PDA

View Full Version : MacOS DisplayLink Manager Screen Recording permission blocks streaming (Netflix, etc)

ajw2021
10-29-2021, 05:05 AM
Video streaming services such as Netflix, HBO Max, Amazon Prime, etc. show a black screen and only play audio when the permission is enabled (permission-enabled required to use monitor). This is due to their intellectual property safeguards, but the DisplayLink software should NOT cause this to happen through such interference.

2020 MacBook Air M1 running latest MacOS Monterey
Browser: Safari Version 15.1 (I've tested this on Chrome too - no difference)
DisplayLink Manager 1.5.0 (Build 58.125)
ASUS ZenScreen MB16ACE 15.6” Portable USB Type-C Monitor

Without the permission enabled (and hence the DisplayLink software running), the monitor does not work!!!

This is unacceptable as it renders the expensive monitor useless for watching video streaming services. The DisplayLink software should NOT interfere with common user activities such as this. Urgent fix is needed.

paultzirides
10-29-2021, 03:18 PM
I do not know how everyone else views this issue, but it makes DisplayLink on macOS somewhat embarrassing. On Windows, users have few (if any) limitations. Granted, Windows is a dumpster fire, but I do not know why this is such an issue on macOS and cannot be rewritten to allow all of the native functions in the OS.

Meadowend
12-03-2021, 04:05 PM
I've just hit this issue (with NOW TV streaming) - I'm running Catalina. The DisplayLink information says that Catalina needs screen recording permission to access the pixels to redisplay them. Is this not the case with Big Sur (for instance)? Should I upgrade?

Thanks

lgcwow
04-03-2022, 12:54 PM
I have the same issues as yours on playback Netflix and Disney+ using DisplayLink. However, I don't know how to resolve it because I need to work on 3 monitors but I want to reserve one screen for watching video streaming.
Can anyone help me the solution??

madias
04-04-2022, 05:31 PM
I'm having the same issue after update Monterey for 12.3.1

azwildcat
04-04-2022, 08:25 PM
I wasn't having this issue until today. I think my computer automatically updated something and now I'm having dark screens with video. However, if I connect a screen individually to my computer it does get video but I can't use the other two screens. Any ideas on how to fix? It was fine before today.

mycreativepixel
04-04-2022, 08:31 PM
It apparently happened over the weekend. I can hear my video and see subtitles but video shows nothing. PLEASE FIX ASAP as this should be a VERY basic thing for users.:mad:

azwildcat
04-04-2022, 09:32 PM
It apparently happened over the weekend. I can hear my video and see subtitles but video shows nothing. PLEASE FIX ASAP as this should be a VERY basic thing for users.:mad:

I hope they fix it soon, I actually spoke with someone right away when I sent them an email, hopefully they'll get someone to figure it out.

lgcwow
04-05-2022, 01:08 AM

I think the background update of iOS make it happen. How to fix it?

kenna
04-05-2022, 01:21 AM

This is extremely frustrating and totally defeats the purpose of buying this relatively expensive hub to use multiple monitors. And it seems like a pretty big problem too... The screen recording feature is the core feature that the Display Link systems use to project windows across more than one display with the new M1 chips in Macs. Will Display Link even be able to release a driver update to get around this incompatibility with streaming services? I don't have the money to blow on another expensive hub and will be leaving very negative reviews for this system. What a waste.

jabsroche
04-05-2022, 06:30 PM
I was told by a Netflix rep the following:

REP: That means that the HDCP certification itself for the cable that you're using for the external screen is already outdated. You can go to the nearest techstore in your area and look for a cable with an updated HDCP cerification to at least 2.2. Since our contents are protected by copyrights and licenses, there's that certifications for these hardwares to allow the safe travel of the shows from one device to another.Sort of related to piracy prevention.

So if the said certification requirement is not met, video won't really play or there'd be the actual message about HDCPs. You can still watch with the external screens by having new cables that are updated with the recent HDCP certifications though.

Does anyone here know if the cable is the one that goes into the Display link port or the cables that go into the monitors?

paultzirides
04-05-2022, 06:54 PM
If this were a TV being connected to a streaming box using an HDMI cable, sure, that would be the issue, but I don't believe that's what's happening here.

Mac > USB dock/dongle (DisplayLink) > Display

It's that middle part that is the issue. As I understand it, the DisplayLink application uses the macOS "Screen Recording" API to grab video signals and sling them over to the connected display. It's not the cable that's the issue, it's the core of the system. Netflix, Apple TV, Hulu, etc. don't want to allow their content to be displayed while this core system mechanism is in use because it cannot differentiate between, for example, a legitimate display that is connected to a DisplayLink device and a screen recording device or application that someone might use to slurp up copy-protected content.

What needs to happen is that Apple needs to create separate APIs for "Screen Recording" and "Additional Displays" (hypothetically something like that). A developer like DisplayLink can then take advantage of the "Additional Display" API, which Apple could then guarantee to content providers like Netflix, Hulu, etc. would not allow for screen recording and theft of copyrighted content. DisplayLink is operating with what Apple is providing for developers and doing their best with the tools they have.

It sucks, I hate it just as much as everyone else, but this is the most likely scenario preventing HDCP content from being displayed.

jabsroche
04-05-2022, 07:33 PM
If this were a TV being connected to a streaming box using an HDMI cable, sure, that would be the issue, but I don't believe that's what's happening here.

Mac > USB dock/dongle (DisplayLink) > Display

It's that middle part that is the issue. As I understand it, the DisplayLink application uses the macOS "Screen Recording" API to grab video signals and sling them over to the connected display. It's not the cable that's the issue, it's the core of the system. Netflix, Apple TV, Hulu, etc. don't want to allow their content to be displayed while this core system mechanism is in use because it cannot differentiate between, for example, a legitimate display that is connected to a DisplayLink device and a screen recording device or application that someone might use to slurp up copy-protected content.

What needs to happen is that Apple needs to create separate APIs for "Screen Recording" and "Additional Displays" (hypothetically something like that). A developer like DisplayLink can then take advantage of the "Additional Display" API, which Apple could then guarantee to content providers like Netflix, Hulu, etc. would not allow for screen recording and theft of copyrighted content. DisplayLink is operating with what Apple is providing for developers and doing their best with the tools they have.

It sucks, I hate it just as much as everyone else, but this is the most likely scenario preventing HDCP content from being displayed.

Well, that stinks. Thanks for the reply.

jamesnlogan
04-09-2022, 01:01 PM
I have been able to play Netflix/DisneyPlus+ content via my DisplayLink connected external monitors with no problems for nearly two years now till it broke sometime last week.

I had a pending update to macos 12.3.1 which I applied after I started experiencing the issue hoping it would resolve it. Also updated DisplayLink (again, after the fact). Only afterwards did I find the posts saying that this is a known limitation.

But why did it work up until now? What changed last week that started enforcing this?

--
jnl

gkelway
04-12-2022, 05:05 PM
I think apple is enforcing this in one of their latest updates.

Try the Opera browser. It's still working for me.

jamesnlogan
04-13-2022, 05:10 PM
Thanks for the suggestion.

"Yet another browser" is just what I needed. :)

Confirming that Opera works for me as well.

--
jnl

marcus_70
04-14-2022, 08:23 AM
Hi

It works with firefox.

camiguz
04-14-2022, 11:25 AM
It worked with Opera. Thank you

osolemio
04-14-2022, 07:12 PM
Just had the exact same thing happen to me; DisplayLink has been working with Hulu and Netflix just fine for almost a year, until it recently stopped cooperating with both Chrome and Safari.

Made an account here to confirm what the others have said: Firefox seems to be handling it fine. Such an absurd issue...

maik
04-15-2022, 05:38 AM
Opera and Firefox browser It's working for me. :D

groorj
04-18-2022, 11:34 PM
Can confirm that Firefox works. Wasn't working with Chrome and it stopped recently (April 2022).

jrcalde
04-19-2022, 01:41 AM
Found a way to fix it temporarily for Chrome. In settings go to: Use hardware acceleration when available, turn it off, relaunch and the issue will be fixed. Still not ideal as it brings other issues such as camera does not work properly for Google Meet sometimes but it fixes video streaming issue.

adeyems
04-21-2022, 06:36 PM
Found a way to fix it temporarily for Chrome. In settings go to: Use hardware acceleration when available, turn it off, relaunch and the issue will be fixed. Still not ideal as it brings other issues such as camera does not work properly for Google Meet sometimes but it fixes video streaming issue.
This works for me. Thanks.

jasdhillon
04-27-2022, 12:37 PM

Worked for me as well! thank you!

bryrey
04-29-2022, 05:57 AM
I had the same problem and found out if you use the Firefox web browser it works.

Enjoy life with streaming and display extension.

cristobalhdez
04-30-2022, 06:24 PM
Worked for me as well! thank you!

I think this solution applies to all Chromium base browsers.
I'm using Brave and everything was working fine until yesterday that I received a new brave update.
You need to open the setting and find: Use hardware acceleration when available, turn it off

DChizz
05-02-2022, 07:01 PM
Hello, I have used the fix in Chrome browser mentioned in this thread and it worked, but when trying to watch purchased content on apple's TV app, i have the same issue experienced with Netflix etc. (sound, no video).

Anyone find a solution for this?

HE911
05-03-2022, 11:48 PM
I'm a little stressed... I just spent two days trying to troubleshoot Netflix, HBO, Amazon Prime and such streaming services... at first I was getting a constant black screen and couldn't determine cause.

If. I remove my D6000s device and turn off DisplayLink application for Mac, I can run the above streaming services without a single problem. However as soon as dock is added with my 2x 2k (2560x1440) all 3 displays including the Mac inherent display stops streaming services immediately with just black screens. I quite furious right now. The issue seems to be related to something with HDCP digital copy protection in affect when it should not be failing here. This doesn't exist for Windows laptop and identical hardware.

Has DisplayLink replied to anyone within this support thread?

HE911
05-03-2022, 11:58 PM
I tried the above with Chrome, Safari, Firefox and Vivaldi and all black screens. If I disable hardware acceleration I can get playback on Prime Video however the quality is unacceptable for any device standard for play back.

Capitanrdc
05-06-2022, 05:22 AM
I downloaded Firefox and Opera and it works just fine, it appears to be that chrome and safari are the issues.

I really hope that they fix this quickly tho...

DanielS
06-01-2022, 06:38 AM
Hello,

Unfortunately devices with DisplayLink technology do not support HDCP in macOS environment.
Streaming services like iTunes, HBO, Amazon Prime, Netflix or Disney+, YouTube TV etc. are using HDCP protected content. This is currently one of the DisplayLink limitations.

In those cases the video would remain black while audio is still playing. Please take a look at this article: Content protected video does not play on Mac while DisplayLink screens are connected.
(https://support.displaylink.com/knowledgebase/articles/830301-content-protected-video-does-not-play-on-mac-while)
Due to limitation on our end it is expected that this feature does not work. I get a feedback from many users that it is worth checking other browsers, any that were using Chrome have success with Firefox now. I hear that also changing the hardware acceleration settings in the browser helps.

Best regards,
Daniel

mycreativepixel
07-18-2022, 10:52 PM
THANK YOU! This worked for me. It's sad we have to jump through hoops when my co-workers with the same set up, but on a PC, have no issues.

faycito
10-03-2022, 02:59 PM
Hey Guys! I was having the same issue here on macbooc pro, after hard research I can solve it. First, go to your Browser Settings and then click on the "System" option, Disable the hardware acceleration, then restart the web browser, and that's it, this must be a temporary solution.

Here's the URL quickly navigation to disable the option (for Chrome and Edge by Chromium): chrome://settings/system

Regards from Perú

billho54
10-25-2022, 05:32 PM

Thanks. This worked- let's hope it doesn't create other issues, since I'm on Google Meet calls a lot.

joeyiglesias83
12-05-2023, 02:26 PM
Here in 2023 with the same issue.

Not working in Chrome, Safari, or Firefox. However, Opera works nicely.

ScreamCZE
12-12-2023, 09:08 AM
You need to disable GW acceleration in the browsers.
Unfortunately, macOS is blocking itself... there is not much DisplayLink can do here. Only Apple can change macOS' behavior.