PDA

View Full Version : Bug 7.7m3

jumpingjackflash
01-29-2015, 01:05 PM
First - a major bug exists with the DisplayLink Software. When I removed, and ran the cleaner to be sure - then reinstalled I can no longer see my static ip4 settings. (They are there with ipconfig on command prompt but you can't see them in gui and when you reboot they are blank again) After hours I found a registry key is the cause - the only software to touch this key is DisplayLink. The key is
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Network and the key is config. You must manually delete the config key and then reboot the system. Windows then rebuilds the key correctly.

Secondly I have an error Download and reinstall your USB display adapter. My displays are all functioning yet error remains.

I have an Dell XPS 12. This bug has been present for some time. I had to do a complete system refresh 3 months ago since Dell was unaware of the registry key issue and thought the stack was gone.

Wim
02-03-2015, 11:33 AM
I've raised a bug for the Ethernet issue. Does this only occur if you use the Cleaner? We'll try and reproduce.

What is the second error message you have?

Wim

straygecko
03-12-2015, 01:45 AM
Wow, thanks jumpingjackflash for posting this. I ran into a trouble upgrading from 7.7M3 to 7.7M4. I worked through it all except for my ethernet problems. The DisplayLink drivers were killing my laptop adapters (wired & wireless). They would connect but couldn't do anything. If they were connected when I installed the DisplayLink drivers they would stop passing packets. If I then rebooted then DHCP would fail. The only ethernet adapter that would work was the one in my DisplayLink dock (Plugable UD-3900). After reading this I deleted the config key and let Windows rebuild it and all works properly now.

For the DisplayLink folks to try to recreate here's some more details.

I have been running 7.7M3 with few problems for a couple of months. I had a few annoyances where I would lose displays overnight. Sounded like a resume from sleep bug fix in 7.7M4 might fix this. So I downloaded 7.7M4 and installed it.

After rebooting, the Screen Resolution settings displayed and one of my monitors showed up as "No monitor" instead of "Dell ST2410(HDMI)" with a recommended resolution of 1280x1024 instead of its native 1920x1080. And sound wasn't getting sent through that monitor like it should. I'm not sure if at this point the ethernet adapters quit working but I suspect that might be the case.

Trying to fix the monitor I decided to roll back to 7.7M3. I unplugged the dock, uninstalled DisplayLink Core & Graphics and rebooted then installed 7.7M3 and plugged the dock back in. Monitor still had the same problem.

I unplugged the dock, uninstalled DisplayLink Core & Graphics, ran the cleaner and rebooted. Then I installed 7.7M3 again and plugged the dock back in. Same problem.

I unplugged the dock, uninstalled and ran cleaner again and rebooted. Went into Device Manager and displayed hidden devices. Deleted all the monitors except for the active laptop display. Deleted everything else that said Plugable. Rebooted. Installed 7.7M3 again. Rebooted. Plugged the dock in. Same problem.

I unplugged the dock, uninstalled and ran cleaner again and rebooted. Went into Device Manager and displayed hidden devices. Deleted all the monitors except for the active laptop display. Deleted everything else that said Plugable. Rebooted. Installed 7.7M3 again. Rebooted. Unplugged the monitors from the dock. Unplugged the power cable from the dock and plugged it back in. Plugged the dock into my laptop. Plugged monitors back into dock. Display identified correctly as "Dell ST2410(HDMI)" with the proper native resolution recommended and sound worked properly through the display. Thought I was done. Brought up Firefox and it failed to connect to anything (network cable was plugged directly to laptop). ipconfig /renew - DHCP fails. Connect wireless to router successfully. But can't get to anything. DHCP had failed again. Reboot and problem persists. Uninstall DisplayLink Core & graphics, run cleaner and reboot. Wired & wireless working properly again.

Reinstall 7.7M3. Displays working fine. Laptop adapters failing again. Move ethernet cable to dock. Dock ethernet adapter works fine - gets it IP address from DHCP and I can connect to internet sites. Find this thread, delete config key, move ethernet cable back to laptop, reboot. Adapter working fine. Connect wireless adapter to router and it works fine.

Hope that helps tracking down the bug.