PDA

View Full Version : another observation

alphadog
08-06-2014, 04:58 PM
I have rearranged and I am now using one monitor via my Dynadock and no monitor with the mini-displayport. The result is actually worse then if I had the second monitor via mini-display port.

After screen lock, google chrome will be corrupted until i mouse over it (on the display link monitor) and the menu bar has the apple icon in the middle over other icons. This behavior doesn't exist when there is an external monitor via display port.

Finally the laptop screen has some miniturized finder screenshot type artifact - but it is not anything i can interact with - it is just stuck on the screen.

alphadog
08-14-2014, 10:20 PM
Only a reboot gets rid of these thumbnail type artifacts.

Any news on an update to the driver? I almost wish you never supported OS X at all as the experience is nothing like Windows.

Carlo
08-15-2014, 09:15 AM
Hi Alphadog,

The menu icon is a known issue in Mavericks.

I think we can do something about the Chrome corruption but we have not seen this in our testing.
Are you just unlocking the screen? Is this after resuming from sleep or in other circumstances?
Is the corruption on the whole screen or only in part of it?

The content on the laptop screen is most worrying though. Can you please take a screenshot of the screens (command-control-shift-3) when it happens?
I would expect the screenshot not to capture the Chrome corruption so no need to capture that.

Thank you,
Carlo

alphadog
08-15-2014, 04:32 PM
The chrome corruption is after unlocking, or while dragging the chrome window over to the display link monitor - jagged horizontal lines. It doesn't happen all the time, but when it does I will take a photo.

The artifacts have occurred 2 times - no idea why, but next time, I will get a screen shot.

alphadog
08-15-2014, 10:42 PM
Here is a picture of the chrome corruption - when I unlock the screen the entire chrome page will look like the horizontal lines in the top of the picture, mousing or dragging a window will change this:

alphadog
08-15-2014, 10:48 PM
As for the artifact issue - I finally figured it out. It is reproducible, and does not happen on my second system (work machine has external monitor via displayport)

Open finder, make sure tab bar is visible (view - show tab bar)

Now drag the finder window, but do it from the tab bar. On my other mac, this creates a new finder window from that tab. On a display link machine (either the laptop display, or external) it creates these weird artifacts and no finder window. Basically you are dragging and dropping a tab on the desktop - this moves the whole finder to a new spot on a DL machine. On a non-DL machine you get 2 windows.

My guess is that I may be able to turn off animations and see real finder windows - there is no way to interact or move these artifacts, so i am not sure if they are real or not. The image is a 4" square area - so each artifact is about 1" square.

EDIT - relaunching finder deletes these artifacts.

alphadog
08-16-2014, 03:13 AM
I did some more research and others have reported the finder bug. It does NOT appear to be display link related. One user claimed creating a new account on the same machine solved the issue, so it seems to be user profile related more then machine related.

Sorry for what appears to be a false alarm.

Google search on "drag Finder tab bug" will give some youtube vids as well.

Carlo
08-16-2014, 08:17 AM
I did some more research and others have reported the finder bug. It does NOT appear to be display link related. One user claimed creating a new account on the same machine solved the issue, so it seems to be user profile related more then machine related.

Sorry for what appears to be a false alarm.

Google search on "drag Finder tab bug" will give some youtube vids as well.

Thank you Alphadog,

It's all useful information for our testers in case they find the same, thank you for doing the research for us and the other forum users as well!

We'll open a bug about the corruption. Having a picture of the failure to show around is a big help for this kind of products.

Cheers,
Carlo