PDA

View Full Version : Debugging tool questions

MFinSD
08-05-2016, 06:23 AM
I regularly install and troubleshoot DL enabled USB docks for clients.

I appreciate and utilize DL support when the typical fixes are unsuccessful (drivers, cables, enterprise security conflicts)

http://www.displaylink.com/downloads/file?d=65

I noticed that plugable has their own branded plug debug tool for same purpose / log generation

http://plugable.com/support/plugdebug

Are there any functional differences in these two tools or are they just branded versions of the same tool?

Apologies.. NEWB here and worst yet.. A SALES guy. Be gentle please . Thanks 👍

AlbanRampon
08-08-2016, 07:47 AM
Hello,
This question is totally valid!

DisplayLink only does one chip that goes in these devices. We don't sell or manufacture any end product.
We are a semiconductor company and we also do the driver going with the chips.
We are used to work with our tool that we also use in automated and manual system tests internally. We made it evolve based on what we found useful.
We can also make it evolve based on what we know will become available, before we can talk about it... The example was the Windows 10 Anniversary Update: we've been working on the native DisplayLink USB graphics with Microsoft for about 2 years but that was confidential.
It is very rare to have a failure which is general to all systems (otherwise we would have captured it during our tests before releasing). So, we are collecting machine details so we can reproduce in our labs: we need to select the same machine or a close one, based on where we suspect the issue lies.

Plugable is the manufacturer and seller. Even if we do end user support and help our customers, they are responsible for the customer support on their products. Their tool evolved based on what they have seen and what is useful to help on the full product.
Also, they have integrated other technology in the product. For instance, a USB hub chip to offer free USB ports...
If there is something essential we need which is missing from the Plugable generic logs, we work with them so it is added: so we don't have to ask for another set of logs with another tool. We work closely with them.

To sum up, they are quite similar but don't focus on the same things.
If you are interacting with DisplayLink, I advise you use our tool as we save a lot of time each time we hand over the thing internally by knowing where to look!

Does that answer your question?

Alban