PDA

View Full Version : Blank Displays Using Win 8.1 & Surface Pro 3

NickMcg
01-11-2015, 11:44 PM
I have a Display Link device from Targus, "Beyond HD" Model ACA039US. A few weeks ago, this suddenly stopped working. I am not certain what triggered it. The whole set up appears to be working normally except nothing is displayed on the additional screen (s). The system thinks the display is there. I can move the pointer on and off it and I can move windows onto the dark display. I am sure I could get them back again if I could find them again (just did so using Move).

I followed you instructions to clean up and reload the latest drivers, i.e. uninstall, reboot, use EndUserCleanup, reboot, reinstall latest drivers, reboot, no change to symptoms.

My system is a MS Surface Pro 3 running Windows 8.1. All software is up to date. The DisplayLink software appears to be installed correctly as it appears on the list of installed applications and the software responds normally from the System Tray. The DisplayLink service running as verified in the Task Manager Services list. Name is DisplayLinkService and status is Running. The USB device appears in device manager as Targus USB3.0 Dual Video Adapter.

The USB device itself appears to have booted correctly with Video Adapter Properties Hardware Ids as follows:

USB\VID_17E9&PID_4306&REV_0034&MI_00
USB\VID_17E9&PID_4306&MI_00

The latest DisplayLink driver is installed as described above. Date on driver file was 23 Dec 2014. The version on the DisplayLink Manager popup is 7.7.59503.0.

Presumably I have the latest USB 3.0 host controller driver installed as Windows 8.1 is up to date with both mandatory and optional updates. Intel HD Graphics 5000 driver version is 10.18.10.3496 which is the latest from MS.

Using DisplayLink Support Tool, Compatibility Check I get:

Pass: Basic mode support
Pass: Device attached
Pass: Device started correctly
Pass: Graphics driver date
Pass: WEI is above recommended 3
Pass: No Other USB graphics software installed

I am a bit out of ideas at this point so I am attaching the support information created by the support tool.

JamesH
01-12-2015, 04:04 AM
Hi,

I'll try and replicate this when I get back to the office (I also use this Targus product).

Can I ask if you've previously used the Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter or another WiDi adapter?

Thanks,
James

JP2015
01-12-2015, 02:13 PM
The solution posted by Bernie from Plugable worked great for me, here is his post: http://www.displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?p=76120

I would surmise that even if you use a different manufacture's dock (but it's still based on the DisplayLink chipset) then upgrading the base video card driver (IntelHD Graphics Family for the Surface) would still be the solution.

It worked for me - and I had the same symptoms you describe.

Note that while the download package listed on the Plugable site here: http://plugable.com/2014/12/03/how-to-manually-update-windows-intel-hd-graphics-drivers
...says v15.36.7.64.3960
After installation on my Surface Pro 3, the Intel driver reported by device manager is v10.18.10.3960
...I think this is normal, there is other Intel software (like the tray icon thing) that is v15... but the actual hardware driver is still v10...

NickMcg
01-12-2015, 08:16 PM
JamesH: No I haven't used the Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter or another WiDi adapter. Let me know if there is anything else you need.

JP2015: Thanks for that, I will have a look. BTW updating the MS supplied Intel HD Graphic 5000 driver with the Intel version is not recommended as MS have tweaked the supplied drivers for Surface Pro 3.

NickMcg
01-12-2015, 08:23 PM
From Berne's post: Since about mid-November, Microsoft appears to be deploying a Windows Update just to the Surface Pro 1/2/3 that causes DisplayLink screens to go blank, even though all signs at the software level are that everything is fine.

I didn't get my Surface Pro 3 until about the 22nd Dec. A day to set up etc. Then hit by the Windows Updates. Screens all go blank. Yes, I think the timing works and it sounds like the Nov driver update from MS is the issue.

NickMcg
01-12-2015, 08:45 PM
JamesH

I did another test last night with a different DisplayLink device using the same Surface Pro 3. Same problem so it doesn't seem to be tied to any particular DisplayLink device.

From the Bernie post (another sufferer) referenced in JP2015's post, I would suggest to replicate the problem you need a Surface Pro 3 with the latest display drivers from MS (November Update).

So who is going to fix this, DisplayLink or Microsoft? Or will we get the blame game?

JP2015
01-13-2015, 06:33 PM
From NickMcg: "updating the MS supplied Intel HD Graphic 5000 driver with the Intel version is not recommended as MS have tweaked the supplied drivers for Surface Pro 3"

...who the ***** sold you on that BS. Drinking the MS kool-aid are we?

It's MS fault that the Intel driver "update" they "delivered" to Surface owners in November via Windows Update is causing the display will go blank problem.

...perhaps MS just wants you to buy their $200 dock instead? as a "solution" to this problem.

I've put the newer Intel driver on no less than 25 Surfaces and am not having any problem, with video performance, battery life, or otherwise. This is just another case of the train wreck that is Windows Update - either it's providing to little to late, or it's providing something already broken.

NickMcg
01-14-2015, 01:49 AM
...who the ***** sold you on that BS. Drinking the MS kool-aid are we?

Intel,actually. From an Intel person on an Intel forum:

The Intel HD Graphics drivers for the Surface Pro* 3 are customized by Microsoft* specifically to give the best possible experience on the Surface Pro 3 for the user. I would strongly recommend only using the Intel HD Graphics drivers found on the Microsoft support site for the Surface Pro 3 ...

See https://communities.intel.com/thread/55153

I am just a user who needs his system to earn his daily bread. I can't afford to ignore such advice, kool-aid or not.

JamesH
01-18-2015, 09:10 PM
Hi,

I've heard the January 2015 update for the Surface Pro tablets fixes this issue.

Details on the contents of the update are here:
http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/support/install-update-activate/pro-3-update-history

The update itself is available here:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=38826

Thanks,
James

NickMcg
01-19-2015, 08:32 AM
James,

Thanks for that. I will give it a go.

Nick