PDA

View Full Version : "You must restart your computer to apply these changes" on each dock/undock

AnthonyB
05-03-2013, 12:09 AM
Hi,

Running Win8 x64 and connecting to a Toshiba Dynadock U (the older USB 2.0 based one) and using the 7.2M0 drivers.

Every time I resume from sleep after docking or undocking I get a dialog:

You must restart your computer to apply these changes
Before restarting, save any open files and close all programs
Restart Now Restart Later

(screenshot attached)

I've had this behaviour on multiple laptops; most recently my Lenovo X1 Carbon.

Any ideas on why the drivers are throwing this dialog?

Wim
05-03-2013, 12:02 PM
Can you gather the logs when the reboot message appears as described here:

http://kb.displaylink.com/269

Thanks

Wim

tboggs13
05-05-2013, 01:09 AM
I was previously using the Lenovo USB 3 dock with my Surface and had removed the DisplayLink Display drivers but left the core drivers on the Surface. I quit using the Lenovo dock due to fuzzy image and mouse lag.

Just recently I purchased the Dell 2340T and thought I would give DisplayLink another shot. I just plugged it in and it reloaded the old drivers. I upgraded to the latest release and things seemed OK. However, as I moved from work to home I started getting the same reboot message as the OP. At work I plug directly into a monitor with USB 3.0 and display port. At home I just use USB with the 2340T. Both transitions requested a reboot every time. I find I can just close the message with no issue.

Today I uninstalled, rebooted, reinstalled, rebooted and then attached to the monitor. No prompt to reboot was made. I won't know till Monday if the problem is completely resolved.

tboggs13
05-07-2013, 12:37 AM
Today I undocked and ran my Surface Pro standalone for a while. It worked fine with no pop-up that I noticed.

When I got to work, I connected the Surface USB 3.0 port to my Dell u2913W monitor which has a USB 3.0 hub. I also have a StarTech USB 3.0 GB Ethernet adapter connected to the Dell Monitor. The monitor itself is connected via DisplayPort. Soon as I connected, the message popped up saying the changes required a reboot.

Normally I just lock my Surface, disconnect it and bring it home. Today, I signed out before disconnecting. When I got home and hooked into the Dell 2340T, I did not get the popup requesting reboot.

Previously, I was getting the message at both locations.

mwesterhold
05-07-2013, 05:16 PM
Same issues with the X1 Carbon and the USB 3.0 dock.

Logs pulled, where should they be sent?

Wim
05-08-2013, 11:47 AM
Please post the logs on this thread.

Wim

orgwizard
01-09-2014, 02:02 PM
I'm running the latest displaylink software, and have seen this now with several versions, currently on win 8.1, and I believe it was also with 8.0.
I'm also thinking this seems to be more of an issue when using multiple docks and I believe only when moving between them when the system is hibernated.

JamesH
01-19-2014, 12:24 AM
I'm running the latest displaylink software, and have seen this now with several versions, currently on win 8.1, and I believe it was also with 8.0.
I'm also thinking this seems to be more of an issue when using multiple docks and I believe only when moving between them when the system is hibernated.

Hi,

Nothing from our end - we need the logs to investigate this issue.

Please download this tool and attach the generated logs:
http://www.displaylink.com/support/ticket.php?id=269

Thanks,
James

mharr
01-20-2014, 11:27 AM
I also started receiving this message within the past few days. I am running 2 Dell SuperSpeed USB Docking Station (Dell branded version of Targus ACP70USZ), one at home and one at office. If I suspend my Dell Precision M6600 laptop (running Windows 8.1) at one, I get the message to restart when I resume while connected at the other. Attached are the DisplayLink utility log files you are requesting.

JamesH
01-26-2014, 12:19 AM
Hi all,

Sorry for the delay in replying.

I'm working through this issue at the moment.

Thanks,
James

JamesH
02-03-2014, 04:16 PM
Hi all,

Please try R7.4 M4 which should resolve this issue.
http://www.displaylink.com/support/downloads.php

Thanks,
James

orgwizard
02-06-2014, 03:12 PM
sorry for the delay, guess I forgot to set the request to be notified up new posts for this thread.
I'm attaching my logs...
just got the issue this morning, and I believe I'm using 7.5 M0
also worth noting, I've been using the laptop with my displaylink dock at work for days without issue.
used it with my dock at home today, for the first time in at least a week or two and got the error.
let me know if this helps or you need other info.

JamesH
02-07-2014, 04:04 PM
Hi,

Can you try 7.4 M4?

You'll need to uninstall 7.5 M0 first and then install 7.4 M4.

Thanks,
James

orgwizard
02-22-2014, 07:43 PM
sorry for the delay, I how hopeing to find a pattern or something that allowed me to reproduce the restart prompt more reliably.
unfortuntely, it's still happening, several times now, though not after every shutdown and start up, and turning the dock on after login.

so there must be some other factor in play that I've not yet figured out.

new diag file is attached

Wim
03-12-2014, 08:52 AM
sorry for the delay, I how hopeing to find a pattern or something that allowed me to reproduce the restart prompt more reliably.
unfortuntely, it's still happening, several times now, though not after every shutdown and start up, and turning the dock on after login.

so there must be some other factor in play that I've not yet figured out.

new diag file is attached

Since you have Visual Studio installed, can you check the process name of the reboot prompt window? To do this:
1. Run Spy++
2. Press Ctrl+F
3. Drag and drop the crosshair pointer on the restart prompt window
4. Click OK
5. In Property Inspector window open Process card and click Process ID link which would reveal the module name.

Thanks

Wim