PDA

View Full Version : M1 MBA - no video in standalone browser windows

kevincahillri
06-09-2022, 08:29 PM
Recently bought the Anker 563 USB-C, and installed it without challenge. It runs my M1 MBA native and two external Dell U2417H monitors.*One is HDMI, one Display Port

Video will not be visible running on YouTube TV, Netflx, Hulu, or Apple TV - you get video previews, full sound, but no video. I have these applications running in Chrome as stand-alone windows. None are 4k video.*

If I disconnect one Dell, video appears.*

YouTube itself runs perfectly, but running in a browser.*

Behavior is the same if I switch Display Port to a 2nd HDMI

Thoughts?*

thanks,*
Kevin

migmaxwe
06-09-2022, 08:52 PM
I'm having the same issue. The problem is the new copyright protection rules. DiplayLink apparently doesn't support playing HDCP content. Here's where I found that information: https://kb.plugable.com/displaylink/is-the-playback-of-copy-protected-or-encrypted-video-content-supported-while-using-my-displaylink-based-product

rboerner
06-10-2022, 11:23 AM
Recently bought the Anker 563 USB-C, and installed it without challenge. It runs my M1 MBA native and two external Dell U2417H monitors.*One is HDMI, one Display Port

Video will not be visible running on YouTube TV, Netflx, Hulu, or Apple TV - you get video previews, full sound, but no video. I have these applications running in Chrome as stand-alone windows. None are 4k video.*

If I disconnect one Dell, video appears.*

YouTube itself runs perfectly, but running in a browser.*

Behavior is the same if I switch Display Port to a 2nd HDMI

Thoughts?*

thanks,*
Kevin

Others within this forum have reported that:

A. Disabling the 'Use hardware acceleration when available' option within the Chrome browser's 'Settings' --> 'Advanced' --> 'System' menu

or

B. Using the Firefox browser

Can workaround the behavior described by the original poster.

kevincahillri
06-21-2022, 03:47 PM
Thanks! I've been working with Anker support on this in parallel. They identified the issue with the HDCP above, and I'll give the the two suggestions proposed above a shot.

Appreciate the help, and I'll let you know the results.

kc

kevincahillri
06-21-2022, 03:52 PM
That was quick.

Disabling hardware acceleration in the browser worked perfectly on YTTV, Netflix, Hulu.

For the record, I didn't try the Firefox solution, as the first option worked, so haven't verified it. Will keep in my back pocket.

thanks again!

kc