PDA

View Full Version : How to Downgrade Displaylink Firmware DL-165?

jsilver
08-10-2014, 09:59 AM
I've got a DL-165 and it was working on linux, but then I connected it to a windows computer, and the Windows DisplayLink drivers 7.6M2 updated the firmware automatically without asking me. And now my DL-165 device does not report the type of monitor or available modes (resolutions) in Linux correctly. (kernel 3.14.1 with udl kernel driver)

Now my 23" 1920x1080 monitor gets detected in Linux as 105" monitor with a max res of 1024x768 :(

I've tried using a windows computer with the oldest possible windows displaylink driver installed (version 5.6M1 that says it will automatically update the firmware). It works on the windows computer at 1920x1080 but it is still not recognized correctly by the linux computer.

It's a real pain to use Displaylink on Linux and it's very disappointing that Displaylink doesn't provide the Linux driver developers with the required information so they can make drivers that work well.
As soon as there is a USB display competitor that supports Linux with open source drivers, I'm moving.

Wim
08-13-2014, 04:48 PM
The firmware in the DL-165 family is never updated. It is only the USB 3.0 DL-3xxx products that update the firmware. Connecting the adapter to 7.6 M2 would have made no difference to the firmware in the adapter, so I don't know what has caused the change of behaviour on Linux.

Wim