PDA

View Full Version : Flickering/Freezing display

pezlin
08-14-2015, 08:27 AM
Hi! I have problems with my monitors connected to a HP 3005pr port replicator. The displays keeps flickering and sometimes freezes. I currently have Windows 10 installed but I had the same problem in Windows 8.1. Actually the problems got worse when I installed a later version of the displaylink software in Windows 8.1. In Windows 10 it doesn't matter if I use an old version or a new one. Currently I am using the latest version distributed from HP.

I have tried different monitors, different cables and connecting one monitor at the time to both display port and hdmi with the same flickering/freezing result. I have attached a zip file with debug information. Can please someone assist with trying to find what is the problem with the setup.

Edit: The displays freezes/flickers when I have both a HDMI and Displayport monitor connected and just flickers when only one of them is connected.

Thank you!

JamesH
08-26-2015, 10:40 AM
Hi,

Sorry for the delay in replying.

To help diagnose this could you:

1. Post a video showing the issue
2. Post the serial number of the dock

Thanks,
James

pezlin
08-26-2015, 01:28 PM
Hi!

Attached is the video showing the problem.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=F0790661371705DF!262464&authkey=!AP9KDqI5WdQth9o&ithint=video%2cmp4

Serial number: 7CB503E721

pezlin
09-02-2015, 07:02 AM
I have updated to version 7.9 M2 but is still experiencing the same problem unfortunately.

pezlin
09-07-2015, 08:11 AM
Any news regarding this issue?

JamesH
09-07-2015, 04:38 PM
Hi,

Thanks for posting the video.

I'm going to raise this internally for further investigation but wondered if you'd answer these questions before I do:

Do you always get the corruption shown in it? Or do you need to run through specific steps to get it? i.e. Reboot, log off and on, sleep-resume?

If you have another PC could you try and see if you can reproduce this issue with the same dock and monitors?

If you increase the resolution of the Spectre screen do you still see the corruption?

If you decrease the resolution of the external monitors do you still see the corruption?

From the logs I can see you have a Dell U2410 - can you let me know what the other monitor make and model is?

Many thanks,
James

pezlin
09-14-2015, 07:30 AM
Please see my response below.

Hi,

Thanks for posting the video.

I'm going to raise this internally for further investigation but wondered if you'd answer these questions before I do:

Do you always get the corruption shown in it? Or do you need to run through specific steps to get it? i.e. Reboot, log off and on, sleep-resume?
- The corruption starts immediately when connecting the computer and nothing helps to solve it (reboot etc.)

If you have another PC could you try and see if you can reproduce this issue with the same dock and monitors?
- I have tried with a Dell XPS without having this issue so it seems to be related to the Spectre X360.

If you increase the resolution of the Spectre screen do you still see the corruption?
- It doesn't matter what resolution I choose.

If you decrease the resolution of the external monitors do you still see the corruption?
- It doesn't matter what resolution I choose.

From the logs I can see you have a Dell U2410 - can you let me know what the other monitor make and model is?
- The problem is there with just one monitor as well (in this case Dell U2410). It also doesn't matter if it runs through HDMI, Displayport or HDMI->DVI-adapter. The problem is not there if I connect the monitor directly to the laptop.

Many thanks,
James

pezlin
09-25-2015, 10:08 AM
Any news on this?

pezlin
11-11-2015, 05:45 AM
Have you had a chance to look into this? I have also tried with a Dell display link adapter with the same result.

JamesH
11-13-2015, 10:10 AM
Will check on this.

Thanks,
James

JamesH
11-16-2015, 02:12 PM
Hi,

Please try the latest graphics driver for your HP notebook available from this link:
http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=7739481&swItemId=ob_154249_1&swEnvOid=4192

Also can you let me know if this issue persists after upgrading to v7.9M3?
You can download this from here:
http://www.displaylink.com/downloads/downloads.php

Thanks,
James

pezlin
11-24-2015, 05:50 AM
Hi!

I have tested the latest driver for both the laptop and the displaylink adapter without success. I ran the support tool once more so that you have fresh data.

pezlin
12-15-2015, 06:22 AM
Any news on this?

pezlin
01-05-2016, 12:48 PM
Any news on this?

snak35
01-11-2016, 07:52 PM
As an FYI, I had a similar problem and downgraded to M3 that solved the problem. Steps taken:

- Disconnect USB
- Uninstall software and graphics entry in Control Panel
- Reboot
- Carry out Clean Uninstall (http://www.displaylink.com/downloads/file?d=64)
- Install M3 version
- Connect USB when asked
- Reboot.

Hope this helps.

pezlin
01-11-2016, 08:27 PM
Did you have these problems prior to M4 as well? I have had them since 7.9 M0 so it sounds strange that it could be solved by downgrading to M3 but I can give it a try.

Wim
01-14-2016, 10:04 AM
Hi!

Attached is the video showing the problem.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=F0790661371705DF!262464&authkey=!AP9KDqI5WdQth9o&ithint=video%2cmp4

Serial number: 7CB503E721

Hi

I've just looked at this video and this looks like a hardware problem; specifically the memory in the dock, used to hold the video frame buffer is faulty. It does not look like a driver issue.

Wim

Jay
01-15-2016, 12:15 AM
I had the same issue where my computer was unusable when hooked up to the dynadock due to flickering. I tried this solution on the hp forum and it actually worked!
" NualaMa 18:21 PM 06 Aug 15 There is a simple fix

Open task manager ...
under file (top left) "Run new task" ...
type msconfig (yes it is hard to type as screen blinks, but it can be done) ...
In the new box that opens (it may be behind the task manager box) go to Service Tab ....
Scroll until you find 2 tasks that need to be stopped ...
(1) Problem Reports and Solution Control Panel Support ....
(2) Windows Error Report Service.... Disable these by unchecking ....
Click Apply ...
Click OK ...
If you are prompted to restart, then restart computer .....

This is the main issue causing the screen to blink . .. Ironic that the items causing the errors are the solutions designed to report errors to microsoft"

pezlin
01-15-2016, 09:40 AM
I had the same issue where my computer was unusable when hooked up to the dynadock due to flickering. I tried this solution on the hp forum and it actually worked!
" NualaMa 18:21 PM 06 Aug 15 There is a simple fix

Open task manager ...
under file (top left) "Run new task" ...
type msconfig (yes it is hard to type as screen blinks, but it can be done) ...
In the new box that opens (it may be behind the task manager box) go to Service Tab ....
Scroll until you find 2 tasks that need to be stopped ...
(1) Problem Reports and Solution Control Panel Support ....
(2) Windows Error Report Service.... Disable these by unchecking ....
Click Apply ...
Click OK ...
If you are prompted to restart, then restart computer .....

This is the main issue causing the screen to blink . .. Ironic that the items causing the errors are the solutions designed to report errors to microsoft"

I have no problem with the laptop screen, only with the external screen. Was it the same for you?

pezlin
01-15-2016, 10:49 AM
Hi

I've just looked at this video and this looks like a hardware problem; specifically the memory in the dock, used to hold the video frame buffer is faulty. It does not look like a driver issue.

Wim

I have tested this on another HP 3005pr replicator with the same result som hardware problem doesn't seem to be the case. My colleague uses that replicator with another HP laptop (although another model) without problems.