PDA

View Full Version : Not all is broken in Mavericks...

Nigel
10-30-2013, 11:52 AM
This forum seems to only have bad stories about Mavericks, but there are people out there with working solutions.

My home desk I have a Macbook Air (2013) running these external screens:

1 * Dell 30" via TB to DVI-D converter
1 * Dell 24" via StarTech USB3 Display Link at 1920*1200
1 * Dell 22" via Climax Digital USB3 Display Link (connected via a USB2 extension atm) at 1680*1050
1* Iiyama 18" via Kensington USB2 Display Link at 1280*1024

So this is a setup with 3 DL adapters, at a different resolutions via different adapters using different speed USB connections. Some are connected via USB hubs, some are direct.

The only problem I had was when I first connected things. I re-installed the 2.1 Beta driver, and everything has been recognised fine since then.

There are only 2 problems I currently have:

1.) Laggy mouse (due to be fixed with the 2.1 proper release)
2.) Doesn't remember the positions of the screens across reboots (big deal).

I just have to be careful which apps I put on the DL screens at the moment so that I'm not bothered by the mouse lag. It's obviously not as good as ML, but for a couple of weeks, I'm not bothered. There are always problems when Apple brings out a new OS, so people should be aware of that and not jump in if they are bothered about it. It's not ideal, but it's a fact of life.

Sorry to those that can't use them at present for whatever reason, but I didn't want everyone visiting this forum thinking that no-one could use them at all.

Ready for the flaming that is no doubt coming my way...

gilesmartin
10-30-2013, 12:04 PM
Don't get too comfortable. I, like you, tried to "live with it" for two weeks. At first it was laggy but liveable as long as I didn't put anything critical on the display. Unfortunately the quality seems to degrade over time until windows won't display at all. This happened after a few days.

Ps: I was running the GM with this driver from the day it was released.

Nigel
10-30-2013, 12:12 PM
Cross fingers then. I've been working on this setup since Sunday. Will update this post if I find it degrades.

MartinPlaza
10-30-2013, 09:16 PM
Apart from a disconcerting effect of nt being able to spread a window/application across screens - only one screen shows the part on it - I am having no problems with Maverick and DisplayLink. SO FAR!

itadmincrbc
10-31-2013, 03:35 AM
Yeah except not only is the MOUSE laggy but the video performance is absolutely dreadful. You forgot to mention that. And I don't know how you know that this is going to be fixed in 2.1. Please advise.