PDA

View Full Version : Microphone not working: Ubuntu 14.04.3

hugof
03-02-2016, 12:43 PM
Hello,

I have the latest drivers installed in Ubuntu 14.04.3. The hub is currently working with a monitor and Ethernet cable. I have tested the USB ports and they are working correctly too (at this point in time I cannot use the USB keyboard/mouse dongle because of USB 3.0 issue that are referenced in the DisplayLink support pages).

I am also using the audio jack. The output (when set via Ubuntu's Sound Settings) works, but the left/right speakers are flipped.

In addition to this the microphone does not work. I set the audio input to "Analog input" but no sound is registered in the input level (Set and tested in Ubunbtu's Sound Settings).

In order to diagnose the problem I have also tested the following with success:

1. Use the same mic/ear-phones in the same laptop's jack
2. Use the same mic/ear-phones in the same model laptop jack but using Windows
3. Same as 3 but using the DisplaLink hub jack.

I have included the output of the support tool (DLSupportTool) as an attachment.

Any help in solving this is appreciated.

TIA.

mlukaszek
03-03-2016, 07:30 AM
Hi,

Sounds systems used in Linux distros are quite flexible - so, it is possible swap the audio channels as you like.

Can you try this:
https://superuser.com/questions/59481/how-to-swap-stereo-channels-in-ubuntu

Not sure about the mic though - so my proposals will be a bit vague.

First, inspect the output of: $ cat /proc/asound/cards

I'll assume you have alsa-utils installed: does recording with ALSA utilities - like arecord - work?
ALSA mixer is (alsamixer) also quite good in diagnosing - do you see the input in it, is it not muted, are the recording levels right?

Thanks,
Michal

Szymon
03-03-2016, 09:01 AM
Hi hugof,

Additionally, I've tested very briefly exact Lenovo USB docking station on a Ubuntu machine with a headset and it works.

From our experience we know sometimes 4 position to 2x 3 position 3.5mm jack adapters (picture attached) required in your setup can be faulty.

Regards,
Szymon

hugof
03-04-2016, 10:59 AM
Hi hugof,

Additionally, I've tested very briefly exact Lenovo USB docking station on a Ubuntu machine with a headset and it works.

From our experience we know sometimes 4 position to 2x 3 position 3.5mm jack adapters (picture attached) required in your setup can be faulty.

Regards,
Szymon

As I said, I tested the jack adapter on the laptop's input so this is not an issue.

Thanks for the warning.

hugof
03-04-2016, 12:25 PM
Hi,

Sounds systems used in Linux distros are quite flexible - so, it is possible swap the audio channels as you like.

Can you try this:
https://superuser.com/questions/59481/how-to-swap-stereo-channels-in-ubuntu

Not sure about the mic though - so my proposals will be a bit vague.

First, inspect the output of: $ cat /proc/asound/cards

I'll assume you have alsa-utils installed: does recording with ALSA utilities - like arecord - work?
ALSA mixer is (alsamixer) also quite good in diagnosing - do you see the input in it, is it not muted, are the recording levels right?

Thanks,
Michal

Michal,

The cat command gives me the following result:

cat /proc/asound/cards
0 [PCH ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel PCH
HDA Intel PCH at 0x94320000 irq 131
1 [Dock ]: USB-Audio - ThinkPad Basic USB 3.0 Dock
DisplayLink ThinkPad Basic USB 3.0 Dock at usb-0000:00:14.0-2.3, super speed

I the used alsamixer and made sure that everything is un-muted.
In the alsa mixer I also see S/PDIF, S/PDIF 1 and S/PDIF 2.
I have als set the mic boost to the maximum.

I have tested with Ubuntu's (use both the analogue and digital inputs).
I also tested with:

arecord test.wav

The result is I can hear very faint noise when I strike the mic.
The voice is imperceptibly low. So the input seems to be working.
Its just being picked up correctly. I retested the cable with the laptop's jack.
No problem here.

Can anyone tell me if they were able to use the mic inn Linux?

TIA.