PDA

View Full Version : High CPU usage with 2.2 Beta

alphadog
04-11-2014, 12:11 PM
I am using the 2.2 Beta with one HDMI monitor on my Toshiba Dynadock. Many times i find that DisplayLinkManager is using 60% CPU. Unplugging the USB connection to the Dynadock and then plugging it back in seems to fix things for a while.

Looking forward to the next release of DisplayLink and OS X 10.9.3 - maybe this can get fixed and I can plug 2 monitors back in.

alphadog
04-11-2014, 03:08 PM
On a side note, 10.9.3 13D38 came out a couple of days ago - has anyone tried it with DisplayLink?

alphadog
04-18-2014, 09:18 PM
Another issue i discovered....

Today I bumped my Dynadock and the one monitor connected to it went into power down, and some external drives were "disconnected without being unmounted first" - no wires came unplugged, but powering off and the dynadock and unplugging the USB cable had no effect, so I rebooted my Mac (Mid 2013 MBA 13") and everything is back to normal.

Except my machine doesn't sleep - screen doesn't timeout after 15 minutes. Screen saver should kick in at 10 minutes and it doesn't either.

Using 2.2 beta with 10.9.2

EddieMa
04-19-2014, 05:04 PM
Is there enough stuff plugged into the dock, that there is insufficient power to run them all?

I know it sounds like a trivial problem, but I've had weird disconnecting issues over USB before when my hubs were underpowered.

It's scariest during a power outage with a laptop, since the laptop keeps running, and all of a sudden -- half a dozen disconnecting alerts pop up on screen.

alphadog
04-21-2014, 01:18 AM
Is there enough stuff plugged into the dock, that there is insufficient power to run them all?

I know it sounds like a trivial problem, but I've had weird disconnecting issues over USB before when my hubs were underpowered.

It's scariest during a power outage with a laptop, since the laptop keeps running, and all of a sudden -- half a dozen disconnecting alerts pop up on screen.

The dock has its own power supply. One HDD plugged in also has its own full size power supply, and the other items are an SSD (USB 3.0 - no power supply) and one monitor with its own power supply.... The only thing that could draw power is the SSD - but the dock has 6 USB ports, so it should be able to supply power just fine.

Everett
04-23-2014, 12:56 AM
On a side note, 10.9.3 13D38 came out a couple of days ago - has anyone tried it with DisplayLink?

If you'd like to try 10.9.3, Apple has just released it to non-devlopers:
https://appleseed.apple.com/sp/betaprogram

For me at least, I can use more than 1 USB display reliably, without rendering issues. I have to "re-arrange" all my displays on basically every USB unplug/replug and certainly on reboots, but for me at least, things have improved to be pretty usable if you can live with constantly re-arranging displays.

Best wishes-

Jeff Everett
Plugable Techologies

xylus
04-30-2014, 10:08 AM
There is still CPU usage when the DisplayLink device is disconnected.
DisplayLinkManager uses around 3% CPU even when disconnected.

This keeps the CPU on higher speed and uses battery.

Can anybody else confirm this problem? (BTW.: Same problem on older driver versions.)

Carlo
05-01-2014, 09:33 AM
Hi,

I can confirm that we're seeing too much CPU usage, especially when the USB device is disconnected.
We'll improve this in the next release

Cheers,
Carlo