PDA

View Full Version : No Ethernet after DisplayLink update

StanP50
05-18-2013, 05:29 PM
Hope someone has a solution for this. I am running Windows 8 Pro on an ASUS Vivobook Q200e attached to a Kensington sd3000v USB dock. Until this morning I had all the functionality of the dock working perfectly. HDMI for video via USB 3, audio via USB 2 connection, external hard drive via another USB 3 connection, wireless USB mouse and keyboard, and Ethernet from the docks Ethernet port through the primary USB connection to the Vivobook.

There was an update for DisplayLink in Microsoft Updates this morning which I applied, and since then I have no audio and no Ethernet through the Kensington Dock. I have attempted to uninstall the current drivers 7.2.47873.0 and reinstall the previous drivers 7.1M1 but they keep being updated and I can not get the Ethernet port back and functional. Also, there are two devices listed in the device manager indicating that there are no drivers loaded for these devices (DisplayLink Ethernet and DisplayLink Audio). Anyone know where I can find these drivers again, evidently they must have been present at one time and the update removed them.

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance with this...what a pain.

StanP50

jacekk
05-20-2013, 08:55 AM
Try to use USBDeview tool:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html.

First disconnect USB docking station and then run USBDeview tool to list all USB devices (Run As Administrator to be able to delete deivces).
Then remove all DisplayLink devices and re-install DisplayLink drivers.

StanP50
05-20-2013, 02:31 PM
Jacekk,

Thanks for the reply and the link, the utility worked great however the issue still persists.

After removing the USB instances with the utility, I uninstalled the DisplayLink core software and the Kensington app as well, rebooted and then reinstalled the original Kensington app.

Everything came up as it originally did, plugged in the Kensington dock, WALA...Ethernet and audio was restored, then in about 30 seconds the DisplayLink software updated itself again without my interaction or permission and I was back to square one..no Ethernet and no audio through the dock.

So, this morning I uninstalled the usb instances with the utility and all the apps again, but this time I did a complete registry cleaning of anything referencing DisplayLink and Kensington. Rebooted and then reinstalled the original Kensington software again. At this point I have not reconnected the dock again but will do so later today and see what's what.

It is clear that the new DisplayLink update does not contain any drivers for the audio and Ethernet and removes the originals that Kensington includes with their software for the dock....not a good thing at all.

If anyone from DisplayLink is monitoring this, I am not sure weather your company or Kensington are responsible for this issue, bit I have no doubt I will not be the only one having it. It would be a great idea if you folks could get your act together and put either a warning on the update to not install this if you are using the Kensington sd3000v or sd3500v docking stations, or put the drives back into the update, or create a separate update for this stations, or all of the above.

Will update this thread when I have seen if the reg. hack and reinstall worked later today.

Again, thanks for the reply and utility Jacekk,

StanP50
05-21-2013, 02:14 PM
:mad:

Well, that turned out to be a none fix.

After reattaching the dock last night, all came up as I had hoped, had ethernet through the dock as well as audio, but then as before the DisplayLink software went through and performed an automatic update to the Kensington app install without any interaction or notice and I was back to the original issue, no ethernet or audio through the dock.

Contacted Kensington support, they had me download ethernet drivers from their web site which were produced back in 2009 for a "Mini Dock", and had me add them to the system32 folder, but could not tell me which chipset was in the dock so that the proper drivers could be loaded, so as a result no ethernet and no audio.

Their solution is to send me a new dock, this of course will not solve the problem, as the same issue will persist.

Does anyone know if there is any support from DisplayLink, I can not find any options to contact these people on the site, or am I missing something.

Thanks again.

Wim
05-21-2013, 03:27 PM
Can you post your log files as described here:

http://kb.displaylink.com/269

Also, how do the audio and Ethernet device appear in device manager. Is there a Yellow "!" on them?

Wim

StanP50
05-21-2013, 06:00 PM
Thank you for the reply,

Have downloaded the debug tool and will run it tonight.

The devices in question DisplayLink Ethernet and DisplayLink Audio are listed with yellow exclamation points and the comment listed in the properties screen says that the drivers for this device are not loaded and the device can not start.

Do you want this tool run after the initial install of the Kensington drivers and during the auto update that the DisplayLink drivers do after a reboot or just after the entire update finishes and removes and disables the original install?

Henne
05-28-2013, 09:33 AM
Same Problem here. Win8-Enterprise 64bit. sadly did microsoft-update-Display-link-update and now Ethernet & Audio are dead (in device-manager with yellow "!").
Display link Support tool says:

Pass: Basic mode support
Pass: Device attached
Pass: Device started correctly
Pass: Graphics driver date
Pass: WEI is above recommended 3
Pass: No Other USB graphics software installed

Any Ideas?
tia, Henne...

JamesH
05-28-2013, 09:48 AM
Thank you for the reply,

Have downloaded the debug tool and will run it tonight.

The devices in question DisplayLink Ethernet and DisplayLink Audio are listed with yellow exclamation points and the comment listed in the properties screen says that the drivers for this device are not loaded and the device can not start.

Do you want this tool run after the initial install of the Kensington drivers and during the auto update that the DisplayLink drivers do after a reboot or just after the entire update finishes and removes and disables the original install?

Hi,

Please attach the logs from after the upgrade.

Thanks,
James

DireWolf
05-28-2013, 05:19 PM
Any info or assistance would be appreciated. I am using a Targus USB 3.0 with Power dock with a Dell XPS 12.

scm1000
05-29-2013, 07:23 PM
I started having the same problem with no Ethernet and audio yesterday. It happened after an auto update for displaylink drivers popped up on the screen. I did not click on the update yet it installed anyway. Immediately lost Ethernet connection and audio. Used a tool for a clean uninstall, and reinstalled the old drivers that came with my Dell Super Speed USB 3.0. Everything worked fine for 30 seconds. Auto update again, nothing I could do to stop the process. Lost Ethernet again. I have a Dell convertible 12 which does not come with an Ethernet port. I cannot connect to our company network rendering my laptop useless.:mad:

Is anyone at displaylink working on a solution?

Dell XPS convertible 12
Win 8 64bit Pro
Dell Super Speed Dock USB 3.0

DireWolf
06-05-2013, 02:12 PM
Any updates to this driver set to resolve Ethernet issues yet?

JamesH
06-05-2013, 04:46 PM
Hi,

Assuming you have a yellow exclamation mark against the drivers in Device Manager please try these steps:

Right click on device in device manager
Select Driver
Select Update Driver
Select Browse my computer for driver software
Select Browse
Enter C:\Program Files\DisplayLink Core Software\
Check Include subfolders
Select Next

If that doesn't produce the required result please unplug your device from your computer, unplug and replug the power to the device and reconnect the device to your computer.

Still having issues after this? Please post the logs as described here:
http://www.displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=896

Thanks,
James

DireWolf
06-05-2013, 07:23 PM
That looks to have fixed it - thanks!