PDA

View Full Version : 2.2 fixed the CPU overload issue for me

ThePolarCat
06-18-2014, 11:18 AM
Finally, the 2.2 Driver fixed the CPU overload issue

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2021441/DisplayLink-lowCPU.png

I have three monitors connected to my MBP, two of which are connected using two Kingston USB 2.0 adapters -DisplayLink chip, the DisplayLinkManager process v2.1 on Mavericks was using at-least 56% of the CPU at all times slowing down the computer and keeping the fans running loudly.

With the 2.2 driver it's operating normally now -with the other known issues of-course.

Good job!

alphadog
07-10-2014, 06:28 PM
I have sent in logs - still seeing CPU usage of unacceptable levels and only have one monitor connected via Dynadock. The other is connected via displayport - mainly so i can close the lid and not put the MBA to sleep.

I Hope you guys fix the CPU usage and other things.

Makes we want to go back to windows - Mac just can't handle multiple monitors well - even Thunderbolt is not a good solution.

Carlo
07-11-2014, 08:03 AM
I have sent in logs - still seeing CPU usage of unacceptable levels and only have one monitor connected via Dynadock. The other is connected via displayport - mainly so i can close the lid and not put the MBA to sleep.

I Hope you guys fix the CPU usage and other things.

Makes we want to go back to windows - Mac just can't handle multiple monitors well - even Thunderbolt is not a good solution.

Hi Alphadog,

The logs won't contain CPU usage.
Can you please find out how much CPU do DisplayLinkManager and DisplayLinkUserAgent use in the following cases:
- No DisplayLink devices connected
- One DisplayLink device connected, monitor active but no updates on the monitor
- One DisplayLink device connected, monitor active and full screen video running on the monitor (please state the resolution)

Cheers,
Carlo

alphadog
07-11-2014, 12:37 PM
Hi Alphadog,

The logs won't contain CPU usage.
Can you please find out how much CPU do DisplayLinkManager and DisplayLinkUserAgent use in the following cases:
- No DisplayLink devices connected
- One DisplayLink device connected, monitor active but no updates on the monitor
- One DisplayLink device connected, monitor active and full screen video running on the monitor (please state the resolution)

Cheers,
Carlo

laptop open, minidisplay monitor disconnected, dynadock connected:

- No display link devices connected - i did this last 0.0%
- One display link connected - nothing on monitor (menu icons only) 59.9%
- one display link connected - full screen video on monitor - about 62.5% - monitor is 1080P, This is with VLC. With iTunes, Displaymanager is 60%, but Windowmanager is also 60%. VLC video is 636 x 480, Itunes video 853 x 354

Plugging display link back in -

-one display with nothing on it other then menu bar. jumps back to 60%

alphadog
07-17-2014, 12:38 PM
Displaylink was at 90% CPU and Distnoted was at 120% this AM - i plugged my MBA into the Dynadock and this was the result. I disconnected everything and removed power from Dynadock and plugged it all back in now Displaymanager is running between 8 and 10% with content on the DL screen and MBA lid closed.

I hope you figure out how to make it do this all the time.

ThePolarCat
07-17-2014, 12:56 PM
On occasion -after the fix, the displaylinkmanager process uses 50 to 60 CPU on idle. What I do is I kill the process then it automatically restarts, the screens reconnects and the usage goes back to normal.

2 monitors connected via Kingston adapters
1 monitor connected to the display port.
3 x 1080 resolution.

Carlo
07-17-2014, 04:05 PM
Thank you for the information, it looks like we have an additional issue. I'm opening a bug with alphadog's information

Cheers,
Carlo

alphadog
07-17-2014, 04:50 PM
I wonder if wake from sleep is the culprit? Right now CPU usage for everything that causes problems is nice and low and has been since I did the above. I will leave activity monitor up and see if i can pinpoint what triggers the high CPU usage. Normally I only notice it when the fan starts running.

jimmy927
09-08-2014, 08:05 AM
Displaylink was at 90% CPU and Distnoted was at 120% this AM - i plugged my MBA into the Dynadock and this was the result. I disconnected everything and removed power from Dynadock and plugged it all back in now Displaymanager is running between 8 and 10% with content on the DL screen and MBA lid closed.

I hope you figure out how to make it do this all the time.

I have the same issue.

Displaylink driver seems to trigger distnoted to use ~90% CPU.
Problem will persist until i disconnect the displaylink adapter and connect it again.

Same issue on my Displaylink at work and at home that are different models.
I think i have a DL-195 at work and a DL-3700 at home.

Carlo
09-09-2014, 08:05 AM
The only reproduction we have so far is with Chrome and it notification icon triggering extremely frequent updates for unknown reasons.
Can you please report which applications are open when you see the issue? If you use Chrome can you try to hide its notification icon? (Chrome menu -> Hide Notifications Icon)

Cheers,
Carlo

nolan23
09-09-2014, 06:08 PM
The only reproduction we have so far is with Chrome and it notification icon triggering extremely frequent updates for unknown reasons.
Can you please report which applications are open when you see the issue? If you use Chrome can you try to hide its notification icon? (Chrome menu -> Hide Notifications Icon)

Cheers,
Carlo

Having the same problem. CPU load ~55% on Macbook Pro 2.4 Core Duo
Hiding chrome icon does not help.
Also I closed google disk, dropbox, punto switcher, growl, evernote clipper,
bluetooth and wifi.
Switching notifications to "do not disturb" also doesnt help.
I can give any information to developers to fix this bug.
Mac os 10.9.4
USB 2.0 Display adaptor VVS-UG17D1 ReV.B.22

alphadog
09-09-2014, 07:23 PM
I use Google hangouts and and other extensions - they have little flyout windows, and I suspect they are responsible for high CPU and crashes of window server.

platetone
10-16-2014, 03:59 PM
I had no idea registration for a forum could be made that difficult. Truly impressive.

I am seeing this overloaded CPU thing again with the distnoted and DisplayLinkManager processes going crazy now almost every morning when I hook up my DisplayLink adapter. It was fine for a long time with OSX 10.9.4 and the DisplayLink 2.2 drivers, but after upgrading to OSX 10.9.5 last week, it's happening nearly every time I resume from sleep.

I just noticed there are 2.3 Beta drivers. I'll try those out and follow up if it's any better after a few days...

platetone
10-27-2014, 01:41 PM
Just had this happen again this morning after upgrading to the latest beta drivers last week... distnoted goes nuts and causes CPU spikes and fan spin ups. I have to disconnect the DisplayLink device and wait about five minutes. If I just try to plug it right back in, or immediately into a different USB port, nothing happens. Dang! I was really hoping the new drivers might magically fix this.

Carlo
10-29-2014, 06:20 AM
The only reproduction we have so far of the high CPU is connected to a notification icon for Chrome suddenly starting to update at rates much higher than 60Hz.
Maybe it's connected...
I found an interesting post here:
http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/111197/runaway-distnoted-process

Can you think about any specific application you are using?

Carlo