PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive I/O writes (constantly)

nobilis
11-14-2013, 04:52 PM
Hello,
I am wondering if it is to be expected that the displaylinkmanager.exe will constantly write to the hard disk ( viewing I/O writes in the taskmanager program ) if the connected monitor is engaged actively (with mouse movement, screen activity etc.). This is what mine does when I am actively using the monitor. otherwise it does not have this behaviour if it is connected, but not being actively used. I am trying to narrow down performance issues and this is one suspect. Thanks.

walkeer
12-11-2013, 12:02 PM
I have exactly the same issue. I am using Lenovo USB 3.0 docking station (2x DVI, Gb Ethernet, 5x USB 3.0 hub) with latest firmware on Samsung 780z5e and I had the issue with 7.4M2 and also I have it now with 7.5M0. I am running windows 8.1 x64. It seems that there is some infinite loop which is doing something with the registry. According to Task Manager, the DisplayLinkManager.exe did 85k writes (I/O writes), writing around 5GB (I/O write bytes) of data over period of just 10 minutes.

Please find attached screenshot from process manager and also attached support information from your tool. Many thanks for your kind support.

P.S.: is is possible that these writes are related to the USB device rather than to disk writes?

DaMiBu
05-13-2014, 10:00 AM
Did you get this fixed?

I have same issue with DisplayLinkManager.exe slowing down a laptop with excessive disk writes. Laptop is a new Dell XPS 14 with 8GB RAM running Windows 8.1 64bit.

Tried re installing, uninstalling using the client clean utility and just tried updating to 7.6 and same issues.

Did you find a solution to this?

Thanks!

JamesH
05-29-2014, 03:27 PM
Hi,

Have you turned on advanced logging with our DisplayLink support tool in the past?

Are there a lot of files being updated in c:\program files\DisplayLink core software\debug\?

Thanks,
James

kwatson
09-18-2014, 03:19 PM
I know this is a very old thread but was this issue ever resolved? I have just had to delete 22GB of Log Files from the Debug folder - even though I have turned Logging to OFF in the Support tool.

JamesH
09-19-2014, 09:06 AM
Hi,

I've replied to you through the ask a question system.

Thanks
James

ahmad87
03-24-2015, 02:45 PM
Hi, I have the same issue and I'm using version 7.7 of the displayLinkManager. Is there any fix?
I have the issue with high rate of IO write for the displayLinkManager.

lsv
04-24-2015, 01:57 AM
hello, i have just deleted 240gb of files, turned off advanced today and still creates a file every 20 seconds - updated to newest software too. does anyone have a solution?

Wim
04-30-2015, 02:59 PM
hello, i have just deleted 240gb of files, turned off advanced today and still creates a file every 20 seconds - updated to newest software too. does anyone have a solution?

You will need to turn off advanced logging in the debug tool:

http://kb.displaylink.com/269

Wim

lsv
04-30-2015, 08:58 PM
I did turn off advanced logging - still doing it.

chaoscreater
09-18-2015, 09:14 AM
same issue, running v7.9 atm on HP Elitebook 840 G2

Robert.Hutzel
03-09-2016, 09:39 PM
This might be a misunderstanding. It might be that the Task Manager I/O write byte totals are also taking USB bus traffic into account. When my mouse is moving over the laptop’s screen, DisplayLink I/O is low. Moving the mouse around an external monitor causes lots of I/O. Meanwhile, the hard disc write speed in Task Manager is generally quiet and does not spike the way I/O write bytes does.