PDA

View Full Version : Surface Pro 3 w/ 3 displaylink adapters

boldt
02-05-2015, 07:56 PM
I recently acquired a surface pro 3, and I am having great difficulty in getting 3 monitors to function with the current displaylink driver and supported hardware. At one point I had 2 of the 3 working but since an undock/redock I am back to nothing.

The 3 displaylink adapters are:

1 x Dynadock U3.0
2 x EVGA UV Plus +39

I am running Displaylink 7.73M3 (7.7.59503.0)

I have attempted to uninstall and re-install all drivers by first using the Uninstall from the Programs & Features, immediately followed by the DL_install_cleaner tool.

What is odd is that the displaylink and Surface "see" the monitor (and I can configure it in the Screen Resolution), the monitor shows signal (I am not getting a signal loss message on the monitors) but no display, juts a blank screen. Even if I select "identify" I get no response on the monitors.

In fact I have been able to get all 3 monitors to show signal (and appear in the screen resolution menu for positioning) but alas no display (just black)

I saw reference of a support tool would that information be helpful?

Not sure of the next steps would be? Thanks in advance!

Wim
02-06-2015, 03:12 PM
I'm assuming you are using a USB hub to connect both of the adapters to the Surface? If so, is the hub externally powered?

I suspect it might be that the adapters cannot all get enough power and the video or the DDR memory cannot be fully powered on the adapter.

Wim

boldt
02-06-2015, 03:36 PM
Thanks Wim.
Yes the Dynadock U3.0 is an externally powered USB 3 powered hub (with a displayLink embeded). However even if I connect one of the EVGA UV Plus +39 (which are not externally powered) directly into the surface's USB port I get the same result (the monitor gets a signal but no display).

I have also attached a support file which I hope will provide some insight into the issue.

boldt
02-06-2015, 10:49 PM
UPDATE -

Turned out that while I thought the surface had been fully updated, there was in fact a firmware update available. Once that was installed I am happy to report that all 3 displaylink adapters are working as they should.

Consider this issue resolved.