dbhc
08-12-2015, 03:50 PM
I got it working on Elementary OS: Freya
Here are the steps I took.

1. Update the distribution.
2. run:
sudo ./displaylink-driver-xxxxx.run --keep --noexec
3. edit the install script to have DLM upstart job run outside the if statement
(step 3 was necessary as neither if statement would trigger for me.)

Best of luck!

muffinjello
12-15-2015, 01:09 AM
I got it working on Elementary OS: Freya
Here are the steps I took.

1. Update the distribution.
2. run:
sudo ./displaylink-driver-xxxxx.run --keep --noexec
3. edit the install script to have DLM upstart job run outside the if statement
(step 3 was necessary as neither if statement would trigger for me.)

Best of luck!

I'm new to elementary OS and I don't know what to do next, to tell the computer to install the script.
I edit the .sh script to contain:.. (line 270-ish)
echo "Adding udev rule for DisplayLink DL-3xxx/5xxx devices"
add_udev_rule
echo "Starting DLM upstart job - OUTSIDE IF STATEMENT @CUSTOM EDIT"
add_upstart_script
add_pm_script "upstart"
start displaylink
if [ "upstart" == "$SYSTEMINITDAEMON" ]; then
echo "Starting DLM upstart job"
add_upstart_script
add_pm_script "upstart"
start displaylink
elif [ "systemd" == "$SYSTEMINITDAEMON" ]; then
echo "Starting DLM systemd service"
add_systemd_service
add_pm_script "systemd"
systemctl start displaylink.service
fi

However, doing the fancy chmod +x on the shell script and running it, does nothing. Executing the original .run appears to execute the original (unfixed) file, and I can't execute a folder.

Please, tell me what you did. :S

dbhc
12-15-2015, 01:29 AM
hey,

it's been a while so I'm grainy on the details but if I'm remembering correctly, all I did was take the
echo "Starting DLM upstart job"
add_upstart_script
add_pm_script "upstart"
start displaylink

outside of the if statement (cut and paste before the if statement). So, it no longer checks "upstart" == "$SYSTEMINITDAEMON".

Try that and if it doesn't work, let me know what error message you get.
I'll try to debug it with you on my machine.

evanovka
01-01-2016, 06:32 PM
However, doing the fancy chmod +x on the shell script and running it, does nothing. Executing the original .run appears to execute the original (unfixed) file, and I can't execute a folder.

Please, tell me what you did. :S

after some trying & code investigation, here is what did the job:
you have to run the script with the option "install", i.e. do
script.sh install
... duh....

wordyallen
05-09-2017, 11:29 PM
I don't have any code with respect to the 'upstart'. The script turns into a mess at line 500. I downloaded diff versions and using diff computers. still a corrupted generated script. Does anyone have any suggestions or the original?

-Joe

if test "$keep" = n; then
cd $TMPROOT
/bin/rm -rf $tmpdir
fi
eval $finish; exit $res
����X���nϒ.��m۶m�޻m�w��n۶m۶m��ۿs��=3s�~� ����[�kUUV�S�Oe��~�]t��� ß�����+���힑����������O;;;#+��������@@�`k�� ?�������BG�ld�Bkn��

mlukaszek
05-11-2017, 06:59 AM
It's not corrupted, it's a self-extracting shell "archive" with installer logic created with makeself (https://github.com/megastep/makeself).

You can export SYSTEMINITDAEMON=upstart before you run the installer, then you wouldn't have to modify the script at all I think.

Cheers,
Michal

SarahC214
02-14-2019, 02:54 PM
for someone who only knows Python and saying I even know that is a stretch, this doesn't help at all. for one, my install.sh script doesnt have the part of that if statement that you all are talking about pulling outside the loop that I've been able to find using sudo pico to open the file.
additionally, what do you mean with this comment about the "export SYSTEMINITDAEMON=upstart" before running the installer and avoid the need to alter the script at all? regardless of where I've cd'd into on my computer, I can't for the life of me get anything but an error using that code snippet, if used alone or in conjunction with running any of the .sh files in an attempt to install.
Could you please be more specific? I just need to get my second monitor working so I can actually be effective in my research, and I haven't been able to since ubuntu updated frOm 18.04.1 to 18.04.2.