)
b) system docks/undocks without a problem

KaxyotiK
08-15-2011, 02:23 PM
Is it just me, or do these drive feel as if they are in permanent beta?

KaxyotiK
08-15-2011, 02:57 PM
Fingers crossed,

Believe I've solved it-

With the newest nvidia drivers, I uninstalled all Nvidia programs except for the display driver and audio HD driver.