PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have displaylink working with fglrx driver/ATI propriatary drivers ubu15.1

AntiNSA
02-01-2016, 04:19 PM
I have a dell e6540 and can only get blank screens. Works on open source driver only

rboerner
02-01-2016, 11:41 PM
DisplayLink calls out that the driver will not work with the closed source GPU drivers here -> http://support.displaylink.com/knowledgebase/articles/641668-known-issues-with-displaylink-ubuntu-support

You have to use the open source driver...

AntiNSA
02-02-2016, 08:23 AM
Why is it they can only support the propriatary driver in windows and not in Linux? I would like to use the hardware acceleration added.

mlukaszek
02-02-2016, 11:12 AM
Closed source is not really the reason here, it's just the functionality of those drivers that we need. EVDI driver needs a DRM compatible driver for the main GPU, and uses the functionality provided by Xrandr 1.4 called offloading graphics display. This is a way for drivers to work together so that one graphics device can display images rendered by another.

When we released the Linux driver, binary AMD and NVIDIA drivers could not be used like this out of the box. We need both the built-in GPU driver and EVDI to appear in the output of xrandr --listproviders and we need to be able to use xrandr --setprovideroutputsource command to connect source and the sink. The built-in GPU must appear as a provider with Source Output capability. Modesetting should appear for EVDI, it should have Sink Output capability.

It's possible that with some effort this can be configured to work. In a way, this is similar to NVIDIA Optimus, where both Intel card and NVIDIA are used together. To my knowledge, this requires manual configuration in xorg.conf, to indicate modesetting driver to be used for the second card.

If someone succeeds, please share this on the forum!

Thanks,
Michal