PDA

View Full Version : Not getting 60hz refresh rate - but close to it.....

Jarvmeister
05-27-2015, 09:09 AM
Hi all.

I have a Dell XPS13 (9333) and a Dell D4100 USB DisplayLink dock.

If I watch a 60fps on the native monitor of the laptop, there is no stuttering. When I watch the same video on the external screen connected to the dock I notice considerable stuttering.

I am using the Dell driver, supplied with the dock. If I update to the latest Displaylink driver it actually makes the framerate appear worse, minimising and maximising windows is noticeably juddery, so I have reverted back to the Dell drivers provided at purchase.

Disconnecting one of my two external screens, so the Displaylink setup is not trying to output to much graphical data at once, has absolutely no effect at all.

Adjusting the Powerplan options of the laptop to high performance also has no effect.

Is there anything else I can do - it would seem to be a driver issue, as I've noticed that a change of driver affects the performance, albeit in a negative way. Or do I just have to accept that this is a limitation of the technology?

Many thanks.

Wim
05-27-2015, 05:06 PM
Hi

The screen wiull be refreshed at 60Hz, but the stuttering you are seeing is from the system not being able to send the screen updates quickly enough. This can be for a number of reasons and there is a knowledgebase article on tips and tricks to improve this here:

http://support.displaylink.com/knowledgebase/articles/544264

Wim