PDA

View Full Version : USB 3.0 Docking Station with 2560x1080 Resolution

ColumnarPower
12-08-2017, 07:49 AM
I have been looking to connect my laptop to an LG ultrawide monitor (2560x1080 resolution). Because I want to use a single device to also connect an ethernet cable and several USB devices, a USB adapter is not a viable solution and because my laptop does not have a USB-C port, I need a USB 3.0 device.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to find one that looks like supports the 2560x1080 resolution (many will say "up to 2650x1440", but this does not seem to include 2560x1080).

I am hoping that someone might be able to point me in the way of a device that will suit my needs.

Thanks in advance for any help.

AlbanRampon
12-11-2017, 02:22 PM
Hello,
What matters is the pixel clock or data throughput: you have a pipe and the amount of information which can flow in the pipe depends on the pipe size, not how you rearrange the data afterwards (row x columns of an image). Pixel clock depends on the resolution, refresh rate and timings for the monitor.
It's not convenient to list all the exotic resolutions that a panel manufacturer might wish to do, so instead, you have the most common ones listed.

The amount of pixels is
2650x1440 = 3.816 Mpixels
2560x1080 = 2.765 Mpixels

There is so much difference that the timing won't make a big difference in working/not working.
But you seem to refer to the HDMI max resolution of a particular DisplayLink IC series.

I would advise you use DisplayPort so you can get a higher refresh rate in all conditions if you use that series. Alternatively, you can use a product with the latest DisplayLink chip which can drive 4Kp60 on any output type (which standard supports it, of course)
http://support.displaylink.com/knowledgebase/articles/525038

Kind regards,
Alban

AlbanRampon
12-11-2017, 02:22 PM
Hello,
What matters is the pixel clock or data throughput: you have a pipe and the amount of information which can flow in the pipe depends on the pipe size, not how you rearrange the data afterwards (row x columns of an image). Pixel clock depends on the resolution, refresh rate and timings for the monitor.
It's not convenient to list all the exotic resolutions that a panel manufacturer might wish to do, so instead, you have the most common ones listed.

The amount of pixels is
2650x1440 = 3.816 Mpixels
2560x1080 = 2.765 Mpixels

There is so much difference that the timing won't make a big difference in working/not working.
But you seem to refer to the HDMI max resolution of a particular DisplayLink IC series.

I would advise you use DisplayPort so you can get a higher refresh rate in all conditions if you use that series. Alternatively, you can use a product with the latest DisplayLink chip which can drive 4Kp60 on any output type (which standard supports it, of course)
http://support.displaylink.com/knowledgebase/articles/525038

Kind regards,
Alban