PDA

View Full Version : Adobe and DisplayLink?

Jordantimber
11-09-2014, 10:01 AM
We have several computers in our division that exhibit the following behavior - and the commonality is that they are all running DisplayLink software. Was wondering if anyone else has seen this behavior and can make constructive comment on it.

When viewing a PDF file, a gray box will open up that looks similar to a progress meter. It has no title, no text, no close gadget, and nothing happens in it. It cannot be closed (no close gadget, doesn't respond to right-clicking the icon in the task bar and selecting close). Users that I have spoken to about it basically move it out of the way or otherwise leave it alone until they restart the PC.

It is tied to the Adobe Reader task bar icon - if you hover your pointer above the icon, you get a thumbnail view of what windows that app has open, and you get a thumbnail of the progress bar window.

I have personally seen this on one computer, and when I went into Task Manager to see if I could quit the program that way, there was six instances of Adobe Reader running. I shut them all down and when I got to the fourth instance and closed it the gray box disappeared.

Like I say, the commonality for us is that this only seems to happen on PC's running DisplayLink software. Could be Windows 8 or 8.1, could be a Microsoft Surface or a Dell XPS 12 or one of a couple of other models, could be a Targus or an Asus VariDrive docking system that uses DL. The installs of Acrobat Reader are of the current version.

Has anyone else run across this? Thanks in advance for any input in troubleshooting.