PDA

View Full Version : External Speakers and Monterey

082397ar
11-23-2021, 03:42 PM
I updated my Mac to Monterey and now my speakers that are plugged into my display link will not work without resetting my computer each time I plug them in.

mrgarth
11-23-2021, 04:28 PM
I have the same issue: 'usbaudio' appears as an available output option, but no sound comes from the headphone port on the DisplayLink device.
I am on a MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2020, Four Thunderbolt 3 ports), Intel processor, Monterey version 12.0.1.
I haven't pinpointed this yet, but the problem seems to arise when:

when the usb cable is unplugged from the Displaylink device and then reattached
possibly also when the output device is changed from within Chrome (audio settings for Google Meet calls) or Zoom (audio input/output controls) rather than changing the output device in System Preferences, but I'm not sure.
Things I have tried that do not work to solve the problem once audio stops playing through the DisplayLink device:

de-selecting and re-selecting 'usbaudio' for output from System Preferences > Sound > Output
de-selecting and re-selecting 'usbaudio' for output from the menu bar in the Finder. Sometimes usbaudio will disappear from the menu bar but still be visible in System Preferences.
selecting 'usbaudio' for output in Audio MIDI setup
unplugging and replugging the USB-C connection from the laptop to the Displaylink device
powering off and on again the Displaylink hub
quitting and restarting Displaylink Manager
resetting coreaudiod from Terminal

lapk
11-24-2021, 01:51 PM
I experience the same problems

-What makes it weird is that it may work sometimes (when it does the sound goes briefly to DP or hdmi before jack output)

-My unifying dongle is also affected (sometime not recognized)

-I have another Usbc dock (small) wich is working fine every time to output sound or unifying

Im still investigating, it is really weird, maybe it has to do with the fact that D6000 has only usb3

okneib
11-26-2021, 09:42 AM
Same issue here. MacBook pro 2020 (4 ports).

When I reboot with my dock (StarTech) connected audio is fine.

Marlowe
12-02-2021, 11:37 AM
Any more info on this issue? Its a pain as I use headphones for calls and I have to plug them into the laptop directly which is further away.

steraji
12-02-2021, 11:43 PM
I've been having a similar problem.

I have a MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019) running Monterey version 12.0.1
and this docking station https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0823BQ4PK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

I've been restarting the app where I experience the audio problem, and that's been working for me as a quick fix.

I just installed the DisplayLink Manager 1.5.0 and am curious to see if that makes a difference.
https://ca.qgeem.com/drivers

FYI - I don't normally shutdown or restart my MacBook. I just close the lid, and let it sleep (I suppose, like most people).

sfbaker
12-03-2021, 07:59 PM
Same problem here. Sound works through "Dell USB Audio" upon restart, but after sleeping then logging back in it no longer works.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2020, Four Thunderbolt 3 ports)
macOS Monterey 12.0.1

D6000
DisplayLink Manager 1.6.0 Beta

dew912
12-04-2021, 04:48 AM
Same, only restart fixes it for me. 2020 mbp with Dell d3100.

Seems to be related to unplugging the dock between restarts.

Fairly reliable if the laptop doesn't move from my desk.

zimo4321
12-05-2021, 10:55 PM
I have the same problem with my Mac after upgrading to Monterey.

MacBook Pro 2019, 16-inch with Intel Core i9

Jlodman
12-13-2021, 05:14 PM
I'm having the same problem. I know the speakers and the cabling are fine, I tested them. No audio is coming out of the brand new dock from the MacBook Pro 2019 at all though it does show up as usb audio in the sound system preferences.

g716
01-05-2022, 03:23 PM
I have a USB KVM (keyboard video mouse) switcher in front of my Display Link and I've been using this setup for a few years with multiple PCs. I just bought a new 2021 MPB with an M1 Max chip. "Dell USB Audio" shows up as an option for sound, but it only works if I reboot my Mac while it is the source on the KVM. The minute I unplug the Mac from the USB and plug it back in, or swap to another PC and back, the Dell audio stops working. It fails to work for both the front or back audio ports. I have a USB headset plugged into the Display Link that shows up as an audio device (Jabra headset). That headset works fine with audio from Mac while plugged into the DisplayLink regardless of whether the Mac has been unplugged and plugged back in or cycled on the KVM.

Not sure if the fix is Apple's to make or Dell's. Does anyone know if Dell/DisplayLink support monitors this forum?

clayq
01-05-2022, 10:24 PM
Same issues here on a Startech dock - just updated to Monterey 12.1 last night, going to see if the issue still occurs.

g716
01-08-2022, 05:10 PM
Same issues here on a Startech dock - just updated to Monterey 12.1 last night, going to see if the issue still occurs.

@clayq - please let use know if it helped.

g716
01-08-2022, 11:40 PM
@clayq - please let use know if it helped.

I just answered it myself. Upgraded to 12.1 Monterey MacOS and it doesn't change the behavior. Booting up with the Display Link attached works: sound can be directed successfully to Dell USB Audio. Disconnecting and reconnecting the Mac to the DisplayLink
will result in the sound not working through the DisplayLink.

HEmile
01-11-2022, 09:17 AM
Same problem, DisplayLink 1.6.0, Monterey 12.1 and on a 2019 Macbook Pro.

smbruijn
01-11-2022, 12:32 PM
Same problem, DisplayLink 1.6.0, Monterey 12.1 and on a 2018 Macbook Pro.

g716
01-12-2022, 05:39 AM
Kate K from DisplayLink tech support got back to me suggesting I use Activity Monitor to quit "coreaudio". I don't have that as a process, but do have "coreaudiod". I forced that process to quit and it immediately started back up and the sound came through the DisplayLink audio jack just fine.

Interesting work-around, but not a final fix. Not sure if the fix is with MacOS or DisplayLink having to deal with the new MacOS.

I logged an issue via Apple's Feedback Assistant as well.

cibelly
01-20-2022, 12:54 AM
I am having the same problem with an M1 MBP 13".

The suggestion made by @g716 has been working as a quick fix for me as well.

liam_bowers
01-20-2022, 09:22 PM
Kate K from DisplayLink tech support got back to me suggesting I use Activity Monitor to quit "coreaudio". I don't have that as a process, but do have "coreaudiod". I forced that process to quit and it immediately started back up and the sound came through the DisplayLink audio jack just fine.

I've got a D6000 dock and I've just upgraded to Monterey and my external audio output no longer works.

Killing the coreaudiod process 'fixes' the issue for me too although it's obviously far from ideal.

cibelly
01-21-2022, 03:05 PM
Here it stopped working even killing the process now. Nothing has changed, no updates recently. So weird...

dhokes
01-21-2022, 04:38 PM
I've got the same issue. Has anyone actually raised a support ticket for this as the DisplayLink team don't actively look at these forums?!

dhokes
01-21-2022, 05:34 PM
Update: I've just changed the Sound settings on my MBP and set the Output to Dell USB Audio and that appears to work! :)

GoodGuy2Know
02-03-2022, 08:50 PM
I've got a D6000 dock, and I've just upgraded to Monterey, and my external audio output no longer works.

Killing the coreaudiod process 'fixes' the issue for me too although it's obviously far from ideal.

Killing the coreaudiod also worked for me - I was having the same issue. Not great that you have to do that every time you unplug the Mac from the hub - but it beats restarting it

mgroshong
02-04-2022, 12:24 PM
How do you kill the coreaudio?

mgroshong
02-04-2022, 12:29 PM
Update: I've just changed the Sound settings on my MBP and set the Output to Dell USB Audio and that appears to work! :)
Can you tell me how to do that?

Designwonk
02-04-2022, 04:01 PM

On a Mac, go to your "Activity Monitor" and search for "coreaudiod" if it's not at the top. Hit the circle X in the top of the panel to quit the process.

Following these steps fixed the problem for me. While it's not ideal, it's a lot better than disconnecting or restarting every time my MacBook wakes from sleep! Thanks for "fix" everyone!

AlexT
03-09-2022, 05:28 PM
I experience the same problem.

uri200
03-11-2022, 06:16 PM
Same issue here

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2019)
Monterey 12.2.1 (21D62)
DisplayLink Manager 1.6.1

Killing coreaudiod worked for me

uri200
03-13-2022, 01:58 AM
The workaround is not woring anymore.

After having it done once, you need to restart the computer

We really need to find a way to fix that or this hub will not be useful :(

steraji
03-14-2022, 04:19 PM
I've been having a similar problem.

I have a MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019) running Monterey version 12.0.1
and this docking station https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0823BQ4PK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

I've been restarting the app where I experience the audio problem, and that's been working for me as a quick fix.

I just installed the DisplayLink Manager 1.5.0 and am curious to see if that makes a difference.
https://ca.qgeem.com/drivers

FYI - I don't normally shutdown or restart my MacBook. I just close the lid, and let it sleep (I suppose, like most people).
Since my last post, I've upgraded to Monterey 12.2.1. Somewhere between this version and Monterey 12.0.1, my touch bar would be unresponsive when I tried to wake my MacBook from sleep. From there, I'd have to restart my device to get things back to normal.

I've found that if I first disconnect the DisplayLink before waking up the MacBook, then connect the DisplayLink after the system is up, things work as expected - including the audio.

michaellau
03-14-2022, 09:15 PM

Open your terminal and type the command "sudo pkill coreaudiod". It will prompt you for your password before it kills coreaudio.

I've added an alias to my shell config:

alias resetAudio="sudo pkill coreaudiod"

But you can also create your own mini application to do this using the Script Editor application.

In script editor, enter the following

do shell script "pkill coreaudiod" password "blah" with administrator privileges

but replace 'blah' with your password. Then from the File menu, choose Export..., then for File Format choose Application, and for Export As give your application a name you'll remember. I chose "Reset Audio"

This will create a simple application that will reset your audio and then immediately close.

Now whenever I plug in my display link I can simply use cmd+spacebar to open up spotlight search, quickly search for "reset audio" and press return. I don't even have to type the whole thing, spotlight search will usually find it just after "re".

Basirk
05-11-2022, 05:20 PM
This is my first experience of DisplayLink having just bought a Dock.
I should have known. I was wooed be the "one cable" panacea, but deep down I knew that I was going to get annoying problems requiring ridiculous work arounds until someone fixes the drivers. Then wait for the next OS update to break something else.

So yeah, +1 with no audio. And back to two cables plugged into my Mac :/
... and a whistling PSU on the dock.
... and visual "jpeg" artefacts in my editor.
Apart from that it's awesome.

How long typically before these things get fixed? This thread is already nearly 6 months old!

smbruijn
06-09-2022, 10:58 AM
I think a recent Mac OS fixed it for me? Still on displaylink 1.6.1, but it works now... :-)

rboerner
06-09-2022, 11:03 AM
I think a recent Mac OS fixed it for me? Still on displaylink 1.6.1, but it works now... :-)

Anecdotal evidence suggests that the audio issue has been resolved in macOS 12.4.

Plugable has a knowledge base article that speaks to this development here --> https://kb.plugable.com/question/1182225

mickequick
04-28-2023, 07:00 AM
Using a Prokord USB-C dock for my screens and other peripherals. Using MBP M1 Pro, running macOS 12.6.5.

I've experienced similar problems as described here. Sound randomly stops working and I hear a "click" from the speaker, like if you turned something off.

I've tried suggestions in this thread with some success, but nothing that works in the long term.

Other workaround that have worked?

1. Unplug the speaker cable from the Prokord and then pluging it back in. "Click" and it works.

2. Switching to another application, like Quicktime, and playing a sound. "Click" and the sound is back on again. Other times I have to start playing a video on Youtube in Chrome.
"Click" and the sound is back again.

I've also streamed system logs for a while in order to "catch" something just after the dreaded "Click" that signals sound loss, as well as the "Click" that signifies that the sound is back. This is what I got.

Here is stopped working:

default 08:35:00.514719+0200 coreaudiod HALS_IOContext_Legacy_Impl::IOThreadEntry: 516 AppleUSBAudioEngine:DisplayLink:DL-Dock:ZG69360100661:3 (AppleUSBAudioEngine:DisplayLink:DL-Dock:ZG69360100661:3): stopping with error 0

Here I used the other software trick in order to get the sound to work again:

default 08:35:09.085500+0200 coreaudiod HALS_IOContext_Legacy_Impl::IOThreadEntry: 465 AppleUSBAudioEngine:DisplayLink:DL-Dock:ZG69360100661:3 (AppleUSBAudioEngine:DisplayLink:DL-Dock:ZG69360100661:3): starting

Here is what I presume is coreaudiod reporting something after restarting the dock:

default 08:35:09.091690+0200 coreaudiod CAReportingClient.mm:508 message {
"device_is_aggregate" = 0;
"input_num_tap_streams" = 0;
"input_scalar_volume" = "1.000000";
"io_buffer_size" = 256;
message = StartHardware;
"output_avail_phys_formats" = "{ [16/48000/2 lpcm], [16/48000/6 lpcm], [16/48000/2 lpcm], [16/48000/6 lpcm] }";
"output_avail_virt_formats" = "{ [32/48000/2 lpcm], [32/48000/6 lpcm], [16/48000/2 lpcm], [16/48000/6 lpcm] }";
"output_bits_per_channel" = 32;
"output_bytes_per_frame" = 8;
"output_bytes_per_packet" = 8;
"output_channels_per_frame" = 2;
"output_device_source_list" = Unknown;
"output_device_transport_list" = USB;
"output_device_uid_list" = "AppleUSBAudioEngine:DisplayLink:DL-Dock:ZG1:3";
"output_format_id" = lpcm;
"output_frames_per_packet" = 1;
"output_num_tap_streams" = 0;
"output_scalar_volume" = "1.000000";
"sample_rate" = 48000;
}: (
)

It would be REALLY nice if DisplayLink got together with Apple and solved this.

rboerner
04-28-2023, 11:14 AM
Using a Prokord USB-C dock for my screens and other peripherals. Using MBP M1 Pro, running macOS 12.6.5.

I've experienced similar problems as described here. Sound randomly stops working and I hear a "click" from the speaker, like if you turned something off.

I've tried suggestions in this thread with some success, but nothing that works in the long term.

If you have not done so already, I would suggest reporting the issue to DisplayLink by following the process outlined here --> https://support.displaylink.com/knowledgebase/articles/755301-how-to-report-macos-issues-to-displaylink