PDA

View Full Version : Windows8 Dell USB 3.0 Dock freezes mouse, monitor, ethernet

Ruud
05-17-2013, 10:15 AM
Hi you all,

I love my new Dell USB Dock 3.0 on my Dell XPS 13 (Win 8 64 bits, FullHD 13 inch monitor version).

However I get multiple freezes every day when using it.

Sometimes they are minor freezes like 1 second mouse movement stalls, but larger freezes (10 seconds+) also occur. In these circumstances mouse movement is complete lost, ethernet connection drops and after a few seconds both my monitors go black. Then after 3-4 seconds laptop bleeps again and monitors are restored. Applications however show all windows on main monitor so I have to rearrange them again on the second monitor.

I downloaded the latest drivers today and are using them now (display adapter: 7.2.46733.0, displaylinkmanager 7.2.47873.0)

Had some minor mouse freezes already, none of the big monitor blackouts occurred so far. :)

Keep you posted on my results.

I saw other posts with debug information provided. How can I do something similar when I get the blackouts again?

Best regards,
Ruud

Wim
05-18-2013, 11:11 AM
For the ~1 sec see the dev build in this thread:

http://displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2070&page=9

The more serious issue seems to be the whole dock dropping off the USB bus. When this happens is it just the video, or do other devices connected to the dock do the same thing eg mouse, keyboard etc.

Trying to work out if it's our chip disconnecting or the Root USB 3.0 hub of the dock.

Oh - and the logs files can be gathered by following the steps in this article:

http://kb.displaylink.com/269

Wim

Ruud
05-21-2013, 07:24 AM
Thanks for the feedback Wim.
I set my power plan to 'high performance' to see if that allready helps with the occasional mouse stuttering

I didn't collect logfiles yet, will read article later on.

I do have one more clue to add to my story: after installing 7.2M1 I only had one event when monitors, ethernet, keyboard and mouse disconnected.
Keyboard: couldn't type, mouse: couldn't move, monitors went dark after a few seconds, and my application reported later that my network server had been disconnected.

The interesting thing is (maybe), I swapped my left and right mouse button a few hours before this event and after everything returned to 'normal' they had reverted to their normal usage from before I changed them..

Thanks again for the updates, going to check out the logfiles

Ruud
05-21-2013, 07:35 AM
Just installed the displaylink support tool and resetted my debug logs.
Doing this resulted in exactly the kind of 'black-out' event I get after a freeze-up: monitors going to black, pling-plong sounds etc.

Will post the logfiles when I get a freeze-up.

Ruud
05-21-2013, 11:48 AM
Hi,

I just had an black-out event and gathered the debugging information. I'm willing to send them to you, but preferably not by posting them to this public forum.. Is there another way?

Ruud
05-21-2013, 01:05 PM
where can I send the second debugging zip file? Perhaps in a private message to Wim?

JamesH
05-21-2013, 01:45 PM
Hi,

Just sent you a PM.

Thanks,
James

Ploddy
05-24-2013, 04:52 AM
Hi all,

I have exactly the same problem with exactly the same system (except I run Windows 7 Pro).

I am very interested in the outcome because I am at my wits end having to unplug and re-plug a couple of times a day (or restart).

My drivers are 7.2M1.

My key issues are:
- a 'stutter' every now and then with mouse movement
- a totally random screen 'freeze' where the 2x display link monitors stop working (I can see the last image on the monitors but are unresponsive). Laptop still works fine, but on the laptop screen only.
- Occasional 'blank screen' on the 2x displaylink monitors, seems to relate to activity over GigE, but not confirmed.

Any help would be most welcomed.

Ruud
05-24-2013, 06:58 AM
Hi Ploddy, Wim and James,

Just an heads-up: I looked at some reports that google chrome might also be to blame for the occasional mouse stuttering. That day, when hovering back and forth over some buttons in a webpage in chrome I did get mouse stutters every now and then. I could reproduce these in Firefox, but with much more difficulty.
I installed the chrome 27 update yesterday and haven't had a 'black-out' event since, allthough mouse stuttering still remains.
I'm using chrome quit heavily (I guess): playing streaming audio all day long. And I work in Eclipse most of the time also (java-based editor).

I hope Wim and James find some clue on what is going on from the logfiles I sent to them.

Best regards,
Ruud

Ruud
05-27-2013, 08:55 AM
Hi,

Just experienced a regular 'black-out' event after my upgrade to Chrome27
Some details:
- Using Eclipse Juno, Chrome27, FireFox, FileZilla, Thunderbird.
- Playing streaming audio via Beatport (on Chrome27).
- Connected to server with FileZilla aborted also as well as Eclipse connection to local-server:
Error: Disconnected from server: ECONNABORTED - Connection aborted

Ruud
05-28-2013, 10:02 AM
Hi James,

I just encountered another displaylink crash. This time the two screens went black, but weren't restored at all, so I had to turn to the display on my laptop to restore things to normal

After an service restart for the displaymanager, 2 things happened: the screens (and mouse etc) restored and an updated version was detected and downloaded and installed.
I had to do an system restart as well.

After the restart the second log-files were created just for reference (_115439.zip)
I sent the logfiles to the email address provided earlier

Ruud
05-28-2013, 10:09 AM
Hi James/Wim,

Just curious, did the logfiles I sent you arrive OK?
(especially the last 2 today because I was having some mail problems sending them out)

JamesH
05-28-2013, 02:09 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the update - I'm seeing something similar with Chrome 27 but haven't been able to reproduce it just yet.

Thanks,
James

uboel
05-29-2013, 06:01 AM
Hi,

Some time ago, I bought a Kensignton USB 3.0 Docking Station with Dual DVI/HDMI/VGA Video (sd3500v) and tested it on my Dell Vostro 5650 for a complete month without any kind of trouble.

Happy with the product, I bought another one for my boss when ordering his Dell XPS 13...but with his computer I ran into the same problems some other users encountered (black screens, network disconnections, usb disconnections).

After reading the posts from this forum, I installed the 7.2M1 version of your drivers and set the Windows 8 (64bits) power options plan to "High performance" instead of the default "Balanced".

My boss still complains about black screens appearing from time to time. When happening the only solution seems to reset the dock by unplugging both power cord and usb cable, waiting a couple of seconds and putting them in place...hopefully my boss is the patient kind! :)

Did you manage to spot the source of the problem? Is there a new driver beta version in progress that could solve this issue? Is there anything I can do to help you (like sending you debug logs)?

Kind regards,

Ulric Boël

ICT manager @ Produpress (Belgium)

JamesH
05-29-2013, 11:01 AM
Hi,

Some time ago, I bought a Kensignton USB 3.0 Docking Station with Dual DVI/HDMI/VGA Video (sd3500v) and tested it on my Dell Vostro 5650 for a complete month without any kind of trouble.

Happy with the product, I bought another one for my boss when ordering his Dell XPS 13...but with his computer I ran into the same problems some other users encountered (black screens, network disconnections, usb disconnections).

After reading the posts from this forum, I installed the 7.2M1 version of your drivers and set the Windows 8 (64bits) power options plan to "High performance" instead of the default "Balanced".

My boss still complains about black screens appearing from time to time. When happening the only solution seems to reset the dock by unplugging both power cord and usb cable, waiting a couple of seconds and putting them in place...hopefully my boss is the patient kind! :)

Did you manage to spot the source of the problem? Is there a new driver beta version in progress that could solve this issue? Is there anything I can do to help you (like sending you debug logs)?

Kind regards,

Ulric Boël

ICT manager @ Produpress (Belgium)

Hi,

Please run through this troubleshooting guide:
http://www.displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=896

It would also be useful to know what applications are running when the blank screen appears.

Thanks,
James

JamesH
05-29-2013, 05:07 PM
Hi James,

I just encountered another displaylink crash. This time the two screens went black, but weren't restored at all, so I had to turn to the display on my laptop to restore things to normal

After an service restart for the displaymanager, 2 things happened: the screens (and mouse etc) restored and an updated version was detected and downloaded and installed.
I had to do an system restart as well.

After the restart the second log-files were created just for reference (_115439.zip)
I sent the logfiles to the email address provided earlier

Hi,

Just to clarify, are you still seeing the blank screens with the latest DisplayLink software?

Thanks,
James

Ruud
05-30-2013, 10:03 AM
Hi James,
Yes I can confirm i'm still having 'black-outs' will send logfile.zip to the email address provided hereafter.
To me is seems the problem arises most of the time (perhaps all of the time) when starting to use a remote location, like connecting to an update site from my eclipse editor, or when my beatport (in chrome27) switches to the next song etc.

Ruud
05-30-2013, 10:11 AM
Hi,

UBoel: did you use the ethernet-port on the docking station at the time you tested it on the Dell Vostro 5650? My XPS doesn't have a normal ethernet port so i'm forced to use the one on the docking station..

Ruud
05-31-2013, 11:38 AM
See Logfiles I sent for details.
I just ahd another blaockt-out and I believe yesterday as well (which I didn't make seperate logfiles for)
Any luck finding the cause of this? (and possibly a solution?)

Ruud
05-31-2013, 04:04 PM
Hi Wim and James,

The last hour I suffered 3 black-outs in a row. This was highly annoying since I had to finish some work before the week-end.

Between these crashes I did not close/restart any programs and the black-outs are repeatedly happening when my system (8Gb) is using a lot of memory (around 4Gb)

Do you want me to turn on the more precise logging information???

Please help, i'm getting a bit frustrated.

JamesH
06-03-2013, 04:47 PM
Hi,

This may well be a hardware issue - I'd suggest checking you have the latest USB 3.0 hub firmware for your dock (from the manufacturer's website).

Are you able to try the dock connected to a USB 2.0 port on your notebook?

If neither of the above is an option then you may need to return the dock.

Thanks,
James

Ruud
06-05-2013, 12:18 PM
Hi James,

I looked at the dell.nl site for an USB dock driver/firmware update, but there is none. The driver update (10/5) is probably your latest updated driver? I cannot install that one because the zip file is giving extraction errors..

Also my system reports it has the latest chipset drivers, I installed the recommended Dell update drivers for it.

So.. i do not now if i have an USB2.0 port on my laptop, nor do i want to use that, because I like to have proper bandwidth for my gigabit ethernet and dual display?

I can send you 2 more blackouts I experienced in the meantime.. is there nothing in them you can use to fix your drivers somehow?

Best regards
Ruud

JamesH
06-05-2013, 04:50 PM
Hi,

The firmware for your dock is one and the same as that for the ACP70 which can be found here: http://www.targus.com/us/download.aspx?region=7&sku=ACP70USZ

Thanks,
James

Ruud
06-06-2013, 06:55 AM
Hi James,

Thanks for the heads-up and the link. My model-number is the ACP075EU version. Do you think that the firmware update for the ACP070USZ is compatible with my model?
Does the firmware installer show which version is currently used and does it allow me to save that firmware (so I can put it back when it doesn't work..)
I just don't want to end up with a bricked device :)

ramon
06-06-2013, 09:23 AM
Hi all,

I have exactly same problem like Ruud.

In our company we have 8 Dell XPS 13" ultrabooks and Dell D3000 (ACP075EU) docking stations and the problem is the same: disconnecting USB and ethernet randomly, blinking...10 times a day..
There are isntalled Windwos 8 and Windows 7 64bit - there the same issues on both systems.

I've tried almost everything. Installing the latest drivers from Displaylink, the latest USB 3.0 drivers from Dell, latest graphic drivers...still the same issues..I'm frustrating because nothing is helping...

We have also Kensington USB 3.0 docks (sd3000v) and there is blinking not that often like with Dell Docks.

The last hope I see in the firmware from Targus but I need to know that I don't brick the device because it's not exactly same type...

I'm thankful for any advice!

ramon

Ploddy
06-07-2013, 01:13 AM
Reporting back.

Since my last post I have upgraded to 7.2M1 and for a couple of weeks still had the same issue - freezing at seemingly random intervals, doing different tasks, but most commonly within windows explorer or Chrome.

In the last couple of days I upgraded the firmware on the Targus dock, which did not fix the problem either.

I have tried upping to 'High Performance' power setting, in the hope that will help. Can anyone advise though, in the advanced power settings, under USB settings, there is the option to enable or disable USB selective suspend. Which should it be?

uboel
06-07-2013, 06:50 AM
Hi,

Please run through this troubleshooting guide:
http://www.displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=896

It would also be useful to know what applications are running when the blank screen appears.

Thanks,
James

Hi James,

Before posting on the forum, I had already made a tour of all the corresponding posts and this one was my first reading.

Concerning the applications, my boss mainly uses:
- Outlook 2010,
- Excel 2010,
- Word 2010,
- IE 10
- Firefox (latest version)

The machine has a fresh Windows 8 64bits installation. The dock was connected at the end of computer installation process, with the latest Kensington drivers package available on their web site at that time installed [ Kensington sd3000v/sd3500v USB 3.0 docking stations (K33970/K33971/K33972/K33973) and K33928 Video Adapter Software Driver Version 7.0.43577.0 ].
After reading some of the forum posts I uninstalled this package and installed the 7.2M1 package available from here. I also changed the Windows Power Options settings to High performances.

This seemed to correct the dock "complete failures" preventing to use the Ethernet connection and the USB ports...but the "black screens" issue remained.
The only workaround we found so far was to plug the second screen directly through the HDMI port onto the computer, leaving the dock as Ethernet connection (as the XPS 13 doesn't have a native Ethernet plug) and USB switch.

My boss is not at the office this week but when he gets back I will install the debug tools and ask him to run those when a problem occurs. I'll send you the logs as soon as I get them.

Kind regards,

Ulric

Ruud
06-07-2013, 06:59 AM
Hi Ploddy, Ramon and Ulric,
Thanks for the heads up on your situations.
Ploddy: did you try the targus firmware on a dell dock 3.0 (ACP075EU)?

I didn't try the firmeware update yet, still waiting on a confirmation that this ACP70USZ firmware is compatible with my ACP075EU model.

Best regards,
Ruud

uboel
06-07-2013, 07:05 AM
UBoel: did you use the ethernet-port on the docking station at the time you tested it on the Dell Vostro 5650? My XPS doesn't have a normal ethernet port so i'm forced to use the one on the docking station..

Yes I did (and still does as I bought another dock for my Vostro), the purpose being to connect as less cables as possible when arriving at the office! :p

As explained the same dock behaves quite differently when attached to the Vostro or the XPS...

Since installing the 7.2M1 version of the drivers on my Vostro I encounter a little issue...but nothing I can't live with...I now have to unplug the USB cable between the dock and the computer before shutting down Windows...if I don't, Windows never finish the shutdown procedure. I didn't find any message in the event viewer telling me what is happening in this case...strange...

Cheers,

Ulric

Ruud
06-07-2013, 07:41 AM
Hi Ulric,

So at least based on your experience it seems to be related to the specific hardware in the XPS13 or driver version for that hardware.

Thanks for the heads up.
Ruud

JamesH
06-09-2013, 12:21 AM
Hi,

I've followed up with Dell and you should already have the latest firmware loaded on your Dell dock.

Some further thoughts:

Do you see this with other browsers or just when using Chrome?

If it is Chrome specific can you try these steps?

Click on the Customize and Control Google Chrome button > Settings
Scroll down and click on "Show Advanced settings"
In the Privacy section, uncheck "Predict network actions to improve page load performance".

Thanks,
James

Ruud
06-10-2013, 09:18 AM
Hi James,
Thanks for following up on our problems.

I'm not entirely sure if I can 'blame' Chrome for all the 'black-outs' I had. You can probably find more evidence for that in the logfiles I sent you??

I've disabled the 'Predict network actions to improve page load performance' setting in Chrome, hope this helps.

I''l report back with my findings later.

Bye for now,
Ruud

Ruud
06-10-2013, 03:09 PM
Hi James,

will sent you the latest logfiles. Had 1 blackout the whole day. (that might be an improvement still)

Ruud
06-11-2013, 09:31 AM
Hi James,

I found my laptop without battery on a couple of occasions (the next morning that is). Then I remembered that Ulric reported this before as well.
What happens is: I shutdown my XPS13, screens go black, including laptop screen (so it seems the laptop has completed its shutdown) however the next morning the battery is drained.

This can very well be totally unrelated, just mentioning here that I have the same problem

JamesH
06-12-2013, 02:25 PM
Hi,

Power issue aside are you still getting black outs?

Thanks,
James

Ruud
06-13-2013, 10:06 AM
Hi James,

Yes I can confirm that I still having blackouts, about once or twice a day.

I stopped sending you the logfiles, let me know if you still need them, OK?

I have to report another issue which I sometimes experience after a blackout: I use my mouse with my left hand, and swapped the button assignments for that to work (so left mouse button = right click, and right mouse button = left click)
After a blackout event (=restart of displaylink service?) the mouse button assignments are back to 'normal'settings.
Re-setting them doesn't work, because my microsoft keyboard/mouse settings report them as being mirrored still.. but in fact they are not!

TargusLevel3
06-14-2013, 05:28 AM
Ruud,
If I may take a look, please send me the System_Details.txt file from running the DisplayLink support tool https://targus.box.com/s/9gicjxqzp2f3sbul87op .

Ruud
06-14-2013, 11:15 AM
Hi TargusLevel3,
I just sent you (private message) the contents of my latest system_details.txt file.

I hope you'll find some clues to what is going on.

Please let me know if I can do something to further your investigations.

Ruud

red91182
06-14-2013, 08:25 PM
Hello,
I am also seeing screen freezing issues with the Dell XPS13 and the Dell/Targus D3000 dock. Seems to happen often when browsing web pages. I usually have to remove the USB dock connection from the laptop and then re-seat it. I have all the latest drivers.

Looking for a quick resolution to this problem...

JamesH
06-15-2013, 05:03 PM
Hi,

Which browser are you using? Do you get the same issue on other browsers?

Thanks,
James

Ruud
06-17-2013, 08:07 AM
Hi James,

Many times, within the first half-hour after starting up my laptop I experienced a black-out. Normally I would work with chrome and eclipse, firefox, thunderbird, and other programs simultaneously, so it is difficult to point to a particular program.. however today I had a meeting and left my laptop with just firefox and thunderbird opened and it still had a black-out which I discovered after I came back.. so without doing a thing, the black-out still occurred.

Best regards,
Ruud

red91182
06-17-2013, 03:51 PM
Hi,

Which browser are you using? Do you get the same issue on other browsers?

Thanks,
James

Windows 7 Enterprise 64bit with IE9 and Chrome. I see the same freezing problems with both Chrome and IE.

TargusLevel3
06-18-2013, 01:07 AM
Ruud,
Please resend system_details.txt
Thanks, Kevin

Ruud
06-18-2013, 11:57 AM
Hi Kevin,
Just sent you a private message. Did you receive it OK?

More info: yesterday 3 black-outs in total (including one which swapped my mouse button assigment again, grrrr)
Today: none so far.

Ruud
06-19-2013, 07:32 AM
Hi James and Kevin,

Yesterday I did have some black-outs later that day. To me they seemed related to my laptop using the network a lot:
I had to index a couple of projects (in Eclipse) from a network server together with streaming audio from beatport.. and BOOM.. black-out.

tbm
06-22-2013, 05:01 PM
Hello all,

I also have an Dell XPS 13 Ultrabook connected to the Dell D3000 docking. This is my second one. Dell replaced it, because the first docking wasn't recognized by Windows 8 anymore.

I'm experiencing the same issues reported here... but also a new one:

When i connect the docking for the first time to the Dell XPS 13 then Windows 8 will recognize it and it performs an firmware update...

Then i can work with the docking and of course when watching video (with VLC) for some-while the screen will go blank and it seems like it's resetting...

Then the screen will show up after some seconds.. This behavior keeps repeating, and will become more annoying when also using the Gigabit Ethernet... So i had to disable it :(

When i switch the power off the docking and the next day i power it on en start up the Dell XPS 13 the docking doesn't get recognized! So every time i had to uninstall the DisplayLink software and run the EndUserUninstaller...

Reinstalling the latest drivers, and then the docking gets recognized again...

Does anyone has a clue why this is happening?

JamesH
06-23-2013, 11:17 PM
Hello all,

I also have an Dell XPS 13 Ultrabook connected to the Dell D3000 docking. This is my second one. Dell replaced it, because the first docking wasn't recognized by Windows 8 anymore.

I'm experiencing the same issues reported here... but also a new one:

When i connect the docking for the first time to the Dell XPS 13 then Windows 8 will recognize it and it performs an firmware update...

Then i can work with the docking and of course when watching video (with VLC) for some-while the screen will go blank and it seems like it's resetting...

Then the screen will show up after some seconds.. This behavior keeps repeating, and will become more annoying when also using the Gigabit Ethernet... So i had to disable it :(

When i switch the power off the docking and the next day i power it on en start up the Dell XPS 13 the docking doesn't get recognized! So every time i had to uninstall the DisplayLink software and run the EndUserUninstaller...

Reinstalling the latest drivers, and then the docking gets recognized again...

Does anyone has a clue why this is happening?

Hi,

Can you attach the debug logs as described here:
http://www.displaylink.com/support/ticket.php?id=269

Thanks,
James

JamesH
06-24-2013, 12:11 AM
Hi James and Kevin,

Yesterday I did have some black-outs later that day. To me they seemed related to my laptop using the network a lot:
I had to index a couple of projects (in Eclipse) from a network server together with streaming audio from beatport.. and BOOM.. black-out.

Hi,

Can you update your graphics driver to the latest recommended from the Dell site (v9.17.10.3062), your chipset driver to v9.3.0.1021 and also your BIOS to vA09.

Link to these downloads is: http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/19/Product/xps-13-l321x-mlk

As I think the issue is timing related I want to rule out any system level issues on the notebook.

Thanks,
James

Ruud
06-24-2013, 09:22 AM
Hi James,

Just sent you my latest logfiles. I upgraded my lap-top to the latest drivers as you requested. The BIOS is veriso A09 now, the video driver is also the number you requested. I just can't seem to find the chipset dirver version somewhere. Perhaps it is stated somewhere in the logfiles?
Could you verify that on you end?

I'll let you know if I have more black-outs still.

tbm
06-24-2013, 04:44 PM
Hi,

Can you attach the debug logs as described here:

Thanks,
James

James,

This is my second D3000 docking and i've updated the video driver, chipset driver and the latest bios you've recommended... Now the system can't find the docking anymore, so i can't produce logfiles... Same behavior as with my 1st docking... Strange! I think it's an hardware problem???

Ruud
06-25-2013, 10:18 AM
Hi James,

Another black-out just occurred. Again this one maybe related to increased/heavy bandwidth usage:
- Listening to streaming audio
- Browsing local server
- Uploading large files to wetransfer

.. and boom, 'lights' out!

Also yesterday, after the driver/bios upgrade, no black-outs occurred but the also reported problem that windows doesn't shutdown happened this time.

JamesH
06-25-2013, 02:09 PM
Hi,

I think we've exhausted all system level issues.

Please return your dock for a replacement.

Thanks,
James

Ruud
06-25-2013, 02:23 PM
Hi James,

Could you explain to me how replacing the dock hardware really fixes my problems? I mean, I using the latest bios, and all updated drivers I assume and in normal situations is just works, so hardware wise it is fine, not? Could there be external triggers involved like over-heating sensors? or other dock electronics which doesn't respond well to 'stress'? And if so: how would replacing the dock with similar hardware alleviate the problems?

Only when things gets pushed to its limit the software breaks down it seems.

My hypothesis is that the dock drivers have some serious issues with maintaining stability when juggling all the traffic going to and from the dock to the laptop.

tbm
06-25-2013, 05:29 PM
Hi,

I think we've exhausted all system level issues.

Please return your dock for a replacement.

Thanks,
James

James,

I've returned the dock for a replacement. Still the same issues... I think i have to ask Dell for a refund... :(

JamesH
06-25-2013, 10:48 PM
James,

I've returned the dock for a replacement. Still the same issues... I think i have to ask Dell for a refund... :(

Hi,

Can you post the logs? I know you say that the dock isn't detected but the logs will give me some idea as to why. Also the output of the system information tool would be very useful. To get this run the program msinfo32.exe (it's a native Windows tool). Export the output to a text file, save it and post it.

Thanks,
James

JamesH
06-25-2013, 10:56 PM
Hi James,

Could you explain to me how replacing the dock hardware really fixes my problems? I mean, I using the latest bios, and all updated drivers I assume and in normal situations is just works, so hardware wise it is fine, not? Could there be external triggers involved like over-heating sensors? or other dock electronics which doesn't respond well to 'stress'? And if so: how would replacing the dock with similar hardware alleviate the problems?

Only when things gets pushed to its limit the software breaks down it seems.

My hypothesis is that the dock drivers have some serious issues with maintaining stability when juggling all the traffic going to and from the dock to the laptop.

Hi,

My reasoning for recommending a replacement is because I believe the issue to be hardware related. Of course I may be wrong and if you get a replacement and you're still seeing the issue then I'll take another look at it as that means it's a firmware issue.

Thanks,
James

tbm
06-28-2013, 10:15 AM
Take a look at the firmware JamesH... Dell replaced my dock, but the second one also died... Can't connect it anymore.. :mad:

JamesH
06-28-2013, 10:33 AM
Hi,

Please post the logs and system info output.

Thanks,
James

Ruud
07-01-2013, 12:21 PM
Hi James,

Dell support (or actually their supervisor) read this thread about the issues i'm having, and concluded that simply returning the dock won't help.
Instead they propose the real problem lies with the fact that I first attached the dock and later installed its drivers. According to Dell that could lead to driver instabilities.
As an work-around Dell now suggest that I remove the dock, then uninstall all drivers/software related to the dock, (probably do a reboot here), install all dockingstation drivers and finally attach the dockingstation.

I'm willing to try this out (although skeptical of this working), but how?

2 questions:

1) Do you have a complete driver removal tool or something (or some other method so I can be sure not to miss something
2) Do the dockingstation drivers install themselves correctly without an attached dockingstation?

JamesH
07-01-2013, 01:49 PM
Hi,

After uninstalling DisplayLink software run the cleaner tool from here http://www.displaylink.com/support/ticket.php?id=297

You'll need to connect a DisplayLink enabled device to complete the installation of the drivers.

Thanks,
James

tbm
07-01-2013, 03:37 PM
Dell says to connect the dock AFTER installing the drivers... I removed the software and used the EndUserCleaner to remove the installation of the DisplayLink drivers...

When re-installing - with the dock connected BEFORE or AFTER installing - doesn't matter... Can't use my dock, it's not recognized anymore! Very strange! :rolleyes:

JamesH
07-01-2013, 05:06 PM
Hi

Does anything appear in device manager when you connect your dock?

Can you gather the logs when the dock is connected?

If the tool won't collect the logs then zip up anything in this directory (\Program Files\DisplayLink Core Software\Debug) and please post it.

Thanks,
James

tbm
07-01-2013, 08:14 PM
Why aren't the logfiles readable by humans? It looks like it's encrypted???? :confused:

Ruud
07-11-2013, 07:16 AM
Hi James and TBM,

Haven't been here a while because I don't have any more problems lately. :confused::confused:

I didn't get to the uninstalling and reinstalling thing yet. The only thing which could be related (?) was that in the mean time my system received an updated Dell System Detect tool version 5.0.2.57

Will report back when I do get black-outs again.

Ruud
07-11-2013, 09:03 AM
Oops I shouldn't have posted my previous message :o, just had another black-out...

Graeme
07-12-2013, 01:31 AM
Hi There,
I'm new at this & hope I am in the right forum.
I have a Dell XPS 12 running Win 8 Pro and have the USB 3.0 Docking Station (D3000).
I have installed software, updated drivers and all seems good - USB & Ethernet seem fine BUT I can't get external monitors to work.
The Displaylink Adaptor appears in the device manager but no icon in the system tray and no signal to monitor (Dell E2209W connected to either DVI or HDMI port on the dock).
Everything passed on the support tool system check.

I want to be able to connect 2 external monitors.

I have attached support tool logs if that helps ...

Thanks in advance
Graeme

Ruud
07-12-2013, 07:55 AM
Hi Graeme,

Welcome to this forum. This particular thread is about the black-out issue: the dock works normally, and then suddenly the dock software resets itself, all attached screens go black, and after a few seconds they restore to normal. Except all screen positions of program windows are lost, which can be quite annoying. Also connections via ethernet etc are lost.

I hope your problem with attaching both monitors is resolved quickly. Can you report here when you also experience black-outs?

Best regards,
Ruud

dfollis
07-23-2013, 02:45 AM
I'm having similar issues. Brand new XPS13 with Windows 7x64. I have updated BIOS to A09 and downloaded latest Intel video drivers. I installed the software BEFORE connecting the dock.

User has a HDMI and DVI display. When the HDMI port on the dock is used, the two external screens and all other dock ports (ethernet and USB) will freeze after a few minutes of use. Pulling power to the dock will cause it to reset and then work for another few minutes before hanging again.

If I do not use the HDMI port the problem does not occur as rapidly, but still hangs two or three times over an 8 hour period for no apparent reason.

We have 5 other XPS13s running same config, but using the older Targus branded DisplayLink docks and XPS13 hardware version with no issue (although they are not using the HDMI). This appears only to be related to the new Dell branded D3000 model. Someone needs to QC their drivers I think.

dfollis
07-23-2013, 02:49 AM
I have pulled the laptop and dock from the user so I am able to collect logs/run some tests if that will help.

JamesH
07-26-2013, 01:02 PM
Hi,

Yes please - instructions on getting logs can be found here:

Thanks,
James

Ruud
07-29-2013, 10:10 AM
Hi James and DFollis,

(just got back from holidays)

I'm curious: how do you connect 2 external monitors without using the HDMI connector?
My model has 1 HDMI port and 1 DVI port.
Do you use the mini DisplayPort on the laptop itself?

william5849
07-30-2013, 02:43 PM
That's what I did. I have the Surface Pro. One monitor on Mini Display and the other using the DVI on the Dell Dock.

Ruud
07-30-2013, 03:14 PM
Hi William5849,

Thanks for replying. What do you mean with 'Surface Pro' and do you thing no using the HDMI port is helping remove (or lessen) the blackouts we are experiencing?

polarlo
07-31-2013, 07:44 PM
I am also having the same issues. Frequent outages with the dock (monitor goes black, network stops, USB devices stop). Computer and dock are less then a week old. Software was installed before the dock was plugged in.

Splinx
08-02-2013, 08:14 PM
Hi Guys,

I have the exact same issue in my office with two ultrabooks and two dell D3500V units. Occasionally both suffer drop-outs on network and monitors and both have ery slight stutter with the mouse.

Latest drivers, firmware, intel chipset and vga drivers installed.

I am surprised about how long this thread is and how long it is taking for a solid answer to be forthcoming. As far as I can tell the logs are not yielding any valuable information - DisplayLink, please confirm on this point.

What should we all do - return the units and if so can you please confirm what unit we should purchase directly from you to gain two monitors out and no blank screen drop-outs?

This really is such a shame because, aside from this devastating issue, the product is good.

Thanks,
Splinx

JamesH
08-05-2013, 09:48 AM
Hi,

Can you post the debug logs so I can see if this is the same issue that Ruud is having?

See this link for how to gather the logs:

Thanks,
James

rtozer
08-08-2013, 02:12 PM
I recently bought a Dell XPS 13 with a Targus dual display dock (through dell, but not branded).
I was experiencing the freeze issue described here, though mine never came back by itself once frozen. Screens, sound, ethernet, USB devices all frozen. Unplugging and replugging the usb cable usually reset it.
It always happened when opening a new tab in chrome and occurred a few times a day.
It was particularly likely to happen if I mouse wheel clicked a link to open in a new tab on the laptop display and then moved the tab to a displaylink display before rendering had completed.

I disabled GPU compositing and threaded compositing in chrome://flags and the problem hasn't occurred since. I've since reenabled threaded compositing and still no freeze.

Perhaps this will help others with the problem, and/or the developers.

Further info:
Running Win 7 Pro
I plugged in the dock without installing drivers, it attempted to install drivers itself which failed.
I then used the disc which came with the dock, which completed with warnings but after a restart all device manager warnings cleared.
I downloaded the latest firmware and displaylink drivers, both said I already had the latest installed.

All was working fine till yesterday when I installed the latest Intel HD 4000 drivers.
I still don't have the freeze issue, but now rendering gets badly messed up if I scroll a page (in any app), and overlays flicker badly and/or disappear (image alt text etc). Turning GPU compositing back on didn't resolve this.
The scroll issue makes the displays completely unusable.

edit:
Update - having windows install the HD 4000 drivers seems to have resolved the issue, right click - update driver software in device manager, as opposed to downloading and installing from Intel's site. Same driver version, but all scroll and overlay flickering is gone.

Ruud
08-09-2013, 08:19 AM
Hi everyone following this thread,

I bought a mini displayport - DVI-D cable following the advice posted earlier.
Just started using is, no black-outs/freeze-ups so far.

All the days before I had several black-outs per day, which is getting really annoying especially if sometimes I need to restart my computer and or loose my work because of connection problems to servers i'm working on!

So I hope this works.

Ruud
08-09-2013, 11:37 AM
Nooooo, just had my second blackout after switching to mini-displayport cable. So unfortunately that didn't do the trick..
Going to try the Chrome://flags tip next

Ruud
08-09-2013, 02:10 PM
BOOM: another black-out: disable Chrome://flags GPU setting doesn't work for me :(

TargusLevel3
08-09-2013, 06:48 PM
For the “Ivy Bridge” version of the Dell XPS13 (L322X) running Windows 7/64:
Dell recommends Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver 1.0.6.245, however Targus recommends the later version 1.0.8.251 available at https://targus.box.com/shared/static/5yacv8xd9eycrneyxvzq.zip .
Dell recommends Intel Graphics Driver 9.17.10.3063, however Targus recommends that the later driver version 9.17.10.3071 available at https://targus.box.com/shared/static/j15wzw3jttxg4bshkc42.zip .
The Targus docks may function with the Dell recommended drivers, but Targus knows the docks work with the drivers shown.

For the “Sandy Bridge” version of the Dell XPS13 (L321X) running Windows 7/64:
Dell recommends Fresco Logic USB 3.0 Host Controller version 3.5.46.0, however for proper USB3.0 Host Controller functionality Targus requires the latest driver version 3.5.100.0 available at https://targus.box.com/shared/static/30rp7b7ip7omfszhmo51.exe .
Dell recommends Intel Graphics Driver 8.15.10.2712, however for proper desktop manager functionality Targus requires that the latest driver version 9.17.10.3071 available at https://targus.box.com/shared/static/j15wzw3jttxg4bshkc42.zip .

Splinx
08-11-2013, 05:03 PM
Hi Guys,

I have definitely sorted this issue with external USB docks running under Windows 8 (64 bit). The issue lays firmly with the host controller drivers and not the external devices themselves!

The issue is 100% a result of the native windows driver for the USB 3.0 eXtensible host driver and Microsoft's and Intel's lack of any interest to fix their own driver.

Give this customised Windows7 driver a whirl and let me know if your issues are resolved: Windows 8 (64) USB 3.0 Extensible host driver (https://www.dropbox.com/sh/v9yjd7ixj2hy5ok/HsM27ptnGT)

It worked a treat for me on my Dell XP13 (L322X).

Credits to this post out on part of the solution (http://communities.intel.com/message/189162) a lot!

Thanks,
Splinx :)

Overview of the fix process

bcdedit -set loadoptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING ON
Reboot
Install driver (detailed instructions below) and then...
bcdedit -set loadoptions ENABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING OFF
reboot

Detailed notes on installing the custom Windows 8 driver

You can only install these drivers when you are in Test mode (indicated bottom right of the desktop background)
Run the commands in RED, above, in a command prompt elevated to admin mode.
Locate the “Intel® USB 3.0 eXtrensible Host Controller…” (found under “Universal Serial Bus Controllers”.
Right-click – “Update driver software…”
Brows my computer
Let me pick from a list
Point at the directory from the attached file.
IMPORTANT - After this is installed you will lose connectivity on any devices connected via USB
After you have installed this driver “scan for hardware changes”
There should be another “unsupported driver” – “Intel USB 3.0 Root hub”
Right-click on this driver and update the driver – poiting at your install directory (this time you DON’T have to choose “let me pick from a list of…”
After installing drivers run the commands above in green (in admin mode)
Reboot and enjoy!

You may also want to ensure that you have the latest display link driver for your device although I'm pretty sure that the display link (or in fact Kensington) drivers are fine and the problem is with the USB host controller.

Enjoy and let me know if it worked for you! :D

Ruud
08-13-2013, 01:55 PM
Hi Splinx,

This sounds like good news. I checked out the post and got a bit worried when I read this:

1. You reboot Windows without driver signature enforcement

2. Never restore these drivers if you uninstall them. I originally tried them out and wanted to compare them with the native drivers so I uninstalled them, then I tried restoring them when I confirmed they worked better, however I wasn't in windows with driver signature enforcement off, it resulted in a complete vanishing of my USB 3.0 devices. I was utterly lost on how to fix it, the saving grace was System Restore which allowed me to restore just slightly back in time to before I installed the modified drivers. It was fine then.

Having a sort of 'bricked' install isn't exactly my cup of thee.

I'm going to try the recommendations by TargusLevel3 about the drivers first.

However, I must assume that Targus/Displaylink/Dell could persuade/tell Intel to clean up their act and deliver some good drivers right?? I mean it looks like there are good drivers around, so why aren't they officially available then?

Ruud
08-13-2013, 01:56 PM
Before I install this modified driver.. do you know what exactly it is that its now win8 compatible??

uboel
08-13-2013, 01:59 PM
Dear support,

I'm unable to use a new docking with a new XPS. The docking is recognized only when I'm in the windows session. I use a Windows 8 Pro x64.

I already:

- have installed the latest version (7.3M1)
- rollback to previous version (7.2M1)
- restart the computer
- restart the docking => remove power and USB cable
- use all the USB ports
- tried my laptop on another docking

In attach, the logs generated by DL support tool

Thanks in advance

Ruud
08-13-2013, 02:15 PM
@Targuslevel3: I tried installing the driver on my Win8/64... but my system isn't compatible (duh..) so no version 1.0.8.251 for me so far
@Splinx: do you do the command-line thingies to get past the compatibility check? or do I need to download the altered(?) version of the 1.0.8.251 driver?

Also: most interesting articles:
Could be related with dock from other vendor:
http://plugable.com/2012/12/01/windows-8-and-intel-usb-3-0-host-Controllers

How to modify .inf files for usage in Windows8
https://docs.google.com/viewer?pid=explorer&srcid=0B1iTNRmwaw54RWMyd3hUVV9WZkE&docid=fb24ed30dc61006d2858472c60f66e4c|13b25755bf3 89d3c3cb64d49f4e862f0&chan=EQAAALQ6iryec1hadS6vCjWyJsDDbCtoeBI/PDSC8/cwcBQz&a=v&rel=zip;z3;Instructions.txt&pli=1

@JamesH, @Targuslevel3: remembering earlier remarks people made on this forum about crashes occurring seaming related to 'bandwidth' problems, this whole USB3 doesn't work OK with default microsoft drivers issue seems spot on (right?). Please investigate this and tell me if it's OK (and how) to proceed this way.

Splinx
08-16-2013, 01:06 PM
@ ruud,

The driver is the one I downloaded from the Intel forum below:
http://communities.intel.com/message/189162

Like you I was dubious about simply installing a modified driver and so I ran it in a VM first and ran Microsoft Security Essentials on it - all fine.

When I put it onto my Dell XPS it worked a charm and I can supply screen grabs and a video if you like.

Just to let you know - I am an IT guy with over 20 years experience on this stuff and I am also a Microsoft Gold Partner ;)

For obvious reasons, I don't want to say exactly who I am but I waned to give you some level of my background so that you (and others) knew that my post was not an empty or (worse) a fraudulent post.

Thanks,

Splinx
08-16-2013, 01:09 PM
@Splinx: do you do the command-line thingies to get past the compatibility check? or do I need to download the altered(?) version of the 1.0.8.251 driver?

To answer you question specifically...

You need both the modified driver and to run the command line updates to allow Windows to allow you to install the unsigned driver.

Driver signing is in place to stop unauthorised installed without an experienced person knowing what they are doing.

I wrote my instructions long-hand so that it "should" be easy for you to follow - PM me if you like and I don't mind helping you out as this particular problem was driving me crazy.

Since implementing the fix I proposed I have had ZERO issues and I am a very happy bunny :)

Thanks,
Splinx

Ruud
08-16-2013, 01:52 PM
Hi Splinx,

I am very interested in using these modded drivers. I should be able to perform the necessary steps to get it done.

I'm wondering: after I use these modded drivers are the normal things like checking for even newer updates and the ability to upgrade the driver to yet another driver still available and working normally?

Thanks!

Ruud

Splinx
08-16-2013, 01:54 PM
I'm wondering: after I use these modded drivers are the normal things like checking for even newer updates and the ability to upgrade the driver to yet another driver still available and working normally?

Yes, definitely.

That said, please don't hold your breath for Intel and Microsoft to acknowledge this issue and update their drivers. Like I said in my original post, Intel have even gone on record stating that they have no intention of ever producing an updated driver and I cannot find anything too solid on the topic from MS.

Thanks,

Ruud
08-16-2013, 02:05 PM
Hi Splinx,

Is using bcdedit -set loadoptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS the command-line way of getting into the 'normal' startup-options => disable integrity checks??

(I guess so, just curious)

OK: did the upgrade using bcdedit.

I got a couple of hickups:
TESTSIGNING ON didn't work at first because 'secure boot' was on. You can disable this BIOS feature (Press F2 right at startup on a Dell XPS13)
The “unsupported driver” – “Intel USB 3.0 Root hub” device wasn't located at the Universal Serial Bus Controller section but in its own 'unknown devices' area

The rest of the process was pretty straight-forward.

Thanks!

Splinx
08-16-2013, 04:52 PM
Is using bcdedit -set loadoptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS the command-line way of getting into the 'normal' startup-options => disable integrity checks??

Hi Ruud,

Short answer... "Yes".

Sorry that you ran into a few blips - I guess the process may be slightly different depending on the system and present driver state.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you - please let me know if you're sorted.

Thanks,
Splinx

Ruud
08-19-2013, 06:52 AM
Hi Splinx,

Sorry that you ran into a few blips

No worries about that, glad someone showed me a way out of this mess :)

I'll let you know if more black-outs occur or that this finally is the solution. (none so far)

Thanks again!

Ruud

Ruud
08-19-2013, 12:36 PM
Hi all,

I'm sorry to report I'm still experiencing sudden black-outs.
The dock still stops working all of a sudden.

This time the 'normal' pling-plong and back to work didn't happen, so I pulled the USB3 connector en refitted it after which the dock responded again.

I still think the mouse-stuttering is less than before.

Splinx: still going OK with your setup? Are you using both DVI and HDMI ports? I'm using DVI and Mini displayport at the moment.

Splinx
08-19-2013, 12:56 PM
Hi Ruud,

All working perfectly for me.

I can also confirm that I have one cable plugged from the XPS13 to the Kensginton 3500V. From the Kensiginton device I have a keyboard, mouse, USB to my monitors, 1 X DVI out to DELL 24" (1900x1280) and 1X HDMI out to Dell 24" and lastly using cat5E for network.

Have you checked your power settings in all of the UB devices in device manager? Also, have you installed all latest updates and rebooted?

I'm also running the 64bit version of the latest Displaylink drivers (not the Kensington drivers provided).

Oh, one other thing - I am typically disabling my ultra-book screen when plugged into the 3500V device (since it hurts my neck/eyes to look over at the ultra-book screen (as lovely as it is).

Thanks,
Splinx

Ruud
08-19-2013, 01:46 PM
Hi Splinx,

FYI: displaylink driver: 7.2.47873.0 (9-5-2013), =latest?

Found a couple of powermanagement setting still enabled (allow the computer to turn off this device to save power), so disabled all of them.

Come to think of it, today my displaylink crash occurred sometime during lunch...

Splinx
08-19-2013, 01:51 PM
FYI: displaylink driver: 7.2.47873.0 (9-5-2013), =latest?

Confirmed, I too am running version: 7.2.47873.0

BTW - I've noticed that I also have Bluetooth disabled and, since I'm plugged into the network with a hard-wire, I have WiFi disabled too.

Hope some of this proves fruitful for you.

Thanks,
Splinx

Ruud
08-19-2013, 02:04 PM
Hi Splinx,

I'm using cat5e gigbit as well. So turned off wifi.
Didn't find blue-tooth at first, but in the end I did: couldn't turn it on or off (greyed-out but was 'off' all the same)

Thanks,
Ruud

Ruud
08-20-2013, 03:24 PM
Hi all,

Too bad, but the fix with the Intel drivers doesn't seem to be working.
Today I experienced several crashes.

Splinx: could it perhaps be the case that together with this driver change you had previously changed something else?

Does anybody know a way to measure the amount of USB bus traffic to see if the crashes are caused by simply too much bus-traffic?

Thanks,
Ruud

Splinx
08-22-2013, 10:30 AM
Hi Ruud,

Have you got your hub plugged into the USB port on your XPS13 on the right-hand-side? (as you look at your ultra-book from the front)

Thanks,
Splinx.

Ruud
08-23-2013, 08:08 AM
Hi Splinx,

Good question, I'm using the port on the left side (when sitting normally before the laptop)
I presume that I have the dock connected to a USB3 port?

The day before yesterday I did find some way to really disable Wifi and Bluetooth. Perhaps they were not completely disabled before.
Haven't had any crash since, but didn't work long on this setup (had day off yesterday)

Thanks,
Ruud

Ruud
08-23-2013, 09:36 AM
Hi all,

I'm curious: in my setup this particular icon keeps showing a exclamation mark on my taskbar.
Is has something to do with waking up the laptop in order to have application do their updating (mail, facebook posts etc)

My question is: do you have the same exclamation mark?
and: do you know a way to fix this.

Of-course I'm hoping this is somehow related to my crashes...

Just forgot to mention this: I just had another crash.. so disabling Wifi/Bluetooth wasn't the magic bullet

Ruud
08-23-2013, 09:39 AM
Hi all,

On many occasion (if not all) my crashes are directly related to something I do:
- Move my mouse,
- Click a link
- Use my keyboard
- Browser loads next song etc.

What's your opinion on this?

btw: JamesH, TargusLevel3.. haven't heard much from your recently, are you still following this thread?
Any word on future updates which could finally fix this problem?

tbm
08-27-2013, 07:10 PM
Hello all :D

Got back from vacation and i've tried to connect my DELL D3000 dock to my DELL XPS 13 again... And now (after a few weeks not connected to my laptop) it was recognized again by Windows 8... very strange...

I installed the old drivers from the original DELL CD and kept it running for some days... Experienced black outs and sometimes the image was hanging on my TV (connected on the HDMI port of the dock)... Reconnecting the dock brought back my display...

Now i've updated to the latest drivers (released 22 Aug 2013)... In the release notes i saw that the hanging of the image is fixed... I had a blackout some minutes ago... While i was downloading a file via the ethernet port... I've disabled it to be more stable... But still blackouts.......... Damn why can't this be fixed properly? :cool:

Ruud
08-28-2013, 07:04 AM
Hi all,

@tbm: thanks for letting me know new drivers were available, I sometimes try to do a auto update, but that function never reports new drivers (also not in this case), why :confused:

I also just installed the new drivers and firmware. I hope these drivers do a better job with the intel USB3.0 driver I installed as well.

Update: after reading other threads on this forum site, I decided to remove all USB features and some other stuff

Disabled in BIOS:
- USB emulation
- USB powershare
- USB wake support
- Intel smart connect
- Intel rapid start

Also uninstalled Intel smart connect and rapid start from installed programs.

Will let you know if more blackouts occur.

Thanks,
Ruud

update: So far I did not experience any black-outs after these modifications :)
update 29/8: Ooops experienced first black-out after 1,5 day. (probably a record still..)
update 2/9: No black-out this day, uninstalling/disabling the USB stuff seems to have stabilized my setup.
update 3/9: Number of black-outs: 2
update 4/9: Number of black-outs: 2
update 5/9: Number of black-outs: 3
update 9/9: Number of black-outs: 1 (so far)

JamesH
09-02-2013, 12:23 PM
Hello all :D

Got back from vacation and i've tried to connect my DELL D3000 dock to my DELL XPS 13 again... And now (after a few weeks not connected to my laptop) it was recognized again by Windows 8... very strange...

I installed the old drivers from the original DELL CD and kept it running for some days... Experienced black outs and sometimes the image was hanging on my TV (connected on the HDMI port of the dock)... Reconnecting the dock brought back my display...

Now i've updated to the latest drivers (released 22 Aug 2013)... In the release notes i saw that the hanging of the image is fixed... I had a blackout some minutes ago... While i was downloading a file via the ethernet port... I've disabled it to be more stable... But still blackouts.......... Damn why can't this be fixed properly? :cool:

Hi,

I need your debugs logs please.

Thanks,
James

JamesH
09-02-2013, 12:24 PM
Hi,

Just so you all know I'm working with Ruud to try and reproduce this issue internally.

Thanks,
James

tbm
09-04-2013, 10:07 PM
After some days working with the dock again, i experienced many blackouts... Once the image didn't came back, so i had to plug the USB cable to restore the image on my TV... Also 2 times the image was hanging on my TV... So it isn't properly fixed in the latest drivers release...

Now again, my dock isn't recognized by Windows anymore. I've also experienced that my Galaxy S2 phone is not recognized when i plug it directly in the left usb port, where the dock was running on. I've used my phone when connected to the dock, and the dock connected to the left usb port...

When i plug it directly in the right usb port, it does get recognized! Seems like something is hanging... and i don't have a clue where to search.

Very weird behaviour... I think that Ruud also runs VMware Workstation? Maybe that's why things go wrong? Interference with a running VMware Workstation instance?

Ruud
09-05-2013, 07:48 AM
Hi TBM,

I'm sorry but i'm not running VM ware on my laptop.

Ruud
09-11-2013, 09:12 AM
Hi all,

Still getting around 3 black-outs a day.

James: any luck in confirming this behaviour on your XPS 13?

Ruud

tbm
09-11-2013, 07:27 PM
Hi Ruud,

Ok; so it's not an issue with VMware... It can't be true that the blackouts only occur on our XPS 13 notebooks... The support team now has many outputs from the diagtool. So in my opinion the information provided must tell them what goes wrong here...

I'm still very surprised why this can't be fixed soon. We have bought units which do not work! I hope that maybe DELL can do something for us to get this issue fixed? :confused:

Ruud
09-12-2013, 07:17 AM
Hi TBM,

Yep, should be clear what is causing this issue by now.

I hope someone finds a definitive answer soon, or DELL starts to swap these devices for something similar that does work.

Thanks,
Ruud

tbm
09-14-2013, 09:16 AM
I'm really clueless here... :confused:

When i've received my second DELL D3000 from DELL the dock connected and i was able to work with it a few days. With ofcourse the known blackouts.

Some days later, after powering up my laptop, the dock wasn't recognized by Windows... No display on my TV, and no icon in the traybar.

Yesterday i've followed these steps to resolve the problem:

Running the latest BIOS A09, and enabled USB legacy support in BIOS.

01. Formatted the SSD in my DELL XPS 13.
02. Installed a fresh copy of Windows 8.
03. Updated the whole system via Windows Update.

04. Installed the latest Intel Chipset driver from DELL.
05. Installed the latest Intel HD video driver from DELL.

Since there is no support for Windows 8 Intel USB 3.0 hostcontroller, we have to do it with the supplied one from Microsoft.

06. I've left my dock powerless the whole night... Powered the device and attached the HDMI cable.

07. Without the dock connected to the USB 3.0 port, i've installed the supplied driver package from Dell: DisplayLink_7.0.exe

08. Installation went without errors.

09. Waited a minute and i've plugged in the dock...

10. It does nothing; no blinking screen or firmware update. It only installs the USB 2.0 functionality. So the USB ports on the dock are working, the rest isn't recognized...

I've noticed when i first installed the second dock that after the first connection the firmware got updated by the driver installation. I was expecting this now.

There should be backup firmware in the device, but i hope the TechSupport Team have a solution to firmware flash the device (maybe with other supplied software?)

Maybe that will do the trick, like it seems to me that the internal firmware is not OK now... Since there is no reset button on the device itself... I'm stuck here... :confused:

Ruud
09-16-2013, 08:02 AM
Hi All,

Friday I had frequent black-outs. The only other thing which was going on at the time was some programs using a lot of memory, like eclipse using 1.2 Gb, Firefox using 0,5 Gb etc.
After restarting my computer the problems didn't occur anymore.

What's up with that?:confused:

tbm
09-22-2013, 01:44 PM
@Ruud

Splinx said something about the left and right USB-ports. Can you test the docking http://accessories.ap.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=sg&l=en&s=dhs&cs=sgdhs1&sku=452-11648 a few days only connected to the RIGHT usb port (where the button is to see the battery power) ?

There are known problems with the left USB port... In fact i'm getting serious low transfer speeds when using an 64GB USB3.0 pendrive connected to the left usb port... Much higher speeds when using the RIGHT usb port..
:confused::confused:

Also my Samsung Galaxy SII doesn't get recognized on the left usb port... Another day wasted my time to reinstall the whole machine... :eek:

Ruud
09-23-2013, 07:49 AM
Hi TBM,

I've never tried the USB port on the right. Partly because it doesn't look like an USB3 port and because of the physical layout of my desk (the left port is closer to the dock)
I'm trying the right port as of now, will post results later today.

Thanks,
Ruud

tbm
09-23-2013, 10:48 AM
@Ruud

Both USB ports on the DELL XPS 13 L322X are USB3.0 ports... But there are some issues with the left USB port... :(:rolleyes:

When my dock was functioning i used to connect it also to the left USB port... Thanks for testing! :)

Ruud
09-23-2013, 11:13 AM
Hi TBM,

Good to hear that both ports are USB3.
I haven't had any blackout since this morning.. (keeping fingers crossed)
:)

Ruud
09-24-2013, 07:56 AM
Hi TBM,

Just to let you know: haven't had any black-out since I'm using the rightside USB port on my XPS13.

Still too early to be significant, but for now I'm very happy with that.

Could also explain why DELL is seems very reluctant to deal with this, because i might mean their device is faulty on the left USB port.. :(

tbm
09-24-2013, 11:56 AM
@Ruud

Ok, good news so far! When using it for a week then we could say that the problem is the left USB port. The left USB port isn't behaving as an USB3.0 port :confused: I hope that DELL can fix this issue with an BIOS update?

Ruud
09-25-2013, 10:05 AM
Hi TBM,

Had 2 full days in a row without any black-out while using my laptop normal or even beyond normal memory wise.
This is a record for sure!

Hope this continues the next couple of days.
Keep you posted.

Ruud

tbm
09-26-2013, 10:53 PM
Hi Ruud,

Good to hear you're still good :)

If possible; can you also try to sometimes transfer large files using the dock's Ethernet port from your laptop while you're working to (if you have) a local server? To get the maximum speed, for instance take a 4GB dummy file.

I've never experienced a stable Ethernet connection. The transfers didn't complete.. While the black-out occurs the Ethernet connection was also reset... and the mapped network drives became unreachable... Very annoying... :(

Ruud
09-27-2013, 07:27 AM
Hi TBM,

Still haven't got any black-outs since I switched to the right side USB port.

Feels kind of stupid I didn't try that option before.. could have saved me countless numbers of reboots and general agony.

I will try a good file download if I can get my hands on any decent size file (much look one up, that's all)

Thanks for asking,
Ruud

tbm
09-27-2013, 08:09 AM
Not stupid! Because we bought 2 USB3.0 ports, and now the left one doesn't have the USB3.0 specs.

You can download test files from: ftp://ftp.surfnet.nl/pub/test/

I hope you can continue working without any blackout...

Groeten,
TBM

Ruud
09-27-2013, 01:02 PM
Hi TBM, downloaded the 10GB test file and copied it over the network (1Gbit) to another server: it worked.
In the beginning fairly constant, but then on and off, on being around 60MB/sec max, off: 2 - 3 MB/sec. It sort of looked like it was choking on the line or something.

tbm
09-28-2013, 06:00 PM
Great that even while transferring 10GB files you still haven't had any black-out! Hoeraaaaaay!

Well now we can confirm that the left usb port is the issue for all of this...

Unfortunately i can't test it with my own dock (the second one from DELL) isn't functioning anymore... Only had it running for 3-4 days and when i've powered on my laptop on day 5 it wasn't recognized by Windows. I even can't get it to work on a fresh clean installed Windows 8 system....

I've called DELL for a solution for my problem, but still no answer.... :confused: :mad:

TargusLevel3
10-01-2013, 06:26 PM
USB 3.0 Super Speed (right side of the XPS13) is best. The dock should work on both the left side USB2.0 port and the right side USB3.0 port.

However, the latest FrescoLogic Host Controller driver version 3.5.100.0 seems very stable for USB3.0 in the right side SS port, but the HS port on the left seems to have gone incompatible for docking on the Dell XPS13 LS321 with Targus dock ACP71. The Device Manager shows a yellow bang on the USB hub from the dock as if they are incompatible. The XPS13 LS321 does dock with the Targus ACP70. They do have two different USB hubs chips and I will check with the vendors to determine compatibility issues.

Does is appear the same with the Dell XPS LS322 containing the Intel USB Host Controller?

tbm
10-04-2013, 08:29 AM
@Ruud

And? No more black-outs since you've switched?

longplaypg
10-04-2013, 01:24 PM
Dell XPS 13 (L322X)
Intel USB 3.0 chipset
Kensington SD3500V
Anker USB 3.0 Dual Video

Left USB 3.0 superspeed powershare has had problems with the displaylink docks with the provided USB 3.0 cables between the laptop and displaylink dock

Right USB 3.0 superspeed has performed much better wit the displaylink docks and the provided USB 3.0 cables between the laptop and displaylink dock

Currently I am testing a theory by using a USB 2.0 A male to B male with dual ferrite cores between the laptop and displaylink dock. I am waiting to see a failure so I can collect logs and see if support sees the same USB errors they were seeing when I was using the USB 3.0 cable.

Update
USB 2.0 cable did do better. Eventually I hit the possible memory leak issue. At least the support items I submitted did no show USB errors according to the displaylink support. Makes me wonder about that USB daughterboard and the cable that connects it to the motherboard. I haven't cracked it open yet to see what kind of cabling they used.

tbm
10-07-2013, 09:06 PM
@longplaypg

Thanks for the info, and testing! :)

Today i've received my third Dell D3000 dockingstation. Now running for 3 hours on the RIGHT USB port and a clean Windows 8 installation with the lastest USB/DisplayLink drivers.

In this stage i haven't experienced any black-out...... (yet)

Working on the laptop, and extended the display via HDMI to my TV, playing videos with VLC :cool:

I think i'm getting an longer USB3.0 cable to connect to dock with the laptop. Because the length of the original cable is wayyyyyyyyy too short :mad:

Or is the provided USB3.0 cable something special??

Ruud
10-08-2013, 09:56 AM
Hi all,

I just want to say that I did not have any black-out since starting to use the right USB port..

:):)

longplaypg
10-08-2013, 02:09 PM
I think i'm getting an longer USB3.0 cable to connect to dock with the laptop. Because the length of the original cable is wayyyyyyyyy too short :mad:

Or is the provided USB3.0 cable something special??

From my experience I have 2 USB 3.0 cables.

One that is clearly marked e301195, super high speed, USB revision 3.0, with the proper USB 3.0 connectors and thicker cable. Waiting on confirmation no USB errors in debug logs, but works the best to me.

One that is not marked at all, with the proper USB 3.0 connectors, and a thinner cable. Thinking this one may not be full USB 3.0 support and causing some USB errors in support logs.

I was thinking about testing with a 3rd cable that is longer with dual ferrite cores, labeled for USB 3.0 super speed, and proper USB 3.0 connectors. I just haven't bought one yet.

tbm
10-08-2013, 03:53 PM
Hi all,

I just want to say that I did not have any black-out since starting to use the right USB port..

:):)

Ok good, i've just transferred the 10GB test file mentioned earlier, and after receiving 577 MB @ 15.0MB/s the network connection was lost! Pulling the USB connector didn't work... No Display/LAN....

So i had to remove the power from the dock and rebooted the machine, and all was working again...

@Ruud
Try to transfer large files via LAN, using the highest speed possible.... I will try it too later tonight to see what happens...

longplaypg
10-08-2013, 05:07 PM
Ok good, i've just transferred the 10GB test file mentioned earlier, and after receiving 577 MB @ 15.0MB/s the network connection was lost! Pulling the USB connector didn't work... No Display/LAN....

So i had to remove the power from the dock and rebooted the machine, and all was working again...

@Ruud
Try to transfer large files via LAN, using the highest speed possible.... I will try it too later tonight to see what happens...
Please understand I have the following hardware which is probably different from yours.

Dell XPS 13 L322x
Kensington SD3500v
Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit host
Using right USB 3.0 port without powershare with the Ethernet connected to the docking station

First snapshot shows the transferred 10gig file from win8 RDP back to win7 host SSD hdd through terminal service share
Second snapshot shows the complete desktop with multiple RDP sessions and a transfer going from the win7 ssd through terminal share back to the win8 hdd
Third snapshot shows the near final transfer speeds. I got interrupted and had to take the snapshot a little early. Both transfers did complete fully and I never got black screens or lost my Ethernet.

Does your USB 3.0 cable have any writing on it?
Does it have the blue USB 3.0 connectors (especially that new B male one)?

tbm
10-09-2013, 08:15 PM
@longplaypg

Thanks for the info!

My configuration is:
- Dell XPS 13 L322X
- DELL D3000 Docking
- Windows 8 Enterprise 64-bits

I've looked at the cable and the writing on it says:
AWM E89980-A STYLE 2725 80C 30V VW-1 28AWG/2P+1P 26AWG/2C SUPER HIGH SPEED USB Revision 3.0

Both connectors are the BLUE ones, and on the connector i see the SS for Super Speed.

At this point i haven't had any black-outs, using the RIGHT USB port. The first black-out i've reported was due to network configuration changes i think. I'm doing stress tests to see if i can force an black-out :D No luck so far, so that's good :p:D

Seems that if i stream music and download files the network speed becomes slower than normal. If i stop streaming music the download will go much faster. The streaming is only on 128kbps... Guess this is normal?

Is it possible for you to test the transfer speed using USB3.0 harddisk or USB-stick on the LEFT USB port? Too bad i've bought an XPS 13 with only ONE USB3.0 port...

BTW: I have USB PowerShare ON!

longplaypg
10-17-2013, 02:44 PM
Seems that if i stream music and download files the network speed becomes slower than normal. If i stop streaming music the download will go much faster. The streaming is only on 128kbps... Guess this is normal?
I haven't actually tried any audio or video streaming yet

Is it possible for you to test the transfer speed using USB3.0 harddisk or USB-stick on the LEFT USB port?
Sorry I no longer have these 2 laptops in my possession currently. I might have access to 1 of them in a couple weeks and I will ask the end use if I can borrow it again.

Too bad i've bought an XPS 13 with only ONE USB3.0 port...
I know what you mean. That left port is labeled as SS 3.0 with powershare, but sure doesn't seem to be a full SS 3.0 even.

tbm
10-20-2013, 11:25 AM
Now updating the drivers version 7.4 M2, released 11 Oct 2013 to test the ethernet improvements... Later this week i'll test the longer USB3.0 SS cable...

The left USB port is functioning as USB3.0 BUT when i transfer large files >4GB Windows keeps informing about a new detected USB device, so the connection to the USB drive gets lost and it reconnects again, but serveral times... Very strange...

So far no black-outs occured using the RIGHT USB-port...

Misstify
10-28-2013, 08:54 PM
Hello folks!

I've been lurking these forums for several weeks and am recognizing many of the same issues to those that own the Dell XPS's and the Targus Docking station.

I work in a medium sized business and we will eventually have about 60-70 people here at corporate with this set up.

I really just want to thank those who figured out to use the right USB port on the XPS rather than the left. Such a simple fix yet genius in the same. Changing my users over the right has made a lot of people happy. We are 1 week in so far and we've had no problems!

Mary

carminus
10-29-2013, 01:02 PM
I have updated intel usb 3 for xps (maybe other computers) drivers.

Read all steps before doing!

Directions:

1) download
2) unzip files
3) start run type this: shutdown.exe /r /o /f /t 00
4) select troubleshoot
5) select boot options
7) choose 7 " disable signed drivers..."
8) right click on intel usb 3 extensible host then properties
9) update driver (browse --> let me pick from a list... --> have disk)and choose point to the location of where you unzipped the attachment pick iusb3xhc.inf then choose intel usb 3 extensible
10) you will then see another unknown driver in device manager
11) update that driver using the files in the zip but pick iusb3hub.inf *usb 3 hub*

carminus
10-29-2013, 01:22 PM
You can try these drivers out without the above steps, just update the driver using normal mode. Let me know if this works.

For Intel x64 usb3 windows 8.1

longplaypg
10-31-2013, 06:45 PM
You can try these drivers out without the above steps, just update the driver using normal mode. Let me know if this works.

For Intel x64 usb3 windows 8.1

My first assumption is this driver is only for window 8.1. The changes you made are not applied if installed under windows 7 x64. Is that correct?

I went ahead and modified my package install so that it uses these drivers and I still have black screens and disconnects on the left port. I did see the warning about installing an unsigned driver so I feel like the new driver was used.