PDA

View Full Version : Latest displaylink drivers break lenovo dock 7.2 M1

dhodgin
05-27-2013, 09:03 PM
I have an Asus Zenbook UX32VD and am using a Lenovo USB 3.0 dock since November 2012 and this think has not worked correctly since installing windows 8.

On Windows 7 it was ok with 2 attached monitors, keyboard, mouse, and 1 GB Ethernet hooked up.

As soon as I upgraded to Windows 8 it never worked properly again.

I've tried every release of the software since 6.0 and each time it gets worse and worse.

In 7.1 and 7.2 it would work for about 3-5 minutes and then start going fuzzy and it would disconnect the entire device from the machine and blank all the monitors for about 30 seconds making the windows sounds for devices disconnecting and reconnecting about 12 times in a row and then the screens would work again for maybe 45 seconds and it would cycle over and over again.

Today I installed the 7.2 M1 drivers after uninstalling the old 7.2 drivers and now when I connected the dock to my usb 3.0 port it just makes all screens go black and shows nothing and the laptop screen flickers from picture to black about 20 times then goes solid black permanently.

Once I unplug the dock the laptop screen turns back on.

I've be waiting for 4 months for the windows 8 issues to be resolved and they just get worse with every update.

Could my dock could be defective? The usb ports and Ethernet dont even work long term if I disconnect the monitors and plug one in to my laptops HDMI separately from the dock. The Ethernet will eventually disconnect as well after maybe an hour. plugging in monitors to the dock just speeds up the process of failure.

Just now as I typed this forum post I got a windows taskbar bubble saying 'USB device not recognized' and my keyboard and mouse stopped working from the dock. Every 60 seconds the keyboard and mouse stop working for about 5 seconds constantly.

Have other people been having the same problems on windows 8 with the latest 7.2 M1 update?

I had a Targus usb3.0 dock that used displaylink drivers and it never worked properly at all on windows 7. I upgraded for $60 more to this Lenovo and it worked on win7 but has not worked properly at all on win8 ever.

dhodgin
05-27-2013, 09:34 PM
I have my logs generated for debugging with the Displaylink Support tool but I'm not sure which files you need posted and where. I'd rather not attach the zip file publicly it contains personal information.

JamesH
05-28-2013, 09:22 AM
Hi,

It's worth checking to see if there's a new version of the firmware for the USB hub in your dock - have a look at the support section of your dock manufacturer's website.

Let me know how you get on.

Thanks,
James

dhodgin
05-31-2013, 06:18 PM
Lenovo has a firmware upgrade from dec 2012 and a new driver since May 22 which included 7.2 M1. When i run the firmware it says no device attached because the device just keeps cycling through connecting and disconnecting so it cant reliably update the firmware.

Uninstalling the 7.2 M1 drivers stops the disconnects and shows a Lenovo dock in the device managed with drivers missing but the firmware upgrade wont work unless the drivers are installed.

catch 22.

I'm contacting Lenovo for a warranty return.

sdeviller
06-05-2013, 03:26 PM
Hello,

i believe I have the same issue. We have a new Lenovo Twist, Windows 8 64bit, and Lenovo USB 3 Port replicator.

The port replicator constantly connects and disconnects, sometimes if you leave it, it will start working properly, but eventually stops again.

I have removed and re-installed all drivers for the replicator and the system.

I have already contacted Lenovo and had the port replicator replace, but same issue with new device.

Hoping somebody has some insight into this.

Thank you

JamesH
06-05-2013, 04:32 PM
Hi,

Can you attach the logs as described here:
http://www.displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=896

Thanks,
James

krisha
06-13-2013, 01:09 PM
Same issue on Win7 x64. Described it on different thread also.

Played with several Intel USB3.0 drivers - no success.
Updated USB hub with firmware from Lenovo 2012 - no success.
Used official Lenovo drivers (little bit older than those you can get here) - no success.
Not related with any attached devices - even with none connected it is same behaviour.

On first run it works for ~20 minutes. Then looping unrecognized & reconnection.

Is my dock defective?

Will do now the debugging steps and supply you the results.

krisha
06-13-2013, 01:47 PM
attached my logs.
password I'll sent you by PM.

JamesH
06-17-2013, 01:02 PM
Hi,

I'm not sure what USB 3.0 host controller drivers you have tried but can you try the latest (v1.0.8.251)?

Thanks,
James

krisha
06-22-2013, 08:15 AM
Hi,

I'm not sure what USB 3.0 host controller drivers you have tried but can you try the latest (v1.0.8.251)?

Thanks,
James

I tried this version and also some others. None solved the issue. In meanwhile I sent it back for replacement. Could it be that it is related to Nvidia GT650M drivers?

dhodgin
06-25-2013, 04:25 PM
Id like to know your secret to getting a replacement under warranty.

I contacted Lenovo and the customer service was horrible. I opened a ticket and they closed it without telling me and when I called back a week later when I didn't hear anything they said they wouldn't warranty it because it was because i didn't install the drivers? What??? i tried every driver there is.

They told me i would have to format my work pc and reinstall the drivers on windows 7 (CHANGE MY OS??!?!) and then if it didn't work they would send me a replacement and then i would have to reformat my computer again and reinstall everything.

Yeah right... like I'm going to do that. Idiots.

JamesH
06-25-2013, 11:15 PM
Hi,

I've sent you a private message.

Thanks,
James

dhodgin
06-28-2013, 07:08 PM
Plugged my dock into my machine today to try the 7.3 drivers and all it does is make my laptop screen flicker on an off repeatedly about 2-3 times per second and the external monitor doesn't come on.

Can't try the new drivers and I'm positive now the dock is bad.

krisha
06-28-2013, 08:29 PM
@dhodgin: I sent it back to my reseller. Lenovo will not provide me support as long as I do not try it on a Lenovo notebook (got this information on phone from Lenovo).

dhodgin
07-15-2013, 01:05 AM
I finally got a replacement and the replacement unit does the exact same thing.

I took the dock home and hooked it up to my home PC desktop and it works no problem so far with the 7.2 M1 drivers on windows 8 with 3 monitors (2 on PC, 1 on dock)

I was able to get the firmware updated on the dock via my PC and then uninstalled everything on my laptop, and ran the clean utility, then reinstalled the latest lenovo drivers with 7.2M1 then installed 7.3M1 and reconnected the dock to my laptop
same problem, laptop screen flashes repeatedly and the external monitor doesn't come on at all.

with just usb and Ethernet plugged into the dock it seems to be stable, as soon as i connect the external monitor DVI cable it flashes the laptop screen repeatedly and doesn't show anything on the external monitor.

it's just connecting and disconnecting the external monitor repeatedly over and over on the laptop. Stable on desktop PC

krisha
07-15-2013, 10:17 AM
I also got my dock back.

Lenovo did a 24hr test and did not face the problem :-(

When I connected the dock it was updating the firmware and except of 1 disconnection during 10 hours I did not face the problem anymore.

While it was at Lenovo I installed a different version of the Intel USB3 drivers for solving another another problem.

Later I installed DisplayLink version 7.3 and this also runs fine so far. (driver in device manager seems to be still 7.2)

So my conclusion so far:

Lenovo did something special with the dock
there is only 1 working version out of 5 USB3 drivers
maybe related to any Nvidia driver
operating temperature (before sending back I used it in ~30°C)

dhodgin
07-15-2013, 02:00 PM
Krisha, can I ask what OS you are using? Sounds like windows 7 if you are changing USB3 drivers. For windows 8 there is only the Microsoft provided driver I think.

I just updated to the NVidia 320.49 released on Jul 1. still no change, same problem.

krisha
07-15-2013, 10:12 PM
Krisha, can I ask what OS you are using? Sounds like windows 7 if you are changing USB3 drivers. For windows 8 there is only the Microsoft provided driver I think.

I just updated to the NVidia 320.49 released on Jul 1. still no change, same problem.

Yes, I'm using Win7 x64 Pro SP1. Currently using Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller 1.0.7.248 (which I got from Asus support to solve another problem). I'm using a Geforce GT 650M, driver version 9.18.13.2049 (320.49). Latest DisplayLink drivers showing 7.2.46733.0.

But... during writing this my screens were flickering again 10 times :( Only difference is that notebook was in suspend before and room temperature now is ~30°C again. I don't know what's going on :(

It might be also that just the Lenovo integrated hub is a bad product and it's not really related to displaylink.

edit: I have two LG L226WTQ connected to it.

krisha
07-17-2013, 07:35 PM
dhodgin, are you using the same external screen on desktop PC and on notebook?

In the meanwhile I did some experiments with cooling spray :-/ unsure if it helps.

I also did some searches on this forum. Seems a lot of people have unsolved problems with flashing/flickering. Can it be that this is related to any LCD controller inside the external monitors?

krisha
09-10-2013, 09:08 PM
update:

my issue is fixed with a new docking station, so probably was a hw fault.