PDA

View Full Version : USB fails t

RAM
10-11-2016, 10:04 AM
Hi,

We've a ClimaxDigital USB 3.0 Universal Dock (CUD390).

We have noticed on a number of occasions now that the USB ports sometimes stop working and a restart of the dock is required to gain connectivity.

This issue is with all the USB Type A Female ports (both USB 2.0 & 3.0) on the dock, not the Type B Male USB 3.0 port that connects to the PC.

Display\HDMI & USB Ethernet continue to work through the dock without issue, but the USB peripherals are not detected. Nothing connected to the USB Type A Female ports on the dock will work.

It doesn't matter which PC is connected, or what drivers they are using. We've tried with PC running 7.9 M7 and also 8.0 M1 (we haven't yet managed to try with 8.0 M2 but there's nothing we've spotted in the release notes to indicate that this is an issue that would be addressed.

We've swapped cables and PCs, Win7 & Win10. The only thing that will get the USB Type A ports working again is a restart of the dock.

We're pretty sure we’ve only seen this occur after a period of ‘inactivity’ - ie. no PC is connected to the dock (other devices remain connected – HDMI, Ethernet, USB webcam\speakerphone, USB mouse) for a period of time (days) and then a PC is connected. However, it does not happen after every period of such 'inactivity'.

Do you have any suggestions? Does this sound like a hardware or software issue?

Out of interest, how do firmware updates work with Displaylink devices? M2, for example, has different Displaylink firmware versions to M1\M0 etc. Does this firmware version get updated on the dock automatically every time a device connects? So a laptop with M2 driver would update a DL-41xx device to v9.0.37.80577, but if disconnected and then a laptop with the M0 driver connects is the firmware on the dock downgraded accordingly? As I say, I’m just interested as to how this is working.

Thanks
James

AlbanRampon
10-11-2016, 11:16 PM
Hello James,
DisplayLink technology is not powering the USB hub in any dock. Therfore our driver does not control it and our firmware doesn't apply here either.
Our technology is internally connected to that same USB hub. You can use something like USB view and observe the hub is not our Vendor ID.
You will need to contact the manufacturer for help on their product, I'm afraid.
Kind regards,
Alban