PDA

View Full Version : External monitor not recognised

aweedman
03-22-2015, 07:47 PM
Hello DisplayLink Support,
I am running Win10 build 10041 here with a Displaylink device as secondary monitor, and everything was hunky-dory with DisplayLink driver 7.8.5999.x. But yesterday got via Windows Update your latest version 7.8.61611.0 and all hell broke loose. The driver will try to initiate, crash out, re-initiate, then crash out. Continuous loop thus. Screens flashing all the time.
I am suspecting this version is having issues with my main AMD video card. I have collected the support file and attached. I hope this can help you diagnose the issue. In the meantime, could please help direct me to where I can download the former version 7.8.5999.x. Thanks already.

Hi. I just thought I'd try out Windows 10 and Displaylink installed as 7.8.61611.0 (same as previous message) and I can confirm that it is not recognizing my external monitor. Interestingly, when I go into my Programs and Features, I have DisplayLink Core Software as the mentioned version, and DisplayLink Graphics on version 7.7.60373.0. Is this correct?

JamesH
03-22-2015, 08:22 PM
Hi,

I've moved your post so it doesn't get lost in the previous thread.

Can you attach the output of this tool?
http://www.displaylink.com/support/ticket.php?id=269

Did you get the latest driver through Windows Update or from the DisplayLink website?

Thanks,
James

aweedman
03-24-2015, 12:31 AM
Hi. Attached. I installed both ways with the same outcome.

Al

Denis Olivier
03-24-2015, 08:49 AM
Hi back,

Driver date: 19/03/2015
Version: 7.8.61611.0

new version on WU. Same problems again. No more external screens are running. I can understand that with WU all can't be fine under a beta, but each time it breaks the config and you wandering in a deep space of fingers crossed ;)

So I uninstall, did cleaner tool after rebooting between each action as each time. WU proposed me to reinstall, I said yes and. Nothing. Reboot. Nothing.

I must admit that the most difficult is that under WU you don't really if successful or not. You get a splash window asking you if you want to install, then, nothing special. Even if when you uninstall. I just hoping, while I think that computers are made to help humans ;)

Ah and mostly I didn't see the tray icon displaying either.

And again I'm lost, because I don't know what to do next. Should I try again because the situation of (un)installing is not boolean, or kill a chicken under the dark moon? :)

I try to make is fun, but sometimes I would like to test other things rather than spending hours into computer praying ;)

Good luck to you (and to me).

Denis.

Attached requested information files.

JamesH
03-24-2015, 09:33 AM
Hi,

Can you you update to the latest Technical Preview and let me know if you sill have this issue?

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/03/18/windows-10-technical-preview-build-10041-now-available/

Thanks,
James

MikkelMunch
03-24-2015, 09:42 AM
Hi James,

I have the exact same issue.

external monitors not recognized. I have a applied latest win10 updates.

kallmyr
03-24-2015, 01:30 PM
Hi.
Ive also hav the same issue and tried everything above.
Here is mye zip file:

NKYadav
03-24-2015, 03:24 PM
Same deal. Running Windows 10 build 10041 (updated through normal means, from build 9926 through Windows Update). Windows update pushed version 7.8.61611.0 to me this morning. Most DL functions are working, i.e. Ethernet, USB, etc. but monitors refuse to work.

Attached is my diagnostic output that you've been requesting of others.

NKYadav
03-24-2015, 04:32 PM
I also would like a link to the previous build that worked, please. I am using a laptop with a Targus ACP71USZ dock with 2 * 23" Lenovo Monitors, and I currently cannot use them at all.

aweedman
03-25-2015, 12:28 AM
No luck here. Upgraded to 10041. My second monitor actually flashed on for a half a second but since then it's been dark.

NKYadav
03-25-2015, 07:37 PM
I hate to sound like a broken record, but since this is probably going to be an extended fix, and to prevent future breakdowns like this, can we have a small FTP site with the last 2 or three Win10 specific drivers?

I have a paid MediaFire account that I would be willing to host those files on permanently (and free of any sort of charge, obligation, or anything) to help users get out of a jam if (when) something like this happens again so that you don't have to expose that much more of your own bandwidth. The codebase for Win10 is nowhere near complete, and to honestly believe that there will be no more problems with this (or any other) driver is pretty naïve.

However, with the testing that I am performing for my company, I am using this machine in a simulated environment but as if it is a production environment, including addressing tests like VPN access, server monitoring, Remote Desktop services, and am about to start testing Desktop virtualization, as well as native Hyper-V virtualization in the OS itself. And, being lazy, and liking to show off, I keep taking the machine out of the simulated environment and into the production environment more so than I should - but because it is simply faster to do so.

Please, please, *PLEASE* give us access to older, stable drivers so that we can more effectively test the OS itself, as well as have a backup plan when testing a newly released version of the current driver doesn't work as well as it should out in the field.

Thank you.

JamesH
03-26-2015, 03:13 PM
Hi folks,

Can you you try the latest Alpha (v8)?

It is linked to this FAQ:
http://www.displaylink.com/support/ticket.php?id=376

Thanks,
James

NKYadav
03-26-2015, 07:05 PM
Absolutely. And a no go again.

I have a new dataset collected as well.

HTH

aweedman
03-27-2015, 12:16 AM
Sorry, no change. If anything the behavior is worse. Instead of it acting like a new device is being installed every 5-10 minutes or so, it's now doing it about every 10 seconds.

NKYadav
03-27-2015, 02:27 PM
My actual dock was bad / had gone bad at around the same time the update started messing with the displays. After another clean install of the latest v8, it exhibited extremely weird symptoms:

When I looked in Screen Resolution settings, I saw all three monitors (laptop + 2 external) showing but neither external screen had anything showing on it;
Using Identify monitors only showed a number on the main display;
Occasionally one of the external monitors (the one going through DVI) would show up and display my default background wallpaper;
Running Identify monitors then would still only result in monitor 1 being identified.

Now, mind you, as I said, it showed that it had detected all three monitors, even monitor type for the two external monitors - but there was no interaction between the dock and monitor, and thus no output.

So, I swapped out with another dock, and it went through another driver installation routine, rebooted, and everything is working again.

Thank you, DL team.

PaulJ
03-30-2015, 11:52 AM
Hi all,

We believe a lot of the issues being reported in this thread are related to the Windows persisted display layout settings which can be reset by deleting the following two registry keys:
• HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDriv ers\Configuration
• HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDriv ers\Connectivity

It is caused by Windows saving something configured by our older software which then doesn’t interact well with our newer software.

Let us know if that solves the issue!

Thanks,
Paul

PaulJ
03-30-2015, 02:02 PM
Hi James,

I have the exact same issue.

external monitors not recognized. I have a applied latest win10 updates.

Hi MikkelMunch,

Your issue appears to be different. It looks like your device is not being detected correctly by the system. Are you able to check all the connections, in particular the USB connection to the host PC?

Thanks,
Paul

vimagode
03-30-2015, 02:15 PM
Hi all,

We believe a lot of the issues being reported in this thread are related to the Windows persisted display layout settings which can be reset by deleting the following two registry keys:

It is caused by Windows saving something configured by our older software which then doesn’t interact well with our newer software.

Thanks,
Paul

This has been the solution for my problem, everything works again as Windows 8.1

aweedman
03-31-2015, 01:01 AM
Hi all,

Thanks,
Paul

All good for me after this.

pcbliss7
03-31-2015, 07:47 PM
Hi all,

Thanks,
Paul

This fixed my issues as well.

jstacy
03-31-2015, 08:30 PM
Still not working on 10049. I've deleted the two registry keys, ran the cleanup tool, and am on the latest alpha. Attached is the support file.
I have a Plugable UGA-4KDP.
Thanks!

nkothari
04-17-2015, 04:18 PM
Still not working on 10049. I've deleted the two registry keys, ran the cleanup tool, and am on the latest alpha. Attached is the support file.
I have a Plugable UGA-4KDP.
Thanks!

Hi JStacy

Could you please tell us the following so we can identify the problem:
- The number of monitors you're connecting to the PC, and how each one is being connected. (e.g. Dell monitor via DP cable using Plugable adapter, or via HDMI to the PC's HDMI output, etc.)
- The exact steps you follow and the behaviour you observe.
- Have you tried or is it possible for you to try to connect the monitor(s) that don't work to a different PC. (This is to eliminate the possibility of faulty cables or faulty monitors).

Thanks
Nilay

jstacy
04-17-2015, 04:26 PM
Nilay,

The adapter is working now on the v9 alpha.