PDA

View Full Version : USB C cable

Dunk
03-22-2022, 09:55 AM
Hi - I have an issue with cables I don't understand.

MacBook Air M1, 2020 connecting to MB16AC (2017)

The USBC cable that came with the screen works great - but it is too short for a comfortable work layout. I have purchased several longer (3ft) USB Cables but none work.

They switch the monitor on (ASUS logo appears) but then the message 'DisplayPort NO SIGNAL' appears and the monitor goes into Standby.

The longer cables are all decent quality Anker ones. I have DisplayLink driver installed and updated.

Are USBC cables different? If so what longer type to I need to buy?

Really appreciate any thoughts.

rboerner
03-22-2022, 10:12 AM
Hi - I have an issue with cables I don't understand.

MacBook Air M1, 2020 connecting to MB16AC (2017)

The USBC cable that came with the screen works great - but it is too short for a comfortable work layout. I have purchased several longer (3ft) USB Cables but none work.

They switch the monitor on (ASUS logo appears) but then the message 'DisplayPort NO SIGNAL' appears and the monitor goes into Standby.

The longer cables are all decent quality Anker ones. I have DisplayLink driver installed and updated.

Are USBC cables different? If so what longer type to I need to buy?

Really appreciate any thoughts.

USB Type-C cables can vary in terms of their functionality. For example, some cables only support device charging (for example mobile phones).

You do not provide a link to the cables you have purchased, however I suspect that they may be 'charging only' cables.

The key terms to look for in the description of a USB Type-C cable is 'fully featured' or that the cable supports video output.

Dunk
03-27-2022, 09:09 AM
Hi rboerner

I really appreciate your reply, thank you. I didn't realise USB-C format had functionality types within it.

On closer inspection the one I ordered was advertised as suitable for charging. I have found one that is described as Thunderbolt 4 and specifies 8K video. Sounds like that should work.

My best wishes, Dunk