PDA

View Full Version : New Windows 10 install, 2 Displaylink adapters won't work

jsaltsman
08-03-2015, 05:14 PM
I have a new build of windows 10 on a Dell Laptop (Latitude E6530). Previously I had Windows 8.1. I have a docking station that I have 2 monitors connected via DVI. I also have 2 DisplayLink adapters to run monitors 3 and 4. This morning since the new OS, I can run in 1 of 3 configurations:

No Displaylink connected and 2 DVI work fine
One Displaylink connected and 2 DVI and 1 Displaylink work fine (3 monitors)
Two Displaylink connected and they work fine, but DVI do not. (2 monitors)

I have uninstalled, ran the cleaner, reinstalled. I have tried one at a time. I have tried both at the same time. Nothing can get all 4 monitors to work at the same time. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

FormerHuman
08-09-2015, 01:20 PM
I just registered to deal with a similar problem that I am having. I have three monitors, my central (main) monitor is connected to my Nvidia card and I have the left and right screens connected to Displaylink adapters. Previously I was running Windows 7 in this arrangement with no issues, and for the first few days after upgrading to Windows 10 the setup worked fine in the same manner (although I was not using the computer much in this time). Yesterday, after booting up and then going away from the computer for only a few minutes, I came back to find my central (Nvidia) monitor had disconnected, with my left and right (Displaylink) monitors now being the only screens registered. Disconnecting the third (right) monitor re-enabled the central monitor, and I could continue with my left and central screens, but having both Displaylink adapters connected would always disable the central monitor.

Peculiarly, the display settings in Windows showed the left and right monitors as monitors 2 and 3 (no #1 monitor, which was always set to the central, with the left and right simply positioned accordingly in the settings), and searching for additional monitors came up empty. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers (as soon as the driver is removed, the displaylink monitors go off and the central monitor returns immediately), but the problem persists. I am on the most up-to-date Nvidia drivers, but I did also try reverting to the previous version, but this made no difference.

Any ideas? Currently I've got the Displaylink adapter drivers uninstalled and I am just using my central monitor connected to my GPU.

jsaltsman
08-09-2015, 01:29 PM
Something about my setup was disabling the other 2 monitors. Once I figured out how to see the old school display settings (Control Panel>search Display>Change Display Settings

Now you can Re-enable the disabled screens and everything works likes it is supposed to.

:)

FormerHuman
08-09-2015, 06:02 PM
It worked! Thanks for that, I didn't even realise you could still access the old-style display settings dialogue. For some reason my central display was disabled (which would explain why Windows still knew it was there as #1, but wasn't showing up alongside #2 and #3).

Oh well, teething problems I suppose. I am glad it's working again, thanks again, I was pulling my hair out the other day trying to figure it out.