PDA

View Full Version : VariDrive / Zenbook

lukeclancy
05-05-2013, 04:23 PM
hi folks

wonder has anybody any experience with this DisplayLink drive/hub? I got one because it seemed exactly what i was looking for, but it seems like quite an immature or just bad product. So, I'm just wondering is my experience unique. I'm using the 7.2.47157.0 drivers, right bang up to date, i think...

The main issue is that even when used in conjunction with a Asus Zenbook UX21 with an i7, it seems there is not quite enough power to do the jobs it should. The system begins to wobble like an elephant on a bike (to coin a phrase, although here, I am actually expecting this product to do its job well!)

When using an external VGA screen through the box, performance becomes very unstable and sluggish. Movements of the cursor become laggish, and unsteady, downright inaccurate pretty much all the time. Same story with HDMI.

But just as serious an issue is that USB drives attached via the VariDrive can just randomly 'drop off' the system, and prove impossible to restore without plugging them directly into the laptop. The VariDrive itself also occasionally just disappears too.

All in all, is just not good enough to use, its performance is so erratic and unpredictable and inaccurate (with respect to the cursor/mouse). As is, i couldnt more strongly say it is a DON'T BUY!

I wonder has anybody had good experiences with it, or found ways to fix its shortcomings?

Luke

Wim
05-08-2013, 11:50 AM
It should work well on this system. It sounds like the USB connection is not stable if the product is slow and dropping off the bus.

Can you post the logs here: http://kb.displaylink.com/269

Wim

lukeclancy
06-17-2013, 10:57 AM
rather slow reply...life...but here are the logs.

Im now several weeks into using the drive and it is still very unreliable. Any change in state - sleep, disc wind down - and it's like installing the Varidrive all over again. And, after all these weeks, no response of any sort from Asus to my various support requests

JamesH
06-17-2013, 01:25 PM
Hi,

Can you try upgrading your Fresco Logic host controller driver to the latest available?

I think the latest version is v3.5.97.0

Thanks,
James

j.ward
06-19-2013, 04:14 PM
Hi

I have just purchased a new ASUS UX32A Ultrabook and VariDrive. I am attempting to use the HDMI port to connect to a second monitor as I like to extend my desktop accross the built in display and an external monitor which supports HDMI.

The VariDrive has intalled correctly and I can use all the features except the HDMI port. I have run through the DisplayLink troubleshooting guide without much luck.

My OS is Windows 7 Ultimate, I am running the latest service packs and security updates. All the device drivers were installed from the Asus web site and I have updated the DisplayLink software to V6.3.3.

Attached are the debug logs.

JamesH
06-19-2013, 05:14 PM
Hi

I have just purchased a new ASUS UX32A Ultrabook and VariDrive. I am attempting to use the HDMI port to connect to a second monitor as I like to extend my desktop accross the built in display and an external monitor which supports HDMI.

The VariDrive has intalled correctly and I can use all the features except the HDMI port. I have run through the DisplayLink troubleshooting guide without much luck.

My OS is Windows 7 Ultimate, I am running the latest service packs and security updates. All the device drivers were installed from the Asus web site and I have updated the DisplayLink software to V6.3.3.

Attached are the debug logs.

Hi,

Can you try installing the latest Intel USB 3.0 host controller driver for your laptop?

You can find it here:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=21129

Thanks,
James