PDA

View Full Version : After 1.6.1 install, video for Prime & Netflix does not work

gkelway
03-31-2022, 09:27 AM
Yesterday I installed DisplayLink 1.6.1. Now when I am playing video from my external screens for Netflix and Prime, I hear the audio, but video is black. Video does work on my Macbook M1 screen. I uninstalled back to 1.6 but still having the same issue. Has anyone else had this problem? Thanks!

rboerner
03-31-2022, 11:10 AM
Yesterday I installed DisplayLink 1.6.1. Now when I am playing video from my external screens for Netflix and Prime, I hear the audio, but video is black. Video does work on my Macbook M1 screen. I uninstalled back to 1.6 but still having the same issue. Has anyone else had this problem? Thanks!

The behavior you describe is a known limitation of macOS. DisplayLink has more information here --> https://support.displaylink.com/knowledgebase/articles/830301-content-protected-video-does-not-play-on-mac-while

This topic is also covered in the release notes --> https://www.synaptics.com/sites/default/files/release_notes/2022-02/DisplayLink%20Manager%20Graphics%20Connectivity1.6 .1-Release%20Notes.txt

"G. Operating system limitations
================================

Protected content from iTunes and other players is not visible on built-in graphics when DisplayLink screens are connected. (17087)"

gkelway
03-31-2022, 11:30 AM
It's strange that I have never had this issue before (except the AppleTV app). Every other video service (Netflix, Prime, Disney+) has always work for the last couple of years.

lswote
04-01-2022, 02:35 AM
I have had my Mac-Mini running Display Link for almost 2 years with no problems and suddenly Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu and HBO Max will not show video while my monitor running via Display Link is plugged in. Has anyone gotten wind of a fix?

DLK
04-01-2022, 05:42 AM
I have had my Mac-Mini running Display Link for almost 2 years with no problems and suddenly Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu and HBO Max will not show video while my monitor running via Display Link is plugged in. Has anyone gotten wind of a fix?

Same here.
Have not found a fix yet without not using the DisplayLink part of my setup, and going back to using a single external monitor.

And Optus Sport (Australia).

Was working fine on MacBook Air M1 2020 until today, which happened to coincide with the Apple Mac OS 12.3.1 update (updated from 12.3 to 12.3.1 this morning)

However, I tested the same setup with a different MacBook Air M1 2020 that was still on 12.3 and had the same issues whilst using the DisplayLink setup on my DisplayLink/Port compatible docking station with 2 DisplayLink/Port connected monitors.

I note that Chrome Browser also updated in the last 24 hours.

Netflix, Prime Video and Optus Sport work fine today when not using the DisplayLink setup.

Have been on the latest version of DisplayLink 1.6.1 for some time now.

Note: Apple TV+ has never worked with DisplayLink. No known workaround.

gkelway
04-01-2022, 08:11 AM
I just tried using the Opera Browser and Netflix, Prime & Disney+ are working (for the moment anyways).

DLK
04-01-2022, 09:39 AM
I just tried using the Opera Browser and Netflix, Prime & Disney+ are working (for the moment anyways).

I just tried using Firefox (instead of Chrome or Safari)
Firefox worked for Netflix, Prime and Optus Sport (Australia).

gkelway
04-01-2022, 11:56 AM
Thats great! Hopefully our mentioning this in the DisplayLink forum will not cause something to change. :)

lswote
04-01-2022, 02:57 PM
Thanks for mentioning Opera. I just tried it and it works for Netflix, HBO Max, Amazon Prime and Hulu.

Neither Chrome, Firefox or Safari work any longer on my 2018 version Mac Mini.

DLK
04-02-2022, 05:03 AM
Thanks for mentioning Opera. I just tried it and it works for Netflix, HBO Max, Amazon Prime and Hulu.

Neither Chrome, Firefox or Safari work any longer on my 2018 version Mac Mini.

Macbook Air M1 2020: MacOS12.3.1
Firefox is still working for me with Netflix, Amazon Prime and Optus Sport (Australia).
(The only streaming platforms I currently subscribe to and have tested)

Will go and test on the iMac 27 (Late 2014) sometime this weekend.

Grönis
04-03-2022, 11:43 AM
i have the same problem, have contolled all my fhings and nothing works in webbroser now, have been working flawless for long time nog and now this :(

amazone prime - black screen
netflix - black screen
viaplay - black screen
Cmore - black screen
Hbo max - black screen

i have tried chrome and safari so far and same problem.

but if i remote the adaptor evryfing start to work as usal.

sontipheap
04-07-2022, 06:57 PM
This issue happened to me this week too all of a sudden. I have a suspicion it has to do with MacOS update. I had no issues switching to a Window machine.

GlennyKravitz
04-07-2022, 09:21 PM
I also have had the same experience after updating to OSX 12.3.1 In Safari and Chrome, the video on streaming services shows up as a black windows on either the extended monitors or the main MacBook screen

However...

It works without issue in Firefox. There is a setting within Firefox that allows the playing of DRM-controlled content, which is enabled by default. Video plays on both extended monitors and the MacBook main screen without issue.

Jemand
04-08-2022, 03:31 PM
For me this worked: Go into Chrome Settings. Search for "hardware". Disable "Use hardware acceleration when available" and restart chrome. Netflix and Amazon Prime Video have images again.

Grönis
04-08-2022, 05:22 PM
For me this worked: Go into Chrome Settings. Search for "hardware". Disable "Use hardware acceleration when available" and restart chrome. Netflix and Amazon Prime Video have images again.

niiiicccee it did work for me to!!! THANKS!

mdiorio
04-08-2022, 07:15 PM
So I have this problem when the Laptop screen is the primary and I move an app (in my case an app built in Unity) to the external monitor. If the external monitor is the primary screen, it works fine on both displays.

acelefty
04-10-2022, 02:35 AM

Thank you! This "fix" let YoutubeTV work while connected to my DisplayLink dock again. Not sure what Apple did to break that functionality, but I bet there are a lot of upset YTTV users out there.

Ronot
04-11-2022, 11:53 AM
Thank you for finding a solution!

fabiorf
06-23-2022, 07:10 PM

Heyyyyy iLove you LOL:)

weslr
12-05-2022, 01:32 AM
I believe it is a security issue. the USB adapter I am using needs recording software. The streaming services don't know I'm not actually recording and shut me down. Once I disabled the USB adapter monitor all the streaming services worked properly.

xamispep
12-07-2022, 07:40 AM

Me too! Thanks @Jamand! MacOS 13.0.1 (Ventura)

ttsoldier
12-14-2022, 07:34 PM

Worked for me with my Macbook Air M1, 2020, Ventura 13.1 and Targus USB-C Dual 4K UHD (DV4K) Universal Docking Station with 100W Power (DOCK190)

Thank you so much!

P.S I use Edge as my main browser.