PDA

View Full Version : ASUS MB168b+ only works on USB 2

markmc
06-12-2015, 06:06 PM
Sent this into tech support as I couldn't post. Heard back from James (thanks) but could not send the zip file with the data in it.
James asked:
Just to confirm, have you been through this FAQ?
Yes
Your USB video adapter, USB docking station or USB monitor constantly disconnects and reconnects.
When this happens:
You repeatedly hear ... If this does not solve the issue, follow the steps below:
Check if you have the latest DisplayLink software installed
Yes completely uninstalled what was there using Revo advanced settings, rebooted, installed latest Display link.
You can locate the latest version on this page-

Check if you have the latest USB 3.0 host controller driver installed on your PC
If you have Windows 7 installed see this article to obtain the latest USB 3.0 host controller driver
If you have Windows 8 or above installed then the driver is supplied and controlled by Microsoft
Check if you have the latest USB hub firmware programmed on your product
Check with your product manufacturer to see if there is a USB hub firmware update available
Check if you have the latest BIOS version installed on your PC
Visit your PC manufacturer's website to see if there is a BIOS update available for your computer.
Also check if USB 3.0 mode (if present) is enabled in your BIOS
Yes to all the above- Windows 8 but checked anyway

Check if the same behaviour is seen when connected to a USB 2.0 port on your PC (or if none is available with a USB 2.0 cable)
Checked- monitor works on the single USB 2 port which is on the wrong side of the machine.

Some USB 3.0 enabled PCs can exhibit issues on USB 3.0 ports but not on USB 2.0 ports
Check if the same behaviour is observed with a different USB cable
As with other kinds of cable, USB cable quality can vary
Try a USB 'Y' cable (if you are using a USB powered monitor product)
Ensure you connect both ends of the 'Y' cable to USB ports on your PC
The connector at the monitor end is different than anything else I have or have seen so did not change cables. It is new as of yesterday.

Try connecting your product through an external mains powered USB hub
Some USB 3.0 enabled PCs can exhibit issues which can be resolved by connecting your product through an external mains powered USB hub
Have not tried this-don't have one so would need to get one somewhere.

Disable USB selective suspend
Open the Control Panel on your PC
Select Hardware and Sound
Select Power Options
Select Change plan settings against your preferred power plan
Select Change advanced power settings
In the Power Options dialog that opens select USB settings
Select the USB selective suspend setting
Change the Setting to Disabled
Did that
If you are still experiencing issues with your product disconnecting and reconnecting please download and run this tool,
Zip file with results attached- one set is with the monitor in the USB 2 port, the other is in one of the USB 3 ports-
Had same result in all three USB 3 ports.
NOTE that At one point had my old Toshiba Display link connected in the USB3 and the nice new ASUS connected in the USB 2 just to see that all worked and it worked fine. NO problem with any other peripherals in the USB 3 ports.

markmc
06-13-2015, 03:29 PM
Sorry looks as if I posted the wrong forum but in case anyone else has the same problem.
I solved the issue-

uninstalled Displaylink software completely again using Revo Uninstaller advanced settings
Checked and it was cleared from the registry
I then went in an manually deleted the old Toshiba Displaylink monitor from the registry (serious caution if you do this- I almost deleted some other important Toshiba items)
Made sure the ASUS software was also gone.
Then reinstalled Display link software- had the monitor connected to a powered USB3 and it appeared to install properly- rebooted.
Same thing- just for grins I decided to try the one non powered USB3 again.

That worked-yippee

BTW - in the course of things I went to back up some files before creating havoc .
I had " USB selective Suspend" set to Disabled per the troubleshooting. I discovered that doing that made it impossible to use a USB drive attached for backup- went back restored that to enable and the USB drive was fine.